Hornby A4 - Golden Plover.

atom3624

Received a very nice condition - initial impressions - R2340 60031 Golden Plover this week.

Intention is to rename / renumber Union of South Africa / 60009 using a Fox's 'kit'.

I've even carefully scraped off the front side of smokebox old-style High Voltage warnings, and replaced them where typically located on Union.

Newer style yellow, white with black lettering warnings are on her now.

I stated overall condition seemed good ... but looks can be deceiving!

Once lifted out of it's box, I noticed the 'oiler' had dropped from the running plate - easily replaced - and all is good.

I removed the speedo, then the body ... or tried to.

After bogie removal, the retaining bolt for the body was VERY tight, but could be removed without issue, I thought, and off came the body.

Trying to figure out how much lead foil to cut out I looked back at the chassis to see how it correlates to the body and was trying to find the hole for the retaining bolt - then realised that half had snapped off - still stuck to the body!

Mazak rot?  I've not had that on an A4 before but never know.

I've Loctite 454 - 'very strong stick anything to anything adhesive' so thought I'd try it out - glued together without issue - amazing - definitely recommend that glue.

Crew are placed into the cab, oiler replaced, front of chassis glued on, drainpipes glued in ... all's coming along.

Just need to order the correct Union of South Africa kit from Fox's and get her renumbered ... all's going pretty well so far.

Anyone else had Mazak problems with a new-style Super Detail A4?

Al.

• RMweb Gold

No Mazak problem with my version of R2340 though it does have the old style pickups that rely on one pick up making positive contact with the raised post on the chassis. This arrangement has proven unreliable and I've fitted the later wired pick ups. Not sure R2340 has the correct tender for 60009 as preserved - doesnt it come with the streamlined version whereas 60009 has a 1928 version (ex W1 and A1 I believe). 

Exactly as I thought.

I'm often lifting out for show / use, then returning to storage, for another Era / 'location' so I'm not a fan of the 4-pin affairs.

I suppose I could consider a 2-pin - don't run DCC.

I was wondering why the bolt was SO tight - I thought I was going to shear the mount / break the plastic threaded sleeve ...

Only logical conclusion could be that either the previous owner had had the body off, then nipped up sharpish, and way too hard, or it was alright once, but had swollen.

Thing is, it looks fine, just sheared either side of the mount bolt hole.  I'll see.

Tender - right about the W1 bit. I've read that as well.

I've seen photos with a corridor tender - what 'ilk' - water arm cutaway or streamlined I'll check further.  All seems pretty close.

I've removed the High Voltage warning from the smokebox side, green paint, and have replaced all with white, yellow with black writing warnings as is current.

I've ordered Fox's nameplates and should be here within 7-10 days - typical delay, perhaps for next weekend - Bank Holiday if I'm lucky.

Need to carefully remove the '31' on each side - '09' on their way.

By chance, I have a spare grey wheeled chassis, so can transfer if the disaster happens.

Al.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Tender - right about the W1 bit. I've read that as well.

I've seen photos with a corridor tender - what 'ilk' - water arm cutaway or streamlined I'll check further.  All seems pretty close.

Unfortunately, R2340 has the wrong tender for 60009 in any condition. 60009 has a non-streamlined corridor (flat back and beading) whereas R2340 has the streamlined version (curved back to match the streamliner stock and no beading). 60009 has never carried one of the tender cut back for the SR's water cranes but as its current tender is ex-W1 I think it still has the holes in the rear bufferbeam for cables to be run between the cab and dynamometer car.

Edited by JamieR4489
correction

I do see what you mean.

Correct tender style would be that used for Mallard in R3737.

To anyone not 'seriously in the know' you wouldn't know the difference.

Should I come across a more correct tender I'll snap it up, but until then I'm happy enough.

I see my R3737 tender is identical, just that Hornby have added 'the beading' - might be something, but not in a mad rush.

I've just added a good sheen to the finish - 4 quick passes - using this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383672856495?var=652075410491

Photos attached.  Yes, I've straightened the high voltage decal / transfer without problem as well!

Now to rename her - Fox plates should arrive in the next few days, and numbers from Railtec also ordered.

Al.

R2340 - 60031 Golden Plover 20210821-1 small.jpg

R2340 - 60031 Golden Plover 20210821-3 small.jpg

Edited by atom3624

Tender difference isn't just the beading, 60031 has a 'bow ended' tender, where the rear ends bow outwards, akin to Gresley coach ends. All the 'Streamlined' tenders featured this (along with no beading). Quite why a streamlined tender would actually have a larger gap between the tender sides and the coach sides I don't know. I would have thought the 1928 straight end, or even extended side sheets as per the LMS Corronations would have made more sense aerodynamically, and even the 'streamlined non-corridor tenders (fitted to Mallard and Eisenhower today) has a straight back end. For whatever reason, a bowed end is what was decided upon by Doncaster in 1935

This is incorrect for 60009 as she is today (although from what BRDatabase records, she has a Streamlined Corridor tender from originally fitted to 2511fitted from 1948 to 1963)

Well 60031 Golden Plover has gone, replaced by 60009 Union of South Africa.

The close up angled shots aren't the most 'flattering' I must admit, but from a more-normal distance, she looks just fine.

Those cabside crests supplied with the Fox's nameplates kept folding and folding, so ... it was a noble attempt I reckon.

Al.

R2340 - 60009 UoSA 20210824-1.jpg

R2340 - 60009 UoSA 20210824-2 Small.jpg

• Like 4