RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

Intriguing. I’ve been wondering why ‘white vans’ aren’t a major market for electric or perhaps range-extended hybrid. Local delivery vans, along with milk floats, was one of the ‘last redoubts’ of the first generation EV ...... I think a hotel launderer was using them in London until possibly the 1980s.

Edited by Nearholmer

That vehicle segment is seeing a number of new EV vans being introduced.

It is seen as a growth area, but high initial costs, due to R&D and the rapid developments in the technology, have held the commercial vehicle sector back until now.

As with passenger cars, I'm fairly convinced that landscape will look much different in three or four years time.

It's such a no-brainer.

C&C Taxis in St Austell run a fleet of Leafs. They save about £8,500 on fuel & servicing per car per year.

China apparently buys a London sized fleet of electric buses every five weeks.

The electric car that I would really like, but won't be able to afford when it arrives c2022, is the new version of the VW Microbus, so this van version caught my eye

https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/19/vw-reimagines-the-microbus-as-an-all-electric-cargo-hauler/

whether or not its practical, it does look good, doesn't it?

Intriguing. I’ve been wondering why ‘white vans’ aren’t a major market for electric or perhaps range-extended hybrid. Local delivery vans, along with milk floats, was one of the ‘last redoubts’ of the first generation EV ...... I think a hotel launderer was using them in London until possibly the 1980s.

In the late 1980s Royal Mail were using electric converted(?)  Leyland Sherpas (or whatever the big Sherpa variant was called) around Newcastle (quite possibly elsewhere too, but that's where I saw them). I don't know how successful the exercise was though.

I'm very interested in light commercial EVs. Something equivalent to our current Fiat Scudo would do very nicely for 99% of our usage and would be effectively free to charge, given our already extant, somewhat oversized, PV system.

I'm very interested in light commercial EVs. Something equivalent to our current Fiat Scudo would do very nicely for 99% of our usage and would be effectively free to charge, given our already extant, somewhat oversized, PV system.

The e-nv200 is the most plentiful and cheap used in 24kWh form.

Beware it has a range of around 60 miles in winter and both 6.6kW and 50kW charging were optional extras. If you don't check you might find yourself with only 3.3kW charging.

The current version has a 40kWh battery but you won't find a cheap one.

The e-nv200 is the most plentiful and cheap used in 24kWh form.

Beware it has a range of around 60 miles in winter and both 6.6kW and 50kW charging were optional extras. If you don't check you might find yourself with only 3.3kW charging.

The current version has a 40kWh battery but you won't find a cheap one.

Thanks but, given that I'm in Australia, I don't think any EV commercials are yet available to me, new or used. When they are, I'm hoping for a 200 km range, laden, because anything less won't make the round trips we'd need it to do, with uncertain availability of charging facilities at the far end. I suspect that, by the time Oz gets anything like a reasonable selection of EVs, both the range and the in-the-field charging will be easily available.

Well, there's this, but funnily enough I don't want an aftermarket conversion based on a Chinese HiAce knock-off. I've seen enough of the inside of both industries to make me not want to touch one with a bargepole.

Edited by PatB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A comment on a retirement car thread in Wheeltappers implied that cars only ever depreciate, and that got me thinking about the value of our EV, since the question is also asked on insurance and extended warranty forms

(although I must add that since we brought it in April 2017 the only faults have been fixed by resetting the home charger and tightening a loose connection on the 12v battery).

It seems after nearly two years you can't get a battery lease Zoe much cheaper than what we paid, and when they are they are 12-18 months older with 3x the mileage. That's all nice to know, but has anyone heard if these price increases causes issues with insurance valuations, should the unthinkable occur?

Auto Express article.

Testing the UK's EV charging station network in a Hyundai Kona.....

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/kona/104813/testing-the-uks-ev-charging-station-network-in-a-hyundai-kona

Thanks for the link, that is a very useful article - especially the effects of regenerative braking on increasing the vehicle range per charge. 

Maybe I could get from Somerset to Norfolk on a full charge? (This is my benchmark for considering changing to EV from petrol). 

