Gopher

55 minutes ago, Gopher said:

😄I fear too late for that, a lost cause.  

Maybe not, that could be the Little Muddle crate, having taken from 1938 to 1958 to get from the creamery, arrive at Dewchurch and be offloaded onto a BRS lorry ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

When I was a kid I couldn't stand DMUs, so dull and boring, but compared to modern offerings, they've now got a wonderfully austere, rattly Eastern Bloc quality to them.

Don't tell anyone, but I still have one of those old motorised Airfix kit railcars, it's smashed to bits, but unlike a lot of its superior modern brethren, (One of which I very nearly bought!) it still actually works.

I might just have to source another body kit and revive it, just because.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

When I was a kid I couldn't stand DMUs, so dull and boring, but compared to modern offerings, they've now got a wonderfully austere, rattly Eastern Bloc quality to them.

Don't tell anyone, but I still have one of those old motorised Airfix kit railcars, it's smashed to bits, but unlike a lot of its superior modern brethren, (One of which I very nearly bought!) it still actually works.

I might just have to source another body kit and revive it, just because.

My earliest memories of train travel were on green DMUs with speed whiskers. Class 116  I think on South Wales Valley lines, so have a soft spot for them.  I will not say a word about your Airfix kit, secret is safe with me. 😉 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Gopher said:

Heading in the other direction is Hinton Manor, running tender first with a train of empty livestock wagons 

20240218_153245.jpg.1d3c3b0970af71a4bbd8c756a57bdb19.jpg

I’m surprised they’re running tender first since Dewchurch has a turntable.

Probably because they’re not going very far (doesn’t seem to be a lot of coal in the tender), and they’ll be returning shortly pointing the right way with no means of turning at wherever it is they’re headed?

🙂😜

Only teasing - I really like the detail in your layout.

Edited by GWR57xx
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

I’m surprised they’re running tender first since Dewchurch has a turntable.

Probably because they’re not going very far (doesn’t seem to be a lot of coal in the tender), and they’ll be returning shortly pointing the right way with no means of turning at wherever it is they’re headed?

🙂😜

Only teasing - I really like the detail in your layout.

Yes good points,  I'll have to ask the driver what happened.  He is a bit awkward, so no doubt none of this will be his fault.  It is strange because the crew hate running tender first even in the summer with little coal on board.  I bet he spent too long in the loco crew mess and ran out of time to prep and turn the loco. 

Joking aside - thanks for the comments and for reading my thread 😀  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

WD 2-8-0- heads tender first through Harewood Halt with a coal train for the local power station (which exists in my imagination a few miles down one of the branches off the Dewchurch main line). I do like the basic brutish look of these locos. It is the re-issued Bachmann model with their sound project installed (which is very good).  The loco had some factory weathering which I have added to, plus coal crew lamps etc  Looking at photos of these locos in the 1950s/60s I could go much heavier on the weathering.  I doubt they ever got cleaned in their whole working lives apart from major over hauls.

20240102_161345.jpg.c6a597f2be58e0a3c574b1f3e2d83709.jpg

20240102_161407.jpg.52729036b6c422766bb0a5ebf636b6fa.jpg

• Like 15

Just now, MrWolf said:

That's a great mix of vehicles, goes well with the mixed buildings of the farm. A lot of interesting things to see in this picture.

Thanks Rob.  The Hawksworth brake coach is my latest addition and weathering project.   The Siphons are Accurascale.  I like the mix of rolling stock you often see in parcels trains

• Like 3