Express Daisy Sidings - Anshurst - an Inglenook

21 hours ago, Durley said:

Great to see Daisy at Southampton yesterday and great to chat to you Andy. As I mentioned when we spoke, you’ve inspired me to progress with my own dairy based layout in O gauge!

Cheers, John

That's great. 

I am so glad that you took inspiration from me and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Can I suggest that you start a new topic in this section of RMweb to describe your adventure.

The process of putting into words and pictures, I find, helps get the creative juices flowing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am just starting to pack the layout up ready for the weekend at Basingstoke.

I find it interesting that I now have to take 2 boxes of bits for the layout. The original plan being to take just one box.

The extra box is filled with tools and spare stock. Including the spare shunter, still unfinished.

Since Southampton I have done some work on the layout. This might be helpful for anyone following my steps.

First the trees. 

These are sea moss just planted into the baseboard. One of these was starting to come loose and was beginning to break, so I stiffened the base with a cocktail stick and wrapped tape around it. The tree now has a fatter trunk and this has actually improved the look of it. 

I have also given them another coat of flock. 

For this I dabbed on some PVA and spinkled flock over the glue. I then shook the tree/ baseboard and then sprayed the tree with some hairspray.

Hopefully that will stay on for some time.

The uncoupling magnets.

I found that in practice, that these did not drop far enough away, with the result that the coupling hook would remain dropped. 

So I have for an experiment installed a longer arm on the magnet in the back road, so the magnet drops further away.

I also noted that some of the AJ couplings were not behaving when uncoupling. I checked all of the stock and found that this was its worse when coupled to the locomotive. It seems that the short hook highlights the problem that some couplers would not pull down clear.

This turned out to be either, the dropper being too short and too high, or that the  hook was pressing hard against the stop. 

[It should just rest on the stop]

Finally some of the wagons were too free rolling. I had made the mistake of having a small rise on the rear siding, with the result that free running wagons will roll out.

To reduce the free running, I have put some foam rubber under the chassis that touches the tyre of one of the wheels.

It does not seem to introduce too much drag so that the loco stalls, but hopefully enough to stop runaways.

I have also decided to simplify the puzzle for younger operators as the full 5-3-3 puzzle takes them too long and parents (and I) get bored.

So I shall suggest that they just have to make up the first 3 wagons of the train and run it as either a 3-2-2 puzzle with 2 wagons in the headshunt, or just 3 wagons but allow the full headshunt. 

If you at Basingstoke this weekend, please do come by and say hello. It looks to be a good show.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Will be good to see 'Daisy' again - I'm helping Mark & Chris with Merstone & Ventnor West on Saturday, and I believe we're right next to you and Ropley.

• Like 1

Daisy had a good day today. The little 48DS shunted up and down all day with no problems

A few people had a go and we have a new high score with the train still ending up in the wrong siding. 

But it doesn't matter about the score, it was the fun we had getting there.

I look forward to tomorrow and perhaps see some of you.

20240309_122824.jpg.59fae33d37bb60cf4d25a0331ca4a2e2.jpg

20240309_122833.jpg.5811fa3a6afb18ba62da56f885019ae5.jpg

20240309_122836.jpg.51e1b1644812404971eb25b4b686d22a.jpg

Happy shunting.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, brightspark said:

Daisy had a good day today. The little 48DS shunted up and down all day with no problems

A few people had a go and we have a new high score with the train still ending up in the wrong siding. 

But it doesn't matter about the score, it was the fun we had getting there.

I look forward to tomorrow and perhaps see some of you.

20240309_122824.jpg.59fae33d37bb60cf4d25a0331ca4a2e2.jpg

20240309_122833.jpg.5811fa3a6afb18ba62da56f885019ae5.jpg

20240309_122836.jpg.51e1b1644812404971eb25b4b686d22a.jpg

Happy shunting.

Good to have a natter this morning, though I never did get the chance to come and have another play!

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Good to have a natter this morning, though I never did get the chance to come and have another play!

It is there waiting for you. Listen to the Siren sound, calling, calling, calling you. 

Well you were busy with the Isle of White layouts. They are impressive.

It was nice to have a chat.

I've not been on RMweb for some considerable time, so found it quite interesting that you and I are going down similar paths.  In more ways than one too, subject matter and motive power and mine is also almost an Inglenook ,by default rather than design. Mine is 7mm , a dairy, but is 0-16.5 and one of the loco's is a modified dock shunter.  

So, a photo for you to mull over. Clicking on it should take you to my Flickr site and click on the Album "The Creamery" if you're interested.

IMG_0981

IMG_0984

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 14

Good to hear you'll be at the Mid Essex show, hopefully I'll make that, look forward to seeing Daisy sidings 🙂

Edited by sb67
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2024 at 22:14, Phil Traxson said:

I've not been on RMweb for some considerable time, so found it quite interesting that you and I are going down similar paths.  In more ways than one too, subject matter and motive power and mine is also almost an Inglenook ,by default rather than design. Mine is 7mm , a dairy, but is 0-16.5 and one of the loco's is a modified dock shunter.  

So, a photo for you to mull over. Clicking on it should take you to my Flickr site and click on the Album "The Creamery" if you're interested.

IMG_0981

IMG_0984

Very nice.

I like the use of the dock shunter and the narrow gauge wagons to carry the tank.

• Thanks 1