Bute Road, ?

Andrew P

4 hours ago, georgeT said:

Platforms very neat Buddy..

Agree there George absolutely spot on all very impressive as normal .......though I did not from the pictures Andy your still using a 0 gauge  hammer so the Darkside hasn't totally gone away :smoke:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, IAN K said:

Hi  Andy its coming on great ,keep eating the cakes you will need a bigger entrance haha .watching the layout on you tube. Very informative.:read:

Thanks Eeee, I'm half way through the next Video, and if I finish it over the weekend I will post it early next week.

Glad your enjoying it mate, keep well, and give Barry my regards when you see him.

• Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, Jerry1975 said:

Looking good,  I like your technique for the platforms. 

Jerry. 

Thanks Jerry, its the easiest method I've ever found for curved Platforms, I used this method on Bitton, Pencarne Junction and Pencarne the BLT. As I've said its great for home Layouts, but can be restrictive for Exhibition use due to its weight.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Jerry, its the easiest method I've ever found for curved Platforms, I used this method on Bitton, Pencarne Junction and Pencarne the BLT. As I've said its great for home Layouts, but can be restrictive for Exhibition use due to its weight.

I suppose you could use balsa or foam but you might not get the exact thickness and the top surface would need more work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I suppose you could use balsa or foam but you might not get the exact thickness and the top surface would need more work.

Yes, one advantage of the MDF is the height, and even if you wanted a Paving top, it could be done with Metcalfe or Superquick paper without adding to the thickness.

If a Card topping is used, the Peco sides can still be made level with the top edge, even though it might be half a mm higher, as the ballast will disguise the gap at the bottom.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, IAN K said:

Hi Andy I'll be seeing barry on monday ,the old club picture brought back memories .I'll be looking forward to your next video.

Cheers Ian, Memories for me too, but sadly not all good.

New Video could be out as soon as Monday, as I'm working on 5 and 6 now.

• Like 1

So we finished yesterday with the basic Peco Platform edging laid.

I thought I had enough edging to finish the job this morning but the two products I would normally use, Slaters Plasticard, and Peco Walling was in short supply in my stock box.

A quick trip to Wicor Models at Portchester did not bear fruit, so in the end I purchased a pack of Metcalfe MOO57, Cut Stonework  and to be honest, I'm rather pleased with it.

Now your going to ask; How did you stick the card to the Plastic Peco Edging?

Well the answer was Prit Stick.

SORRY, I forgot to photograph the walling fitted until after I'd laid the Track.:banghead:

IMG_5390.JPG.c632c696d45d34cefbb9a1191f0d36d2.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG.cbf3e711ab06c059b0c2780b80e7860c.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG.4ce72a1652288dc569722ec8d1e40e05.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG.0d0fb2f6e2369eacccda2149da5a1ac6.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG.8309c598231c1ae195ba00e87d55f411.JPG

• Like 13

The next job after lunch was to make a start on laying the cork and Track.

Corks was cut into strips just wide enough using a piece of Carpet Door Trim, it just the right width and GIVEN to me FREE OF CHARGE by my old mate George @georgeT about 100 years ago.

IMG_5403.JPG.3bacf9c135a37c9c32de8b0f9d761071.JPG

Next up to do a tester around in front of the Platform and cut the cork into wedges to take the curve.

It matters not if there are gaps in the cork, as the Ballast will hide it all.

IMG_5404.JPG.3136e23858bebcfc826594c708714dc4.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG.93ac3aea0a4c47d8a5d49eaf724b2d3c.JPG

IMG_5406.JPG.e882f053b50ac6e1a2754461b4932aa9.JPG

• Like 8

To fix the cork in place I used Wicks Spray adhesive as used for floor and carpet tiles. I did shield the platform whilst doing the spraying as it can be a little wayward at times.

IMG_5410.JPG.e8ea900e3fb3dc4f71de340fa1a6e911.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG.88f09b78bda628c5bed0e4b3df4abafe.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG.579fb6f537a61d8997735a36ce7515c8.JPG

You will also notice I covered the board gap as I said I would, see the next Video for more information on this.

IMG_5413.JPG.447d68ddc8b94c0bbf52b0b21a795d39.JPG

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, David Bell said:

All looking great Andy. You had a good day!

Cheers

David

Thanks and yes I did David, I have just finished Editing Video No 5, and that may well come on here later this evening, and then I can start on Video No 6, and tomorrow, hopefully get Platform 2 / 3 done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

EWS 66 looking good there , 

one of my favourite Bachmann models .

Did u sell all the 7mm ?

Hi Rob, Yep, every last nook and crannie of 7mm has gone now, and just loving the fact that I am building my new 4mm Empire to sit back and just watch slow Freight circulating very soon.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Rob, Yep, every last nook and crannie of 7mm has gone now, and just loving the fact that I am building my new 4mm Empire to sit back and just watch slow Freight circulating very soon.

Cool . Does get expensive though changing scale .

I know I've gone OO - dabble N- OO dabble O - OO.

I keep returning to oo though as so much more is available 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Cool . Does get expensive though changing scale .

I know I've gone OO - dabble N- OO dabble O - OO.

I keep returning to oo though as so much more is available 

I have done all the Gauge swapping, but I can't bring myself to sell anything, so the loft is full of N, OO, HO, HOm,O, 1 and 3 and a few bits and pieces in other scales too. I dare not work out how much It all cost!

All part of the fun though

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Ray H said:

You can have slow freights in O gauge too Andy.

You just turn the controller down   :jester:

Hat, coat & (fast) skateboard, I'm gone.

But not roundy, roundy young Raymond.:D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, David Bell said:

I have done all the Gauge swapping, but I can't bring myself to sell anything, so the loft is full of N, OO, HO, HOm,O, 1 and 3 and a few bits and pieces in other scales too. I dare not work out how much It all cost!

All part of the fun though

Its called saving for the Pension David :)  When you come to sell it you can buy that holiday shed in Skegness for the summer!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3