DURM Group

nebnoswal

Hi Ben. I have used DAS before, both in Melbourne and in Brisbane. Climate doesn't seem to be a problem, nor storage as long as you seal the pack carefully.

As for sources; I haven't seen it for quite a while now. The last lot I bought came from an arts and crafts shop - not really sure but I *think* it was in Camberwell, Melbourne.

SRman try the local Toyworld in Foresthill Chase... the "pink" section on the right hand side as you walk down the isle! (knew there was a reason to have a daughter who likes drawing)

OR if others aren't in Blackburn Melbourne "Riot Art" stores usually stock it, or in fact most art stores but you may have to ask for it as they do tend to hide things and only have 1 pack until it sells!

Merry Christmas to all and to all a new loco!

Hi all,

When I was looking for Das I went to spotlight,

Not sure if they are national.

Gary

Damm, I was only at Spotlight on Monday getting my wife a Christmas present. The look I got from the young girl on the checkout was priceless when I present my wife's discount cards, which I had conveniently borrowed from her purse the night before. Will have to check it out in the new year. Thanks to everyone who responded.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I thought I would pop in to say hello. I recently came into possession of my father's n gauge collection from the early to mid 70s, including a Graham Farrish Pannier tank, based on number 9400, and apparently custom painted in BR black livery. It has been in storage for more than 30 years so I will need to see what condition it is in. There are also quite a few wagons and carriages plus a number of Pola building kits still boxed.

I hope to use this as the basis of a layout of my own when I have some more spare time around Easter.

In the meantime I will try to find time to browse the forum now and then.

Regards,

gtc.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to remind all that the BRMA convention this year in October. An interesting thing to point out to all is that the convention is open to all not just BRMA members. This includes the Layout visits.

If you would PM me I will put your names down with the disorganisers! It also helps them with numbers.

If I can swing it with them we may be able to get a RMwebers corner... well that way we all know what each other looks like!

Happy Easter to all.... and before anyone says anything the Easter eggs have been in the shops for almost a month!

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

With regards to the March exhibition its actually at Sandown racecourse which is about 30-40mins further out from Melbourne. I have decided I will probably stay home his year after reading the layout list in the latest ModelRailways in Australia magazine. Looks the same as last year & Caufield.

Plus I will put my name down for the BRMA convention in October, thanks Doug. Do we know who the guest speaker is yet?

The Bendigo Model Railway Exhibition is on at Easter, we have 2 British layouts, a Japanese N gauge and I think the rest are Australian, plus 5 trade stands. Sat,Sun & Mon.

regards

Mark

Bendigo

Hey Mark.

We'll look forward to seeing you again. I didn't realise you had left from the previous BRMA meeting on the Australia day weekend - was going to chat some more.

I would like to visit the Sandown exhibition but unfortunately Brian (our Victorian Area Rep) announced that BRMA won't have a display this year. Maybe I'll bump into a few RMwebbers and/or BRMA members on whichever day I choose to go.

Well it seems we could organise a time on one of the days to all get together if we all wear a name tag. It would be good to catch up again with every one.

The convention :- Brian is still keeping us all in the dark as to who the speakers will be this year or what is on the list. I do know a few of the layouts on the layout tour but as usual if I told you I would have to kill you.... :D

AS per the last time if you are interested to go give me a PM and I will pass onto Brian for numbers.

Well it seems we could organise a time on one of the days to all get together if we all wear a name tag. It would be good to catch up again with every one.

The convention :- Brian is still keeping us all in the dark as to who the speakers will be this year or what is on the list. I do know a few of the layouts on the layout tour but as usual if I told you I would have to kill you.... :D

AS per the last time if you are interested to go give me a PM and I will pass onto Brian for numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to Sandown today; it was such a lovely day when I left. I dropped Mrs Noswal and Master D off at the babyshow in the city and made the 20min drive out to the racecourse. This first thing to surprise me was the number of cars in the car park; it wasn't full, but certainly alot more than last year. The queue to get in was not long, but once inside, the queue for the kids to ride on Thomas was huge. Movement inside was bumper to bumper, or should I say stroller to stroller. It was a tight fit, with most layouts 2 people deep. I don't know if trains are making resurgence or it was just a good day for the family over the long week-end. I spoke to a couple of traders and retailers and they were of the opinion that number were way-up on last year. One even said they had sold more railway stock from their shop in January of this year than they in the first six months of 2009! Maybe the GFC is over.

Layouts: I can't review all of them; here are the ones that caught my eye.

Woodville – bought me straight back to my childhood. Full of red rattlers and blue electrics. As the guide suggested, the main street scene reminded me of Clarendon St in South Melb back in the 70's, even with W class trams. A lot of effort has gone into it, and its progressing. I could have spent hours watching it.

Murranbilla – still gets my attention, even though I've seen it a few times. It has something that Broadford doesn't, character. Broadford to me appears dull, where as Murranbilla leaps out at me.

