The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

On 25/09/2023 at 20:42, johnofwessex said:

Well my wigfe's Rio CRDI has 149000 miles on the clock with only a replacement radiator and wheel bearing.  I have had a Diesel Carens which I only traded in because of an issue with a sensor in the exhaust system although its still going strong from looking at tax/MoT records and my current 65 plate Ceed petrol estate is fine if not the fastest machine on Gods Earth.

My local Kia dealers who maintain them have been superb

I'm pleased you've had a good experience. The Kia dealers locally have lied through their teeth and gone out of their way to be unhelpful.  Which just goes to prove how your dealer treats you can make a huge difference to your perception of a brand. That's said the Kias/Hyundais I've had knowledge of were just awfully unreliable.

On 29/09/2023 at 08:10, black and decker boy said:

So another chapter of my EV journey comes to an end due to insolvency of my employer. My Tesla M3P is off lease and awaiting collection.

in 4 months, I’ve done 6500 miles at a running cost of 6p/mile. Efficiency is 3.1miles per KWH 

since fitted, our home solar has provided around 20% of my weekly charging 

I’ve not queued or struggled for charging points though as the car was capable of 300miles on a full charge with my driving style so charging away from home is much reduced compared to the Merc EQB.

Hope you can (or have) slip seamlessly into a new job! 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, admiles said:

Which just goes to prove how your dealer treats you can make a huge difference to your perception of a brand.

The VW dealers in Newbury and Basingstoke were very good at spoiling what should have been nice experience. I did not even look at VW EVs when the Ioniq lease was up.

11 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

The VW dealers in Newbury and Basingstoke were very good at spoiling what should have been nice experience. I did not even look at VW EVs when the Ioniq lease was up.

Add the one in Swindon to your list.

5 hours ago, admiles said:

I'm pleased you've had a good experience. The Kia dealers locally have lied through their teeth and gone out of their way to be unhelpful.  Which just goes to prove how your dealer treats you can make a huge difference to your perception of a brand. That's said the Kias/Hyundais I've had knowledge of were just awfully unreliable.

Chalkes of Mere (UK) are my local Kia pusher and I cannot praise them highly enough

9 hours ago, admiles said:

Hope you can (or have) slip seamlessly into a new job! 

Thank you. Yes, 5 weeks unemployed and  thankfully agreed a new position on Friday. They’ve ordered me a Tesla today - small companies are very agile at decision making it seems. Delivery could be next week. Taking after Mr Ford, my choices were black, black or a long wait. I opted for black!!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Charging investment continues:

The largest InstaVolt charging hub in Cornwall is now live, with 12 chargers at Bodmin Retail Park on the Launceston Road, just off the A30! 

The site will provide a major boost to EV drivers in the South West and those travelling into Devon and Cornwall during the summer months. The opening follows the launch of our 8 charger hub at Gissons Hotel, just outside of Exeter.

With a McDonalds on-site and only 2 minutes from Bodmin town centre, our 12 charger hub is the perfect spot to recharge! 

12 Chargers
  Up to 160kW
  Improved Accessibility
  On-site amenities

taken from LinkedIn 

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A curious EV incident....

"Kidnapped by runaway electric car"

Back in 2004 this happened to a Renault on the French Autoroute. I think, if I remember correctly, the police cleared a ringway and let him go round and round on his own until it ran out of fuel.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna6184673

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Indeed, not an ev issue, but a drive-by-wire issue...

I once had a throttle stick wide open.

But since it was on a Mini 850 it wasn't exactly a calamity.

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Throw your ev away then...............................................

Toyota CEO: "Our Ammonia Engine Is The End Of EV's" - YouTube

Oooh that’s going to create quite a stink….🤧

idd

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Throw your ev away then...............................................

Toyota CEO: "Our Ammonia Engine Is The End Of EV's" - YouTube

Will they catch another financial cold, with their new Ammonia engine ?

Geddit ?

Hat, coat.......... whoooosh.....

• Funny 1

Resisting the temptation so as not to encourage you! 😀

But honestly it’s bad enough saying to people you may have 20 minutes or so to wait on this super rapid charger. Can you imagine the outcry when you explain you’ve got to put on a hazmat suit to fuel your car with ammonia?

idd

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

I can only imagine the Social Media Vloggers and certain newspaper journalists have been having wet dreams thinking up headlines in case the Luton Airport car park fire involved any EVs.

Hasn't it been reported that it was a diesel propelled car ! that the fire started in and destroyed other cars in its wake. 

Edited by johnd

Current reporting, elsewhere on the forum (Level Crossings thread I think!), is that it was a diesel hybrid, the talk is that diesel fuel would not have caused the conflagration that was seen. 

But until there's something official announced who knows...

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

Current reporting, elsewhere on the forum (Level Crossings thread I think!), is that it was a diesel hybrid, the talk is that diesel fuel would not have caused the conflagration that was seen. 

But until there's something official announced who knows...

Whatever type of vehicle it would probably need an electrical defect if it was "switched off".

Diesel sprayed (effectively vaporised) onto hot surfaces such as the exhaust manifold will combust spontaneously so the engine normally needs to be running for that to happen (and need a continued supply of fuel to keep burning). The online photos appear to show the vehicle burning at the front end, whereas fuel tanks tend to be centre mounted, towards the rear axle. 

Petrol fires need petrol vapour and a spark to get going. Those who maintained their own cars in the 50s. 60s and 70s will know that petrol fumes weren't uncommon under the bonnet but that didn't mean that they always caught fire. Modern petrol cars have  fuel injection systems so the HP and/or LP pump needs to be running to provide a continued supply of fuel.

Whatever type of car, once the fire gets going there is usually sufficient highly combustible material in the vehicle to cause a complete burn out.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Whatever type of vehicle it would probably need an electrical defect if it was "switched off"....

The photo of the vehicle shows it in the middle of the roadway, between the rows of parked cars.

Reports say the car caught fire as it was moving and the driver stopped and quickly got out of the vehicle.

Cars are packed in tightly in that car park, like in many others.

It would only need an adjacent car to catch fire and the chain reaction would progress quickly, with fuel tanks exploding, as it was widely reported they did.

It's hard to tell with the smoke in the photo released, but the tail lights of the suspect vehicle, a Range Rover Evoque, look like it's possibly a mk1 Evoque, in which case there was no hybrid version of that model sold.

The totally new, 2nd generation (deliveries from 2019 onwards) comes with mild-hybrid Diesel engine options.

The only plug-in hybrid offered, is petrol powered, not diesel.

It looks like a private registration plate, so no clue as to the year of first registration.

No doubt we'll learn the truth in the fullness of time.

There are a couple of YouTube channels that are dedicated to spewing out anti-EV propaganda.

One Australian and the other from the UK.

The smarmy, sneering, arrogance of the presenters is sickly.

You might be lead to believe, from the amount of content these channels put out, they might be "sponsored" in some way.

Over this incident, their tone is that the press reports and fire brigade statements are covering up and lying !

A government cover up !

The worst type of conspiracy theory hysteria, which is typical of the mis-information, FUD and pure lies these people usually broadcast.

• Round of applause 2