Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Quite right, need to look on the GOV.UK.CO.Denmark site 🤣

Under cover of the recent events that have occurred in Eastern Europe, the English have seized control of Denmark, as reparations for the formers conquest by the latter in 1016.

• Funny 1

On 07/05/2022 at 17:11, boxbrownie said:

Gotcha…the rear, rear 😉……on practically every EV there is no room (hatchbacks) for a large charge flap, and never good idea at any time due to issues with slight rear end damage causing massive expensive damage to a charger socket.

Rear side is fine….now then…..which side? 🤣

Yet to see an electric car with such an attractive seat cover.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2022 at 18:35, PenrithBeacon said:

Our house, built in 1911 with gas lighting was converted to EL&P sometime in the 1930s and rewired by me in the mid 70s. It too is going to need a dramatic upgrade when an EV is acquired and it has a detached garage too.

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of doing this?

It probably could do with an upgrade (if not complete rewire) by now even without an EV charging point.

My own house was rewired mid-80's to a higher than required standard and due to be upgraded this year (new DB's, sockets, switches & full inspection).

3 hours ago, SamThomas said:

How longe before dodgy extension lead/adaptors are on the market (if not alreay) ?

These are rapids and there are no adaptors. The closest thing would be the old Tesla Chademo adaptors which cost a few hundred quid.

There are some technical challenges to making a 350kW water cooled extension lead so by definition any one would be dodgy. The charger's safeguards such as insulation & temperature checks should help as would the prohibitive cost of just buying the plugs & cable to even attempt to lash one up.

Edited by 30801

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SamThomas said:

How longe before dodgy extension lead/adaptors are on the market (if not alreay) ?

There are loads* being bought directly from China…..all with the CE mark of course……but as we said when I was working and photographing dodgy vehicle light lenses, electrical components etc the CE mark means “China Export” that’s what the manufacturer in China stated when confronted with the counterfeit goods.

I don’t doubt some of the directly bought leads now are not exactly “up to snuff” shall we say?

*not necessarily the Rapid extensions…..yet!

Edited by boxbrownie

19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

There are loads* being bought directly from China…..all with the CE mark of course……but as we said when I was working and photographing dodgy vehicle light lenses, electrical components etc the CE mark means “China Export” that’s what the manufacturer in China stated when confronted with the counterfeit goods.

I don’t doubt some of the directly bought leads now are not exactly “up to snuff” shall we say?

*not necessarily the Rapid extensions…..yet!

In theory an electrical product like this would be checked for quality by Trading Standard on import.

In practice.... well I'll leave you to decide how well that system works.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

49 minutes ago, admiles said:

In theory an electrical product like this would be checked for quality by Trading Standard on import.

Even if I buy it off Wish?

2 hours ago, admiles said:

I think they wait until there have been some serious incidents regarding the product, then go in mob handed and turn the importers, wholesalers and vendors over and see what else they can pick up in the way of fake trainers, handbags, ciggies, etc as collateral for the court case/inadequate fines.  With luck they'll have a Ch5 deal to get it on the telly too.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, admiles said:

Not back then for sure, they just came out the docks to a warehouse and into motorfactors who some of which though they were selling the genuine article.

On 13/05/2022 at 14:02, 30801 said:

Even if I buy it off Wish?

On 13/05/2022 at 15:22, Hroth said:

I think they wait until there have been some serious incidents regarding the product, then go in mob handed and turn the importers, wholesalers and vendors over and see what else they can pick up in the way of fake trainers, handbags, ciggies, etc as collateral for the court case/inadequate fines.  With luck they'll have a Ch5 deal to get it on the telly too.

On 13/05/2022 at 15:36, boxbrownie said:

Not back then for sure, they just came out the docks to a warehouse and into motorfactors who some of which though they were selling the genuine article.

My comments were referring to commercial imports through sea/air ports. Trading Standards do lots of checks, targeting electrical items, toys etc.  Items arriving via post aren't my area of expertise but I'd imagine they come in unchecked.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, admiles said:

My comments were referring to commercial imports through sea/air ports. Trading Standards do lots of checks, targeting electrical items, toys etc.  Items arriving via post aren't my area of expertise but I'd imagine they come in unchecked.

My post was indeed referring to commercial imports through the docks, we had to visit Tilbury and Lowestoft and I had to photograph the thousands of boxes of counterfeit parts in containers, this was back in the 80’s.

We (my company) had to chase down the parts being distributed via normal motor factors and inform trading standards of the time, only then did they get out of their offices and decide these items might be dangerous! 

Edited by boxbrownie

10 hours ago, SamThomas said:

As someone who does a fair amount of towing I can see it being an issue using a public charging point with a trailer attached.

Best get a Tesla. Some of their locations have the chargers placed side-on. I've never seen any other public charger that wasn't at the end of a single-car bay.

As more types of vehicles are introduced, they will have to start installing charging bays that allow longer vehicles to park up, such as long wheelbase vans, twin cab and other pickup trucks etc.

Whether they’ll accommodate trailers and caravans, etc, we’ll have to wait and see.

There’s already a rapidly growing market for EV vans and it’s a sector that will see explosive growth in the coming years.

27 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Best get a Tesla. Some of their locations have the chargers placed side-on. I've never seen any other public charger that wasn't at the end of a single-car bay.

But that would mean the trailer blocking up another charging bay even if I could manauver a Transit sized vehicle & 18' trailer into a suitable position.

Not too sure if a Tesla is legally able to tow a trailer with a MGW of 2.5T & then carry a payload (in the Tesla) of around .75T

Dread to think what that would do to the range.

12 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

As more types of vehicles are introduced, they will have to start installing charging bays that allow longer vehicles to park up, such as long wheelbase vans, twin cab and other pickup trucks etc.

Whether they’ll accommodate trailers and caravans, etc, we’ll have to wait and see.

There’s already a rapidly growing market for EV vans and it’s a sector that will see explosive growth in the coming years.

EV vans are certainly a growth area, especially with the courier/RM type fleets. Certainly an area where EV's are absolutely ideal.

1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

In Norway.

This might not quite work at Leicester Forest East.

statiile-incarcare-camioane-electrice-005-1024x576.jpg.0c544702da4b97c6adf455146f115df5.jpg

1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

Not too sure if a Tesla is legally able to tow a trailer with a MGW of 2.5T & then carry a payload (in the Tesla) of around .75T

A Rivian will tow just short of 5T (in the US) but you'll need to find a place to charge with the plebs.

23 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

My post was indeed referring to commercial imports through the docks, we had to visit Tilbury and Lowestoft and I had to photograph the thousands of boxes of counterfeit parts in containers, this was back in the 80’s.

We (my company) had to chase down the parts being distributed via normal motor factors and inform trading standards of the time, only then did they get out of their offices and decide these items might be dangerous! 

Things have changed. Trading Standards are quite proactive on doing quayside checks these days and work closely with HMR&C to target likely problem products. That said they can only physically check a small percentage of imported products for fairly obvious reasons. 

As an aside there won't have been a container landed at Lowestoft for many, many years!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, admiles said:

Things have changed. Trading Standards are quite proactive on doing quayside checks these days and work closely with HMR&C to target likely problem products. That said they can only physically check a small percentage of imported products for fairly obvious reasons. 

As an aside there won't have been a container landed at Lowestoft for many, many years!

I should hope they have changed, it was a complete FU back in the 80’s with very few inspections as we found out.