Gopher

22 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Been a while since the Curran's siding was used

The infernal combustion engine and associated economics starting to mark a change in approach to transportation of goods and people by rail that will soon see the demise of so many similar facilities.

But I'm telling you the plot. . . . .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

The infernal combustion engine and associated economics starting to mark a change in approach to transportation of goods and people by rail that will soon see the demise of so many similar facilities.

But I'm telling you the plot. . . . .

You are spot on John.  I'm always amazed at how many private owner sidings there were on our railways back in the day.     

• Like 2

A bit of a battle going on at the moment (all in my head).  I model BR Western region late 1950s/60s.  I am not adverse to using Rule 1 (within reason).  So I run  trains from other regions on my layout.  The consistent theme being they are all pretty much of the same era, and possibly might have visited the Welsh Marches.   

So why am I consistently drooling over the Kernow Steam Rail Motor ?  I never thought I'd see a ready to run model of this loco, and it looks wonderful apart from the oversized lamps.  I could just about justify running the preserved version number 93.   Or even argue under rule 1 that another version was preserved    (I quite like the GWR lined crimson lake livery - number 85).

Get thee behind me Satan (and keep pushing).  I also normally pay for new locos by selling other locos/rolling stock.  Can't see me doing that this time, so may have to sell my body 😄.  (which is very unlikely to raise anywhere near the required funds).   I have not mentioned any of this to my wife - so please keep it between us.        

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Get thee behind me Satan (and keep pushing). 

Either its a Railtour. Or. Perhaps...... Dewchurch has become a 1980's preservation line . . . 😇

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Either its a Railtour. Or. Perhaps...... Dewchurch has become a 1980's preservation line . . . 😇

I don't think that you're helping 😁

It's a very nice model though, isn't it? I also can't think of why I would want one on an 1930's SDJR railway, but…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobAllen said:

Just offering options. . . . .😇

(One of which can be 'do nothing')

It's a very nice model though, isn't it? I also can't think of why I would want one on an 1930's SDJR railway, but…

Now who's not helping ??? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Yes that would work John .  Other alternatives - do nothing (as you say), build a 1920s/30s GWR layout (no room).  Stretching Rule 1 to the limit - there is of course the very well known GWR museum in Worcester, where they have a number of preserved and still working locos  - including the rail motor  

I think you should go for it Rob.  Then I can use the time honoured excuse "Well Rob bought one"

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

Hi,

When I decided to build St Mungo's it was to be purely a Caledonian Railway small terminus in Glasgow set between 1918-1920.  That soon changed, due to my interests, so I'm currently building stock for LNER c1936, BR c.1957, BR 1962-68, Tyneside electrics and, rather an odd one, a fictitous terminus for the Spurn Head Railway!  Fortunately, all that will need changing are to accommodate all these are a couple of buildings, road vehicles, people and signals! A third rail for the tyneside electrics will be easy to add/remove, which means that I could even buy/build some SR stock, both prewar and and  BR periods!  If I was ever tempted to join the dark side I think it could even become a GWR terminus!  

I think I need help!😂

Roja

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

When I decided to build St Mungo's it was to be purely a Caledonian Railway small terminus in Glasgow set between 1918-1920.  That soon changed, due to my interests, so I'm currently building stock for LNER c1936, BR c.1957, BR 1962-68, Tyneside electrics and, rather an odd one, a fictitous terminus for the Spurn Head Railway!  Fortunately, all that will need changing are to accommodate all these are a couple of buildings, road vehicles, people and signals! A third rail for the tyneside electrics will be easy to add/remove, which means that I could even buy/build some SR stock, both prewar and and  BR periods!  If I was ever tempted to join the dark side I think it could even become a GWR terminus!  

I think I need help!😂

Roja

That is a good plan Roja.  I think you should embrace the dark side and factor in a GWR terminus.  You know it makes sense, so resistance is futile 😄    

Clive

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2