The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

21 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I read the quote as he's selling the conversion kits as a loss leader for overpriced fuel cells/maintenance.

I suspect the airlines would prefer to buy a normal coffee machine and run it regular beans to use his analogy.

The electric motors to replace the engines are (relatively) inexpensive. Unfortunately the fuel cells and other bits are very expensive but possibly not that bad compared to the other costs of an aircraft.

It's certainly an interesting play even if it ends up going nowhere.

3 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Can anyone remember the Hindenburg? In the 1980s(?) the Russians had a scheme for hydrogen powered airliners, quite rightly it was squashed. 

36 people died, less than half of those on board. Compare that with a modern airliner crash. What's your point?

Ah yes, the old Hindenburg argument. That has nothing to do with it and it's even be proved that the hydrogen didn't even explode. It burned and went straight up in the air. The doped envelope caught fire and did all the damage.

Hydrogen is actually a lot less dangerous than petrol.

• Agree 1

The point is that airliners use paraffin because it is very much safer than any of the alternatives including, of course, hydrogen, which extraordinarily inflammable. 

Paraffin has a very high conductivity which , effectively, puts out a flame. Hydrogen just goes up. I don't believe Hydrogen is going to be the airliners fuel of the future. 

14 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

was it Ford in The USA that lost a court case along those lines years ago? 

Ford Pinto. They got nailed when investigators found some Ford accounting  that said it was cheaper to pay compensation for burning some people to death than to pay the IIRC $11 per car to have a fuel tank that didn't explode.

41 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Plenty other cars have been as bad. Original Minis were quite prone to puncturing fuel tanks with the mounting bolts for the rear lights.

Plus you ended up wearing the engine on your legs from a front end collision 

best car I ever had though, my 1984 Mini 996cc HLE with brown vinyl roof & go faster stripes 

15 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The point is that airliners use paraffin because it is very much safer than any of the alternatives including, of course, hydrogen, which extraordinarily inflammable. 

Paraffin has a very high conductivity which , effectively, puts out a flame. Hydrogen just goes up. I don't believe Hydrogen is going to be the airliners fuel of the future. 

1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Oh dear! What is happening here is that oxygen is being excluded so the flame goes out. In the real world oxygen is always present so the flame will intensify.

Indeed it will. But at least it won't be burning in a puddle on the ground while you're trying to get out of the plane.

7 hours ago, 30801 said:

Indeed it will. But at least it won't be burning in a puddle on the ground while you're trying to get out of the plane.

Lots of things will burn quite explosively when combined with sufficient air, including iron filings.:o

1 minute ago, AndyID said:

Lots of things will burn quite explosively when combined with sufficient air, including iron filings.:o

When on my industrial placement from college doing electrical engineering I was in a large bakery. The bit where the flour & sugar hoppers were had all the electrics sealed against the possibility of a spark setting an explosion off... 

4 minutes ago, 30801 said:

When on my industrial placement from college doing electrical engineering I was in a large bakery. The bit where the flour & sugar hoppers were had all the electrics sealed against the possibility of a spark setting an explosion off... 

I lived in Paisley when this happened

https://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-history/brown-polson-disaster/

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 30801 said:

During the fireman's strike I was one of many wading around in the dough, after a bakery exploded, just by what is now London city airport. There wasn't much left of the buildings but the other flour  hoppers needed cooling to prevent another explosions.

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 1

Things tend to get a bit complicated.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/electric-vehicles-certainly-do-pollute-their-battery-packs-are-poised-to-be-one-of-the-biggest-new-sources-of-pollution-11634577011

I suspect this means is an additional cost (tax) will have to be added to the initial purchase to cover the cost of safe disposal.

Edited by AndyID
Moinfo

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Things tend to get a bit complicated.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/electric-vehicles-certainly-do-pollute-their-battery-packs-are-poised-to-be-one-of-the-biggest-new-sources-of-pollution-11634577011

I suspect this means is an additional cost (tax) will have to be added to the initial purchase to cover the cost of safe disposal.

I think there are too many variables simply to extrapolate the future in a straight line from today: EVs are still in their (relative) infancy, and battery technology is changing very rapidly — see here, for instance, where Hyundai is projecting Lithium-metal batteries which would increase the range of their new Ioniq 5 from 300 miles to 500 miles. Other manufacturers are pursuing other avenues.

Who knows what type of batteries will be the EV standard in 5 years, let alone 10?

But if we don’t know that, it’s hard to work out the recycling requirements or the environmental consequences. What we do know includes:

— car batteries can have a second life, as home storage batteries (this seems more plausible as the government decides our home heating must move from gas to electricity: combine that with PVs and the demand for home storage should massively increase just at the time loads of 2nd hand EV batteries are coming into the market);

— the materials used in batteries are valuable in themselves and are therefore economically worth recycling.

But I agree with you that this is all extremely complicated stuff. 

Paul

Edited by Fenman
Fat fongers

• RMweb Premium

At least in these early days, one thing that is being thought about by manufacturers of such batteries is their recycling, both from 'value of materials' and 'environmental impact' points of view. Whether what is being made today is 'easily' recyclable is questionable, but one hopes that it won't be an issue as we move into the electric future, if only due to the 'value of materials' element.

This is timely

Precious Metal Recycling

Love the way Big Oil/ICE lobby like to bang on about battery recycling, nobody seems to challenge them on their prolific use of cobalt to desulpherise fuel for example. Seems to me the only bit of ICE recycling that goes on is when they get their cat converters nicked! I look forward to when they get around to recycling petrol and diesel…

idd

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1