My enthusiasm for electric vehicles is tempered somewhat by the cost of accessories. £380 seems a little excessive for a charging cable between a 3-pin socket and the EV on the drive. 

https://www.4ev.co.uk/10-metre-type-1-portable-evse-uk-charging-cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64vmrYPK3wIVT0PTCh2YEwcNEAkYASABEgKIp_D_BwE#anchor-23177

• RMweb Premium

My enthusiasm for electric vehicles is tempered somewhat by the cost of accessories. £380 seems a little excessive for a charging cable between a 3-pin socket and the EV on the drive. 

https://www.4ev.co.uk/10-metre-type-1-portable-evse-uk-charging-cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64vmrYPK3wIVT0PTCh2YEwcNEAkYASABEgKIp_D_BwE#anchor-23177

To be fair, it is rather more than just a cable. There is quite a lot going on in that little box at one end of the cable.

Also, my Hyundai Ionic came provided with a similar cable, and another cable for plugging in to dedicated charge points, either at home or out and about. Both came with special carry cases/bags.

I've been retired now for over 9 years - Any old but reliable car will do for me as a runaround, currently our (bought when one year old) 1999 Ford Galaxy 2.3 Petrol the wife uses mainly, not an economical car by any means (26 mpg av) but in good order and fully depreciated now. I bought it for £12000 back in 2001, it's been a great family car. My current runaround is a 2008 Seat Leon 1.6 petrol. Again not very efficient (30 mpg av). I paid just under 3 grand for it and have had for 2 years - a good reliable car (it's really a VW Golf in drag !!) - both the above do around 4 - 5000 miles / year each.

I still have my old Rover 3.5 P5B V8 saloon in the garage - THAT's my retirement car (Bought for £800 back in 1982). MPG ? - don't ask (18 approx !!). Hopefully it will last until oil runs out !!.

Electric cars / Hybrids ? - Not for me at the moment. I don't do enough miles to justify the expense and depreciation. Perhaps in a few years time. There are, for me, still too many questions re these (much discussed) - time will tell - though I'm certain long term they are the future.

I budget depreciation for my cars at £1000 / year max. Of course the Rover has appreciated, insured at £10K but realistically has a value around £6 - 7 K. I bought a VW Polo saloon off my mate for a Grand in 2004, gave it to my son a couple of years ago, he traded it in for a Hyundai i30 diesel last year and got £200 for it - We did over 40,000 miles in that car over the years, no major repairs, just tyres, exhaust, starter motor & timing belt. Hope the seat will do the same (it's got the same engine !!). 

When (if !!) the Galaxy needs replacing wife will drive the Leon and I'll probably get a Toyota Auris or Avensis - whatever I get it will be a petrol - I only do short runs and modern diesels don't like short runs.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• RMweb Premium

Where are you getting your electricity?

I pay 12p/kWh. 5p when they can be bothered to put the smart meter in.

We waited over a year for our Smart meter from Green Energy (three cancelled appointments), gave up last month and are now back with Eon at a better rate than the normal GE rate!

Not yet read the whole thread and will not comment when I do, so much carp written by people who say “I had an open mind” and then trash EVs with ridiculous anecdotes and hearsay “facts”, it’s like reading the comments thread of TopGear ten years ago LOL.

That is good to know, because I can't expect all my rural relatives to have charging points fitted just for the few times I visit.

My EVSE has sat unused and unopened in the boot for close to two years. And that's in a 24kWh Leaf with a winter range of ~70 miles.

It's not an issue. It's even less of an issue with the new crop of EVs with a ~300 mile range.

BTW I've done 19,571 miles this year on £578 of electricity. I've driven the petrol car once and that was to take it for it's MOT.

My EVSE has sat unused and unopened in the boot for close to two years. And that's in a 24kWh Leaf with a winter range of ~70 miles.

It's not an issue. It's even less of an issue with the new crop of EVs with a ~300 mile range.

BTW I've done 19,571 miles this year on £578 of electricity. I've driven the petrol car once and that was to take it for it's MOT.

That maybe ok in urban areas, but there are not many charging points in the Yorkshire Dales that I can find. 

That maybe ok in urban areas, but there are not many charging points in the Yorkshire Dales that I can find. 

I guess it's a planning issue since they are very neatly not in in national parks.

• RMweb Gold

Have I mentioned this? I live very rural, but for the last couple of years my postie has used an electric van. Issues arise when it hasn’t been charged overnight! Her male oppo still uses diesel, is sniffy about the range on electric. I imagine the van is a sort of van-Zoe.