The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

A nice overview piece in today’s Guardian — and more praise for the new Enyaq too.

The author does seem to be spectacularly badly organised, such that he even has to spend two nights sleeping in his car. But that just makes me think if he can anyway manage a long-distance EV journey, anyone can. 

Paul

1 hour ago, Fenman said:

The author does seem to be spectacularly badly organised, such that he even has to spend two nights sleeping in his car. But that just makes me think if he can anyway manage a long-distance EV journey, anyone can. 

LEJOG in a 300 mile range EV is hardly challenge. Hordes of people have done it in 24kWh Leafs. More than a few have probably done it in a Twizzy.

• RMweb Gold

It’s an interesting read, but has highlighted some interesting points about availability of chargers. It seems a bit short sighted of the providers to only allow access if you have their loyalty card or app, why not just allow people to put their bank card in and charge it. 

• Agree 1

Judging by the purchase price quoted, the Grauniad author was using an Enyaq with the small capacity battery.

Not much use unless you never drive longer distances and not ideal for that trip.

It seems VW, Audi and Skoda are struggling to shift the small battery models (ID3, ID4, Q4 e-tron, Enyaq). Most customers want the higher capacity batteries.

The mention of the government grant is suspect too.

"This one costs £34,495 to buy, including a £2,500 government grant." 

That's no longer possible.

22 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

It’s an interesting read, but has highlighted some interesting points about availability of chargers. It seems a bit short sighted of the providers to only allow access if you have their loyalty card or app, why not just allow people to put their bank card in and charge it. 

All new rapid chargers have to provide contactless payment.

40 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Judging by the purchase price quoted, the Grauniad author was using an Enyaq with the small capacity battery.

Not much use unless you never drive longer distances and not ideal for that trip.

It seems VW, Audi and Skoda are struggling to shift the small battery models (ID3, ID4, Q4 e-tron, Enyaq). Most customers want the higher capacity batteries.

The mention of the government grant is suspect too.

"This one costs £34,495 to buy, including a £2,500 government grant." 

That's no longer possible.

As someone who has done quite long road trips in both 30 and 40 KWh Leafs the smaller Enyaq is perfectly capable. Customers will want smaller battery models when they get their second EV. As by then they will have realised they’ve shelled out thousands on an unnecessarily large battery first time round.

The key enabler as always is charging infrastructure.

idd

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ron Ron Ron said:

An inevitable consequence of a significant change, anything like that will start off as a bit of a free-for-all and eventually require a degree of external organisation and banging heads together to make it widespread practical, at least if you're going to push for fairly rapid change rather than let it sort itself out in the long run.

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, 30801 said:

The 7 wins at 'Biggest grille on a car that doesn't need a grille at all'

Pedestrian safety? Aerodynamics? Nah, we don't need any of those either...

it's quite funny how they recess the door-handles to improve airflow, then shape the front like a brick...

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, idd15 said:

Another interesting idea to overcome the problems with on street parking and charging.

Pavement chargers

idd

Ok till the local yobs vandalise them, and dogs think they are lamp posts !!

Beware the yellow stained (or worse) ones !!!!

Brit15

I am currently here in Dusseldorf, have noticed electic charger leads crossing the public footpath, does not seem to be a problem, but in the UK it would be as everyone would fall over it, or it would be stolen. Not an ideal solution but in the short team it works.

37 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

So motorists have to buy and carry the lance around. The additional weight will cost too! An odd solution to a serious problem. 

There are chargers where the whole thing rises from the ground but they are no doubt much more expensive to install.

I'm not sure about this one and there are no videos I could see of the actual device in use, just some CGI renderings.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, fulton said:

I am currently here in Dusseldorf, have noticed electic charger leads crossing the public footpath, does not seem to be a problem, but in the UK it would be as everyone would fall over it, or it would be stolen. Not an ideal solution but in the short team it works.

I think charging lead theft is more of a problem in the US, so far. I don't think the UK copper thieves have taken this up yet, preferring longer lengths of high voltage cables in rural locations.

Well... I've just read this complete topic from beginning to end and it took the best part of three days - there is a lot in here!

All very informative, too, especially things like the busting of the EV battery life myth and the info on charging companies. I even downloaded Zap-Map. About half-way through reading it all I thought I knew which BEVs I would like, but since then there have been so many new models that I'm more confused now than before I started!

I'd dearly love to own a BEV... my heart says 'yes' but my head says 'no'. Why? I bought a new car in March 2017 - a petrol Kia Rio 3. I know it wouldn't be a lot of people's first choice but it is pleasant enough to drive and best of all it was cheap! And given that I retired a couple of years ago I can't really financially justify replacing the Kia with an equivalent BEV unless the cost of unleaded skyrockets in the near future (a distinct possibility as it seems to be as high now as it has ever been) or unless the Kia is legislated out of too many city centres or other places. So it looks like I'll be running it until it is no longer economical to keep, which in some ways I'm hoping will be a good few years yet to maximise depreciation.

Maybe by then prices might have come down a bit and we'll know better which manufacturers are still in the game and which have lost out due to poor offerings (or have simply left it too late) and who are the new kids on the block.

So thanks for all the info - it was good to have so many first-hand, positive opinions. I look forward reading the new posts to keep up with developments.

Cheers, Neil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it is useful to get to hear first hand real world experiences from owners/drivers, rather than the conjecture, hype, and out of date information that is often bandied about.

I have had the electric company car two and a half years now, and hope a suitable BEV replacement is on the list when the 4 year lease is up. It has suited my needs admirably so far, but I am aware BEV cars are not suitable for everyone. Different conditions require different solutions. Everyone has to make their own decision, but it helps if the correct information is available to aid that decision.

• Like 1

Fully-charged-live-uk-events-banner-3-mi

Fully Charged Live 2021 has become Fully Charged Outside.

Originally due to be staged at Farnborough for the first time, last year (scuppered due to you know what), the event is now going ahead on the first weekend of September.

The first two Fully Charged Live events, held at Silverstone race circuit, were great successes and the move to Farnborough follows the search for a larger exhibition venue, with better access by public transport. 

The "Outside" element of the title, reflects that it's largely going to be an outdoor event, due to public safety concerns and restrictions.

Originally, Farnborough's large exhibition halls were to be used, but I've no idea how much of this facility will be utilised for this years show.

Apparently, every fully electric car currently on sale in the UK, or due to be on sale in the near future (next few months), that's over 40 different models, will be there.

There will also be electric buses and commercial vehicles (vans etc), as well as electric motor bikes, electric bikes and.....electric scooters.

The show also covers renewable energy, both new energy tech and suppliers.

This year will also have some representation from the world of electric flight, including those large drone like personal transports and air taxis. There's not much info on that ATM.

Click this link for details....

https://fullycharged.show/events/fully-charged-live-2021/

Edited by Ron Ron Ron