DURM Group

nebnoswal

G'day All, general call out to all those railway modellers residing Downunder, this is the place to be. Even our friends from the Long White Cloud are invited too. Gather here and pass on your news on upcoming shows and exhibitions, hint and tips and any recommendations for shops and retailers here in the land of Oz.

Well, for the first news

The BRMA (British Railway Modellers of Australia) are holding their annual convention this weekend in Brisbane. It commence this Friday with some clinics followed by a get together that evening. On Sat there are several presentations for both local and overseas modellers, a buy and sell, trade stands, the AGM, modelling competition and that evening is the convention dinner. On Sunday will be a comprehensive a layout tour cover 14 different layouts, covering from 009 to O gauge. The afternoon involves a traditional Aussie BBQ and Live steam Train rides. Monday, for those staying the extra day involves several more layouts to visit.

I??™m going, flying up tomorrow, so I??™ll post a review and some photos upon my return. See you there, if you are going.

The benefits of the new RM Web - a little bit of Down Under. My first post here too.

I too will be going to the BRMA convention over the weekend. Flying down on Friday. My layout is one of the 14 mentioned - not Swallow Street (didn't quite get it finished for this weekend in the end unsure.gif ) but St Alban's Priory. Should also be the Great Garrett Gathering - at least 4 should be in the photo opportunity if you are going.

• RMweb Premium

Just recording my presence here. The layout thread remains in the older RMweb and will not be transitioned to a blog. There are a couple of recent posts there.

I am not able to get to the BRMA event and for those reading who may not already be aware I may also be unable to participate actively in anything much for a while due to a significant health issue.

Unfortunately I can't make it to the Brisbane Convention, although i know a good many of the BRMA members up there (I lived there for 15 years!). To those who are going, enjoy it and pass on my regards to all there.

Now, I still have to add my avatar back in to my profile and now the DURM logo as well. ? :)

EDIT: Well, that seems to have worked! ? :D

• RMweb Premium

Further to my post above and the events listed on the old site I am now unable to be able to attend the "home" event in Frankston. One or two of us will be aware that I have a potentially serious health concern; I have had to cancel visits and trips on too many recent occasions and usually at short notice. I shall be admitted to hospital on Monday and do not expect to be fit for anything much for some time. You can probably expect the occasional post from me at times but not a lot of action on the modelling front for a while.

Work on my own layout will carry on as and when I can manage it and new pictures will be posted on the old site layout thread until that is no longer possible. I do not propose to transition that to the blog format. Please keep your fingers crossed for me as the initial diagnosis suggests the treatment may be long and uncomfortable.

HI

Well I'm here, in sprit but not body. Nov 9th I'm of to hosptial for I hope the last set of tests.

I have not worked on the layout as I have been told to rest my poor old heart untill he test are done. I will try and pop in if I can.. Heaps of paper to work make sure my affairs are in order. before the 9th

Later

Stuart in OZ

• RMweb Premium

Hello Rick & Stuart

Sorry to hear about the health problems lads, my best wishes and hopefully everything will turn out OK.

And what's Sithlord saying about the BRMA modelling competition? Details man, details!

Regards

Michael

Well I??™ve returned from Brisvegas and the convention, and it is well worthwhile. Friday opened with some great presentations from Gordon Gravett. Saturday opened with registration and members entering their models in modelling competition. We then had further presentations from both Maggie and Gordon Gravett on creating atmosphere and scribing modelling clay plus some informative presentations from local modellers on the 1960??™s and layout planning. An enjoyable dinner was held that evening. I didn??™t get to see the entire layout tour as I was manning the layouts at N gauge central. I??™ve posted some photos of the models and layouts in the gallery below.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=6928&do=view_album&album=316

Thanks for posting Ben, excellent photographs. I believe the fish vans should now be trundling around Sturminster Newton?

Michael

Unfortunately no! I??™m quite happy with them, there was no way I could of achieved what Graeme has done, but he was not happy with the LMS and FISH transfers, with the carrier film standing out too much. He is going to work on them and try and reduce their presence. I was quite surprise too when they didn??™t win the model making comp. Did you get the details of Kevin?

• RMweb Premium

Did you get the details of Kevin?

No, I was aware some time ago that Graeme was building them for you, and have read of his recent quest for LMS period transfers. Then Kevin mentioned in a post that he had a source and shortly after that I spoke to Phil Badger. How long since you first purchased them?

