The Chaldrons, By Accurascale

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Bishdurham,

We had word that the ship was delayed a week in Spain (bet the crew had fun!) and it will now dock on the 31st. Coal loads to follow at a later date.

Cheers!

Fran

What a coincidence 🙄

Theyll dock on payday when I’ll just have to order some more! 😂

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

I just noticed that the Project Status page on the Accurascale website shows the Chaldrons as arrived (so I guess they did dock on/close to  the 31st)

Correct :) We hope to commence shipping out to customers on Monday 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

As @mozzer models outlines the Chaldrons have landed and we have started to dispatch pre-orders. It will take us a few days to get through pre-orders for direct customers and trade so your patience is appreciated! 

We will have the remaining stock back on the website shortly for you to purchase too.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Well I got a set this evening which a friend brought me to the club. Beautiful model however I said no to them. The magnetic couplings have a chain that seems to be made from steel so the chain & the pin holding the chain have self magnetised & as a result the couplings stick to themselves. 

A shame really as they are a nice wagon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Simon Moore said:

Well I got a set this evening which a friend brought me to the club. Beautiful model however I said no to them. The magnetic couplings have a chain that seems to be made from steel so the chain & the pin holding the chain have self magnetised & as a result the couplings stick to themselves. 

A shame really as they are a nice wagon.

Hi Simon,

If you place the coupling of another chaldron close by they will just snap together, the joys of magnets and there was no other coupling system that would work on these without ruining their appearance. It's quite a simple solution.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Simon,

If you place the coupling of another chaldron close by they will just snap together, the joys of magnets and there was no other coupling system that would work on these without ruining their appearance. It's quite a simple solution.

Cheers!

Fran 

It is a nice solution but it doesn't work as intended because either the chain itself, or the pin that holds the chain to the wagon, is made of a ferrous metal. The magnets turn in and stick to this instead of hanging down and attracting to the magnet on the next wagon. I needed to lift each wagon off the track and position it so the magnets could touch and pull away from the chain or pin (not sure which it is they ate attracting to) before placing them on the track. Whichever it is it should have been made of brass and not ferrous metal. Once they are all on the track the magnets hold the train of 6 together quite nicely.

From the Accurascale video, showing how they work:

acc1.jpg.f5119faf67828ecab8159aea0d1a28a4.jpg

And how they are on all six of my wagons. They won't hang down because they are attracted to the pin or chain.

DSCF9343.JPG.9c0cee333e1526ea1e50d4b09cb511da.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

My first pack arrived today (2 more in the post), I went for the NCB triple pack.

I had read that these wagons were small but I don’t think I quite appreciated how tiny they were! 
I’m super impressed by them though, the packaging is superb complete with Accurascale’s excellent prototype information and detailed assembly drawings.

I’ve included some photos I’ve just taken of my set and I hope these show how good they really are.

The couplings are a great innovation and despite what I’d read they do work really well, yes when I took them out the box the magnet was attracted to the top of the coupling but once this had been separated it doesn’t magnetise back to the pin during normal use/running, they work just as shown in the Accurascale video.

These wagons are a must for anybody with a micro layout!

Well done Accurascale for pushing the boat out with 00 models again, we’d of never have seen anything like this from the ‘big’ manufacturers.

Hope you all find the pictures useful :)

Cheers,

Adam 

P.S. The coin in a 10p piece for size comparison.

B697C295-5FF2-4F9E-8EAC-EF1D0AAB0EA1.jpeg

BDDF59ED-9871-470D-933A-0050BF56A584.jpeg

39D40BE7-45B8-4DD5-A953-B202D64924C3.jpeg

Edited by Northmoor MPD
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

I’m super impressed by them though, the packaging is superb complete with Accurascale’s excellent prototype information and detailed assembly drawings.

I’ve included some photos I’ve just taken of my set and I hope these show how good they really are.

Hope you all find the pictures useful :)

Cheers,

Adam 

Thanks for posting - I hadn't lifted the lower tray out of my pack so had not realised there is a Limited Edition Certificate and information sheet included

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Received my two packs of the Stella Coal Company wagons yesterday and what little works of art they are! I really love the couplings system as well, it looks so good when the rake is formed. I think I may well end up buying some the separate coupling packs for use on some of my other stock. Well done Accurascale, you've done a stunning job with these!

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Love seeing them weathered up and in action on layouts. Please keep them coming.

In the meantime, Paul from the Beamish Museum sent us on some obligatory "small, far away" pics which we thought you might enjoy!

IMG_6029.JPG.6da47c7968a5e606cc35d7d36d15d311.JPG

IMG_6014.JPG.152b4b058fbdf66b898769b9c8d53fb0.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG.af9723ebba74f89704b11b0bae0ea59b.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG.1fa1e8ed8ca84275f0d12965b58686fd.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG.b462d4ae42c200a6f0a0eafc295d7d69.JPG

More packs will be arriving with stockists this week, and we're running low on our own stock levels, so make sure you don't miss out: https://www.accurascale.com/collections/chaldron

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 14

On 09/09/2022 at 11:54, Ruston said:

It is a nice solution but it doesn't work as intended because either the chain itself, or the pin that holds the chain to the wagon, is made of a ferrous metal. The magnets turn in and stick to this instead of hanging down and attracting to the magnet on the next wagon. I needed to lift each wagon off the track and position it so the magnets could touch and pull away from the chain or pin (not sure which it is they ate attracting to) before placing them on the track. Whichever it is it should have been made of brass and not ferrous metal. Once they are all on the track the magnets hold the train of 6 together quite nicely.

