The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 30801 said:

Halton Borough Council have been generating some interest with this charger installation.

Why is like that?

Because everyone usually parks on the pavement and they didn't want the chargers to get hit.

301536935.jpg.gallery.jpg.199ed3377f22725f90d6e3b030fc5017.jpg

Looks designed by someone out to make electric cars look as bad as possible. Or just an idiot.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Looks designed by someone out to make electric cars look as bad as possible. Or just an idiot.

The charging points being so far back are hazards.

Cars should not be on the kerb, so this creates trailing cables & effectively makes the section path between charge point & roadway unusable.

People will still use this area though & is only a matter of time before somebody will trip on a cable & injure themselves. In today's blame culture it will be somebody else's fault, probably whoever agreed for them to be put there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The charging points being so far back are hazards.

Cars should not be on the kerb, so this creates trailing cables & effectively makes the section path between charge point & roadway unusable.

Those chargers should really be combined with proper 'park half on the pavement' markings.

• RMweb Gold

The in-laws have ventured into the hybrid world - just bought a BMW 330e, I couldn’t convince them to go totally electric as they have range anxiety - I think that’s a perceived problem rather than an actual problem but it was still enough to put them off. It got me thinking - most of their journeys will be within the range of the batteries so shouldn’t be using too much fuel, will the fuel go off before they’ve used it all?

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, StuAllen said:

The in-laws have ventured into the hybrid world - just bought a BMW 330e, I couldn’t convince them to go totally electric as they have range anxiety - I think that’s a perceived problem rather than an actual problem but it was still enough to put them off. It got me thinking - most of their journeys will be within the range of the batteries so shouldn’t be using too much fuel, will the fuel go off before they’ve used it all?

No, we have the range extender i3 and the REX engine only runs every 5 weeks or so for 10 minutes on the maintenance cycle, the petrol in the tank has been in for almost two years now, I actually cannot remember which petrol station the 9 litre tank was topped up from, modern petrol is fine except when it gets water/condensation mixed with it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I made my first journey beyond the 100% charge of the batteries on my ID.3 yesterday.  I downloaded the Ecotricity app and set off with a reported 243 miles range but knowing I would be doing a significant part of the journey on motorways so probably reducing the potential mileage achievable and needing to re-charge en route.  I'd checked and figured out where was the most likely place to get a bite to eat and re-charge so arrived and found a suitable charge point unoccupied.  Now my little problems started.  The sunshine was so bright that seeing what was on the screen of my mobile was virtually impossible.  I must have looked a right idiot as I twisted this way and that trying to see the screen until a fellow BEV owner came along and offered to help.  He, too, had never had to re-charge away from home thanks (as for me) to the lockdown (and making no journeys beyond local shopping trips and the tip) so he wanted to see how to do it.  Between us we managed to hook up and charging commenced so off I went to get my snack.  After about 40 minutes I went back to the car and all looked OK so I decided to get in, put the windows down and have a siesta.  A bit later I checked and it still seemed all OK so I went off to the loo before setting off again.  When I came back and checked the state of the charge, to my annoyance it had been stopped and I reckoned I would probably need more to complete my journey.  It turned out that in my getting in and out and shutting the driver's door, locking and unlocking the car I had somehow loosened the cable connection.  I decided to complete the outward leg of my trip and see how things stood then.  As I started my return journey, I figured I would probably just make it home with about 20-25 miles range left so decided to go for it.

About 30 miles from home up came the ominous message that I had sufficient charge for 51 miles so should re-charge asap.  As most of this last stretch to home is maximum 50mph speed limited, I figured my calculation was still good so carried on.   I made it home with 18 miles worth of charge remaining and found an invoice for £2.70 from Electric Highway awaiting me.

The car is now hooked up to the SPVs and my 230+ mile trip was a cheap day out but I'll probably seek a wider margin of remaining charge next time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

Oh, apparently the DVLA want to give me free money because I overpaid my tax which has been £0 the last few years :D

1717071882_Screenshot2021-06-27at14_55_03.png.e1dcb63e5374d43ea40d74fbc43bb0d0.png

18 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

No range anxiety and no ludicrous long stops, just short breaks at a supercharger (just long enough for a cooked breakfast :-)) combined with home or workplace charging points.

Vegetarian and cooked with electricity to maintain your green credentials, I hope.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

locally sourced (its owned by the farm) though the coffee probably isn't local ;-)

Sheep droppings coffee  

Can you tell I don’t like coffee?:D

35 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Vegetarian and cooked with electricity to maintain your green credentials, I hope.

Don't start. I posted something similar on a Leaf FB group once and half of them turn out to be militant vegans.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

locally sourced (its owned by the farm) though the coffee probably isn't local ;-)

I sometimes wonder about the locally sourced aspect of food, does that mean no-one outside the area wants to buy it because it's not good enough?!!

Mike.

All hydrogen does is fix tailpipe emissions which isn't a bad thing but...

You get your hydrogen from steam reforming natural gas which is dirty. Or you get it from electrolysis which is much less efficient than just powering things directly by electricity. 

3 hours ago, 30801 said:

All hydrogen does is fix tailpipe emissions which isn't a bad thing but...

You get your hydrogen from steam reforming natural gas which is dirty. Or you get it from electrolysis which is much less efficient than just powering things directly by electricity. 

But you don't' get the environmental effects of lithium mining

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Every solution has its drawbacks at the moment.

Hydrogen & Batteries both move the dirtiness away even though they may still be cleaner overall than petrol or diesel.

Batteries are also very heavy, whether they are charged or not. Hauling all that weight around all the time is not ideal.

I am sure alternatives will be developed but how soon? Maybe a cleaner, more energy dense way of storing electricity is the best thing to investigate?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

But that's a one time hit and you get to reuse/recycle the batteries.

If you keep drilling for gas you just keep drilling for gas.