I've had the pleasure seeing Graeme's work when he was still living in Newcastle - exquisite: unfortunately I've not seen Thornbury in it's completed form. To me it's a strong argument for building one's own track.

Incidentally I note some gallery posts by jimmynswgr - hello James!

Michael

Well I am sticking my head above the parapet to say that I am here. Also back in Australia. The convention always happens around my wedding anversary and the convention was off the holiday destinations!.

So has anyone heard of the location for next years convention???? I have a idea but have not heard formally.

Gwiner and Stuart. I hope you are both in fighting fit form in not too long.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Doug

I'm still very sore, drugged to the hilt and not doing much more than hopping out of bed to make tea. But hopefully on the road to a full recovery. Just waiting on the test results with everything very firmly crossed that they are all clear and that I don't need the next stages of treatment.

So has anyone heard of the location for next years convention???? I have a idea but have not heard formally.

BRMA convention for 2010 is being held in Melbourne, 16-17 Oct. More details will probably come out in the TCH next year

Well nebnoswal... That is confirmed I think I can now say that some one who will remain nameless wants me to be involved with organising it (again!) how ever with 2kids and a demanding job....let alone the other 2 things I volunter for I think I may just go along as a deligate! (then again some one might volunter my layout for the tour!) which means I better get on with it now :blink: to have any chance of being presentable next year. (thankfully next year it is not on my wedding annaversary!)

They are always enjoyable and the speakers are always knowledgeable. SO a lot of people will already be saving to come next year!.

Unfortunately no! I??™m quite happy with them, there was no way I could of achieved what Graeme has done, but he was not happy with the LMS and FISH transfers, with the carrier film standing out too much. He is going to work on them and try and reduce their presence. I was quite surprise too when they didn??™t win the model making comp. Did you get the details of Kevin?

No - didn't get the details as to what the judges thought. To be honest, I don't know that they were that useful as judges. Considering my Aero Wagons (84 parts per kit - do three cause they are wagons) were judged as being the same difficulty as detailing two Dapol Auto Coaches (roof vents, some paint, couplings and some pipes as well as being peopled) and you can see my point!!! Add to that the comment that the finish on the Auto Coaches was excellent (well points to Dapol for that - not me!) and the painted weathered timber of the propeller crates wasn't too good (done by a modeller rather than a machine...) and that sums it all up.

Just got back from the Wagga Wagga exhibition. A good showing of British N with myself and Trevor (sr21c1) running modern on T-TRAK, Michael (2mm Dabbler) assembling rollingstock, British steam running on the CMNSG AusTrak layout and two Thomas layouts.

Here's Trevor's TMD module (with one of the Thomas layouts in the background).

Cheers

David

post-6959-12576814273428_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

. ? Friday opened with some great presentations from Gordon Gravett. ? Saturday opened with registration and members entering their models in modelling competition. ? We then had further presentations from both Maggie and Gordon Gravett on creating atmosphere and scribing modelling clay plus some informative presentations from local modellers on the 1960??™s and layout planning.? 

:icon_frustrated: :icon_frustrated: :icon_frustrated:

Damn blast and b*gger. If I had known he would be attending I would have joined the BRMA just to go and see/hear him, and taken some time off work ? ! I only live an hour down the road !

:icon_cry: :icon_grumpy: :icon_mad: :icon_mutter:

now that DURM is alive again time to update the sig .

Kim

Tweed Heads? 

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow members

In the last RMweb I started a discussion regarding particular Australian suppliers of things.

Did people find this of use? (PM me please)

As I have a New web site for modelling tools of www.hobbytools.com.au It is located here in Melbourne. Prices seem reasonable but I have not ordered from them I have just had the pointer.

Thanks Kris,

It is good to know that they behave as they should. Personally I need some gear for my Compressor. Then I can give my air brush a run :rolleyes: .. it has only been about 4 years since I purchased the pair!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest/recommend a supplier of Das modelling clay for here in Oz? Has anyone used it before and did they have any problems with the air drying and our hot summers. My reason for asking as it seems to be the best option available for me to fill in the asphalt surfaces between tracks in the goods yard of my Sturminster layout.

To all DURM members, I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year. Hopefully you will have a well wrapped Christmas parcel under tree from the like of Bachman/Dapol/Hornby etc.

Archived