The Chaldrons, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium

I was making notes from the Returns of Working Stock in the North Eastern Railway's half-yearly Reports and Accounts at the National Archives the other day [TNA RAIL 1110/362 & 363]. The North Eastern, having a lot of mineral wagons, usefully reported not simply a gross total but listed them by type, including chaldron wagons. So here's a chart showing the decline from a stock of 6,400 in 1893 to 56 in 1912:

NERChaldronWagons.jpg.9fdadecf857a7e2312d7e2b478adeda0.jpg

NB. The tick-mark for each year is the year end. For example, the stock was 3,000 at 30 June 1900, reduced to 2,200 at 31 December 1900.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/01/2024 at 15:58, Compound2632 said:

I was making notes from the Returns of Working Stock in the North Eastern Railway's half-yearly Reports and Accounts at the National Archives the other day [TNA RAIL 1110/362 & 363]. The North Eastern, having a lot of mineral wagons, usefully reported not simply a gross total but listed them by type, including chaldron wagons. So here's a chart showing the decline from a stock of 6,400 in 1893 to 56 in 1912:

NERChaldronWagons.jpg.9fdadecf857a7e2312d7e2b478adeda0.jpg

NB. The tick-mark for each year is the year end. For example, the stock was 3,000 at 30 June 1900, reduced to 2,200 at 31 December 1900.

It's the colliery systems and private mineral railways in the NE where the chaldrons persisted. The Stella and South Hetton systems, for instance, were using them into NCB days, although on the other hand there was the Pontop & Jarrow, which was very go-ahead in developing conventional wagon fleets, burning their remaining "black waggons" in, IIRC, 1911. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It's the colliery systems and private mineral railways in the NE where the chaldrons persisted. The Stella and South Hetton systems, for instance, were using them into NCB days, although on the other hand there was the Pontop & Jarrow, which was very go-ahead in developing conventional wagon fleets, burning their remaining "black waggons" in, IIRC, 1911. 

Yes, I understood that. I just happened to have the data for the NER chaldrons and thought it might be of interest.

51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes, I understood that. I just happened to have the data for the NER chaldrons and thought it might be of interest.

I understood that!

I simply meant that the other side of the story to public railway decline was private railway endurance, perhaps worth including for completeness

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

perhaps worth including for completeness

Except that the private railways weren't obliged to publish Reports and Accounts in the standard BoT form, so there's no readily-accessible data.