The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spurious emails

PenrithBeacon

This afternoon I received an email from an Australian source which claimed to have intercepted a virus intended for me. The email had an attachment. I deleted the email without opening the attachment and I  think if anybody receives such emails then it would be best if you do the same. 

All the best

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I think the technique is called phishing, i.e. hoping you will take the bait. My email provider has an option within junk specifically for phishing items, and thanks me each time for adding to it. Bitcoin payments have been much in evidence recently, with me merely needing to click here to have a 5-figure sum transferred to me. Yeah, right. 

Don't forget to forward any dodgy e-mails to report@phishing.gov.uk where they actually do something about them. Once you've done that, delete them!

John

• Agree 3

If you use Paypal, watch out for a very authentic looking one saying that your account has been temporarily blocked following suspicious activity on a card linked to it ........... don't click on the link, because it will ask you to authenticate by divulging details of a card.

It does look very plausible.