Gopher

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

What used to be a job for life isn't good for 5 years now. I grew up in Bletchley and the biggest employer near us was Wolverton works, lads I was at school with went there thinking and being told that they were set for life but it's all gone now.

Regards Lez. 

Same for my generation, around Loughborough it was Brush engineering,  Rolls Royce or Goodwin Barsby.

Those of us deemed to be destined for university were given zero careers advice and were told that the uni would provide. Of course the uni didn't, assuming that as we had made it this far, we must have come from a family of career people and already have the right connections.

Try explaining to most people born post 1990 that joining the right bit of the military is better than a degree in many cases and opens a lot more doors. Plus it's a good option for anyone who doesn't want a huge debt and doesn't have a rich family.

They generally parrot out some pacifist mantra.

Not a lot of use when someone comes at you with an AK on his back and waving a panga. 😉 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Lets call it £17/10s/6d shall we and ten days holiday a year the wife likes to spend some time by the sea and a visit to her folks once a year you understand. Lets see how we go and we can talk about full works foreman in 5 years or so when the old fella retires.

Regards Lez.

It's a deal Lez, I'll get my people to talk to your people 😀

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

16 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Seems I'm a dinosaur.

14 hours ago, Gopher said:

So I am clearly also part of the dinosaur club 

Room for another dinosaur? If you've got a space in the drawing office, I can bring a calculation book, £9.99 calculator, scale rules (imperial or metric), box of railway curves, negative film and rotring pens. I do have a book of logarithmic tables somewhere, if you prefer. 

Happy to run the tea club and amble up past the station to get the milk and biscuits at appropriate times if what I bring in first thing runs out.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Fishplate said:

rotring pens.

I could bring those too.  All dried out, not used for 30+ years.  Hand too shaky even if they did work.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Rotring pens, now that's a blast from the past. My last one went MIA over twenty years ago, marvellous things for making line drawings and  illustrations as well as technical drawings. 

I'm too heavy handed now for the modern fibre tipped version, plus they don't last five minutes.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I could bring those too.  All dried out, not used for 30+ years.  Hand too shaky even if they did work.

Paul.

27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Rotring pens, now that's a blast from the past. My last one went MIA over twenty years ago, marvellous things for making line drawings and  illustrations as well as technical drawings. 

I'm too heavy handed now for the modern fibre tipped version, plus they don't last five minutes.

In the good old bad old days, more than 40 years ago, I used to letter wagons with a 0.1mm Rotring pen and white ink. Not easy but not much choice in the matter at the time. Then, praise be, Woodhead transfers appeared.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough I too have a set of Rotring pens seem us old dinosaurs had all the best equipment.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Room for another dinosaur? If you've got a space in the drawing office, I can bring a calculation book, £9.99 calculator, scale rules (imperial or metric), box of railway curves, negative film and rotring pens. I do have a book of logarithmic tables somewhere, if you prefer. 

Happy to run the tea club and amble up past the station to get the milk and biscuits at appropriate times if what I bring in first thing runs out.

Always room for another dinosaur John, welcome aboard

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hinton Manor at rest. 

Dapol model which runs beautifully.  It also has a Dapol sound project installed - which is excellent.  I know there is criticism of this model, but have to say I am very happy with it (and it's sibling Hook Norton Manor).. 

For the record,  Torquay Manor (Accurascale), is also an excellent model, with a great sound project.  It is still a bit too quiet for my liking (despite an upgrade of the tender speaker).  I am a big fan of Accurascale, and seem to be a regular customer.  My buying habits have definitely changed since Accurascale and Rapido got into the game, and of course Dapol relaunched themselves with a host of GWR models.          

IMG_5777.JPG.2c56239aee04c8cd58512a8f7aba48c1.JPG

• Like 14

On 13/02/2024 at 08:11, Gopher said:

Another busy day at Harewood Halt

IMG_5802.JPG.25b3eeb5d728d1a3889da98103768ae3.JPG

Snap! 20 years earlier in southwest Shropshire, the postman is doubtless telling the porter that he's "Wastin' his time!"

IMG_20220812_134951.jpg.443aab48e3212d643643f6fa932e1e7c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Snap! 20 years earlier in southwest Shropshire, the postman is doubtless telling the porter that he's "Wastin' his time!"

IMG_20220812_134951.jpg.443aab48e3212d643643f6fa932e1e7c.jpg

Glad he got a transfer from Buggleskelly, I hope he has left some of his more eccentric behaviours behind  😀, or is the postman the ex porter from Buggleskelly.  

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Glad he got a transfer from Buggleskelly, I hope he has left some of his more eccentric behaviours behind  😀, or is the postman the ex porter from Buggleskelly.  

Not sure, we decided that he'd waste his time and I'd waste mine.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Off to work another shift

20231217_153513.jpg.d9f3a1823166f06ac0474d486d9e78d8.jpg

Very atmospheric, just needs to be in black and white with a police Wolseley 6-80 lurking by the gate!

I know, we watch too many old films in our house...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Fishplate said:

That is a very nice blend between the 3D model and 2D backscene in that picture.

Thanks John.  I am quite chuffed the way the backscene adds depth to the 3d model.  Took me a while to decide on which backscene would be most effective.  

Clive

• Like 2

The BRS Lorry crew making final preparations before they head off.  Model is a Road Transport Images kit - Gut Otter Motor Panels 1954 cab and chassis.  The Porter and the cat take the opportunity for 40 winks. 

20240203_124408.jpg.f195098b7eb60281801eb056a36615fe.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1