From the Accurascale video, showing how they work:

acc1.jpg.f5119faf67828ecab8159aea0d1a28a4.jpg

And how they are on all six of my wagons. They won't hang down because they are attracted to the pin or chain.

DSCF9343.JPG.9c0cee333e1526ea1e50d4b09cb511da.JPG

@Accurascale FranI have, today, received my pack of NCB (Ex-Stella) chaldrons and on this set the couplings do hang down and work as intended. As there is clearly a manufacturing fault with certain batches, will you be replacing the faulty couplings for those of us who have them?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

@Accurascale FranI have, today, received my pack of NCB (Ex-Stella) chaldrons and on this set the couplings do hang down and work as intended. As there is clearly a manufacturing fault with certain batches, will you be replacing the faulty couplings for those of us who have them?

Hi Dave,

To be honest we have had zero emails regarding this, so I don’t think it’s exactly a “clear manufacturing fault” as you say. If you are having an issue the best course of action is to email us at support@accurascale.co.uk with your order number and we will be happy to assist you. 

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Ruston said:

I can’t see that they would make some couplings out of non ferrous and some of of ferrous metal so I don’t believe it’s a batch problem at all.

I personally think that when the model is being thrown around in a parcel by a courier the chain can be thrown around so that it could magnetise to the pin holding it on, in a real life situation on a layout the coupling is never going to defy gravity and stick upwards / backwards onto the wagon.

I think it was an observation by a customer when they opened the box but isn’t a problem with the models at all.

Cheers,

Adam

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

in a real life situation on a layout the coupling is never going to defy gravity and stick upwards / backwards onto the wagon.

They do on most of mine. I'm looking at a way to partially overcome and reduce the length of the connection between wagons.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine came with most chains tangled up and therefore the magnet hadn’t moved around and magnetised anything else. 

I’m getting a 9.5-10mm gap with four links of chain on each coupling

68C0211E-ACBF-4056-9F25-096CD7D00772.jpeg.23f665fb90f783613bd4460080e77897.jpeg

no attraction at 17mm apart,

8502D754-59A1-4D14-8AFA-9791E1D32B70.jpeg.dfe9377a672b0db70eb7f23aac008eb7.jpeg

16mm and they move out,

482C229B-1032-4727-8DA6-6D379535A7AD.jpeg.83fd0d15ccc93142d06dcd4facab70a0.jpeg

by 15mm they are pulling together,

5ADE52B1-D31B-4921-B18A-EDAD555972BA.jpeg.2ce5bf8c50ba1b8820c2b430c395979d.jpeg

Now a bit closer coupling would be nice and I reckon the couplings could be moved under the ends by a couple of mm reducing the gap to 5-6mm and still work perfectly with the same magnets. I’m not sure less links will work as they might not move freely enough. It would also make uncoupling them easier as a pair of tweezers or similar could be inserted between them and then released to pop them apart. Assuming you’d then need to separate them by around 14mm to prevent re-coupling it would need to open from around 4mm to fit between buffers.  

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

35 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

I can’t see that they would make some couplings out of non ferrous and some of of ferrous metal so I don’t believe it’s a batch problem at all.

I personally think that when the model is being thrown around in a parcel by a courier the chain can be thrown around so that it could magnetise to the pin holding it on, in a real life situation on a layout the coupling is never going to defy gravity and stick upwards / backwards onto the wagon.

I think it was an observation by a customer when they opened the box but isn’t a problem with the models at all.

Cheers,

Adam

The pin itself is non-ferrous, so this imaginary situation that you describe is an impossibility. It is definitely a batch problem. It is the end link that the pin fits through that is ferrous. In a "real life" situation on a layout the couplings do defy gravity. If two wagons are pulled apart the tension in the links releases and the magnets fling back and are attracted to the link around the pin. These are the SCC batch.

This does not happen on the NCB ones, that arrived the other day. The couplings on those do work as intended as there is no ferrous material in the coupling chain.

56 minutes ago, Ruston said:

The pin itself is non-ferrous, so this imaginary situation that you describe is an impossibility. It is definitely a batch problem. It is the end link that the pin fits through that is ferrous. In a "real life" situation on a layout the couplings do defy gravity. If two wagons are pulled apart the tension in the links releases and the magnets fling back and are attracted to the link around the pin. These are the SCC batch.

This does not happen on the NCB ones, that arrived the other day. The couplings on those do work as intended as there is no ferrous material in the coupling chain.

Ah ok, must just be me who’s got lucky with my 3 packs then! 
As you were, I’ll get back in my box 🤐

• Agree 1