Midsomer Norton – the sole British inspired layout, and S+DJR to boot. They must be running out of places to have the murder scene, as I've seen it before with the headless corpse behind the pub.

Florey Springs – is new to me. It really captures the Australian landscape really well. The detail in the buildings and structures was excellent. I especially like the farm/homestead with shearing shed. Some quality work on this one.

Getting home was a tad longer, the storm hit and it took me 2 hrs to get from Sandown to the Exhibition buildings and then another 1 ½ hours to home, a long day. No modelling tonite and sleeping-in tomorrow.

Some photos in the gallery below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=6928&do=view_album&album=795

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David

It's always sad to hear of such events as - even if rolling stock and scenics can be replaced (which isn't always possible) - the time and effort expended is a total loss in such situations. I am still waiting to hear from friends back in the UK after Hayle MRC suffered a second fire affecting their clubrooms. The first was back in 1984 but it seems lightning can strike twice.

I myself have just returned from a long weekend camping. Luckily the worst of the weather missed us and we only (only!) copped 55mm of rain over one night and steady drizzle for much of the rest of the time. Having heard of the severe damage sustained across Melbourne (including to full size railways and Southern Cross station) I was extremely worried. My own layout is under Laserlite and a heavy hailstorm has always been my worst nightmare.

It seems that it missed this area. 46mm of rain was recorded in the backyard gauge but neighbours say no hail fell and I can report that the railway is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

The Bendigo Model Railway exhibition is on this Easter weekend. Sat 10-5, Sun 12-5 and Mon 10-4.

I will be on the club layout "Oakham" Make a trip up from Melbourne which is only 2 hrs drive or by Train.

Mark

Hi Mark. Once, many years ago, I was part of a small party that took part in the Easter parade at Bendigo. We travelled up in a Melbourne Tramways AEC Regal III bus, leaving Blackburn at a little after 5:00 am. It was cold for all of us except the driver - he was right beside the nice warm engine - and we had a top speed of 68 KPH, which we weren't allowed to exceed even downhill as it would overrev the engine. We got to Bendigo a little before 9:30. It was a slow trip ... and it took as another 4 hours to get home again! We did enjoy the parade and I had the extra benefit of being able to spend an hour at the model railway exhibition at the time.

It was a very long day but was it worth it? You bet it was!   :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all those who went to the Hobsons Bay Exhibition.

This is what you missed by not coming to Bendigo for our Exhibition over easter.

This was its first outing.

This is Fogarty's Gap. A private layout with weathered stock and excellent detail.

It will eventually be published in the AMRA magazine.

regards

Mark

post-4104-127097081305_thumb.jpg

post-4104-127097086741_thumb.jpg

post-4104-127097100614_thumb.jpg

The convention :- Brian is still keeping us all in the dark as to who the speakers will be this year or what is on the list. I do know a few of the layouts on the layout tour but as usual if I told you I would have to kill you.... biggrin.gif

The only other person on the layout tour I'm aware of was you. The letter Stewart sent me with the itenary only allowed short time periods to go between the layouts, the maximum was 25 minutes, so they must all be based in the eastern suburbs. I figured the five minute time must be to go between your and my layouts as we're probably closest.

Now I've revealed that I guess you'll have to kill me.

cheers

Neil

No Neil, let me explain that there is actually a number of tours so people can see 3 to 4 layouts all in one go. There fore there will be about 16 layouts to see but you can't get around them all! That way you don't end up with 30 people at your place trying to fit in. The groups should amount to no more than 10-12 at a time. Madness in the method!

See you saturday!

No Neil, let me explain that there is actually a number of tours so people can see 3 to 4 layouts all in one go. There fore there will be about 16 layouts to see but you can't get around them all! That way you don't end up with 30 people at your place trying to fit in. The groups should amount to no more than 10-12 at a time. Madness in the method!

See you saturday!

Ah that makes more sense. Now you mention it I do seem to remember something like this from the Adelaide conference. So we are part of an Eastern suburbs group.

See you Saturday.

cheers

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Well gentlemen, does every one have trouble with O/S subscriptions. I seem to be still having trouble getting my BRM which should have left the UK well before the minor dust storm... I don't know what all the trouble is? (and I think I can say that after living in Rabaul in 1998 when (and it still is) erupting. the planes still flew in and out of Tokwa airport)

Well gentlemen, does every one have trouble with O/S subscriptions. I seem to be still having trouble getting my BRM which should have left the UK well before the minor dust storm... I don't know what all the trouble is? (and I think I can say that after living in Rabaul in 1998 when (and it still is) erupting. the planes still flew in and out of Tokwa airport)

Different type of ash Doug.wink.gif Our European volcanic ash is finer.

I have a few parcels that have been delayed so I'm not happy either. Can't argue with a volcano though.unsure.gif

cheers

Neil

Archived