The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

5 hours ago, Fenman said:

Someone on Twitter has already compared it to Homer Simpson's design for a Canyonero...

Paul

Speaking of Homer Simpson, I notice you can buy DUFF beer in my local Aldi.

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to see if the next Toyota Mirai looks anything like the concept car Toyota is showing off or whether it is the old trick of developing a stylish concept car and then using a photocopier to style the new model. 

I know a chap who drives a Mirai as a company car and it is all very normal and well sorted. It feels like just another Toyota (for good or bad).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 30801 said:

This is what the Cybertruck thinks of the Ford F-150

I'd hope so really - one of the key advantages of electric motors over IC engines is the low-end torque. I note that the F150 was in 2wd mode too...

So far I've seen two electric pickups - this and the Rivian. Both look ridiculous. Can we please have an electric pickup that looks like a pickup?

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Nick C said:

So far I've seen two electric pickups - this and the Rivian. Both look ridiculous. Can we please have an electric pickup that looks like a pickup?

Looks like something out of a low-budget 80s sci-fi film.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I'd hope so really - one of the key advantages of electric motors over IC engines is the low-end torque. I note that the F150 was in 2wd mode too...

I’d also wager the weight of the Tesla truck is way above that of a 2wd F150.......totally irrelevant test.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

I note that the F150 was in 2wd mode too...

It was also being towed backwards before it started trying to move forward so never stood a chance. Very rigged.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I’d also wager the weight of the Tesla truck is way above that of a 2wd F150.......totally irrelevant test.

48 minutes ago, 57xx said:

It was also being towed backwards before it started trying to move forward so never stood a chance. Very rigged.

Which does make you wonder - given that it should have been able to win hands down, why would they need to cheat?

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

I assume this only affects new Zoes and will have no effect on those that were bought with a lease?

Yep. Presumably it's just the new 52kWh version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2019 at 15:52, Nick C said:

Maybe they should have tried pulling a Sentinel Steam Wagon instead.

Not exactly vast HP but masses of low end torque.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, spikey said:

I read that document and to be honest I think it represents a lot of what is wrong with the debate on this issue. Despite making claims about increases in emissions it does not quantify emissions and is instead derived from a series of highly simplistic assumptions. You can quantify emissions pretty easily from looking at fuel use by sector however that would appear to be too much effort.

On 18/11/2019 at 08:08, Budgie said:

Whaaa...? You can't blame the cars for the way the Chinese generate their electricity. 

AH but if it wasnt for the need to charge all the electric cars they wouldnt need to produce as much electricity or burn as much coal would they, so you can, sort of.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There are a few PHEVs coming out which offer sufficient range to allow many people to use them as EVs for most of the time with the ICE there for long trips and which aren't that much more than the regular petrol or diesel versions. The new MB A Class seems to claim a 42 mile EV range, that would cover 90+% of my driving and still facilitate long trips on occasion. It is a very attractive proposition. The BMW 330e also looks good. I think a range of 30 - 40 miles is probably the sweet spot for a PHEV in allowing pure EV running most of the time for many use cases without making the battery too big. Below 30 miles and I would still use the engine most days.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

There are a few PHEVs coming out which offer sufficient range to allow many people to use them as EVs for most of the time with the ICE there for long trips and which aren't that much more than the regular petrol or diesel versions. The new MB A Class seems to claim a 42 mile EV range, that would cover 90+% of my driving and still facilitate long trips on occasion. It is a very attractive proposition. The BMW 330e also looks good. I think a range of 30 - 40 miles is probably the sweet spot for a PHEV in allowing pure EV running most of the time for many use cases without making the battery too big. Below 30 miles and I would still use the engine most days.

Agree, but I’d like/need a local range of 50 miles or so but one issue to consider is some PHEVs do not let you use “full acceleration” on just electric alone, many force the ICE to cut in when under high load, hopefully more will allow you to choose EV mode only regardless of load.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I noticed when test driving a Mini Countryman that despite the Cooper S hot hatch marketing it was rather pedestrian in EV mode and if you do exploit the power (and it is indeed a fast car when using all the available power) it uses a lot of fuel, albeit hopefully less than a pure ICE hot hatch.

I think with PHEVs the whole issue of whether or not they make sense completely depends upon the use case. I see a lot of articles slamming them because if you are a motorway mile muncher they are thirstier than an efficient diesel. Even there I suspect it depends how they are driven) but that's not really the use case they are meant for and misses the point that most people drive a much more modest distance most days. If a PHEV can cover a typical daily mileage for you as an EV and you want the capability to do a bit of mile munching then a PHEV can present a compelling case. Especially now the price gap is narrowing. I tested a Volvo T8 and it is a terrific car but even with the generous discounts available it is expensive. The BMW 330e on the other hand is very competitive with ICE 3 series.

I tested the Countryman PHEV and despite my prejudices about a big Mini and softroader SUVs found it a very likeable car, however the EV range was just a little short and it was giving just under 20 miles. Unfortunately Milton Keynes isn't the best place for car economy (although it might be the best place for getting around quickly) so a just sub-20 mile range may well equate to the claimed range elsewhere. If the new A class claims 42 miles then I think there is a  good chance it will meet the magic 30 I want with a gentle right foot. Milton Keynes is great in terms of an extremely effective road system which allows you to get anywhere very quickly but a national speed limit road network with roundabouts every few hundred metres kills car economy (and tyres) and it really infuriates people when you do get cars clogging the system by doing 30.

I think the PHEV is a transitional technology but it is a transition that may be an ideal compromise for now.

• Agree 1