The Chaldrons, By Accurascale

16 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Dave,

To be honest we have had zero emails regarding this, so I don’t think it’s exactly a “clear manufacturing fault” as you say. If you are having an issue the best course of action is to email us at support@accurascale.co.uk with your order number and we will be happy to assist you. 

Cheers!

Fran

Sorry, I didn't see this reply. I was responding to a notification of being quoted by Northmoor.

It has to be a manufacturing fault. They were like that out of the box, so unless someone's opened the box, taken off each coupling chain and replaced the end link post production then what else can it be? I would think that somewhere along the line someone has, for reasons unknown, gone against your specification and have used a ferrous end link. This end link appears to be slightly larger than the others, so the complete chain must be made up a length of one size and a single link of another and isn't simply a length of one single chain. To be honest, I'm not that fussed but it's as if some people think that I'm making this up. Out of however many thousand wagons made, Simon Moore's friend and I can't be the only ones to have this problem with some wagons. It would be interesting to know what type his were because, as I said previously, it is my SCC wagons that are affected; my NCB ones are fine.

I'm afraid that I don't have my order numbers. I didn't keep any record of them.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Sorry, I didn't see this reply. I was responding to a notification of being quoted by Northmoor.

It has to be a manufacturing fault. They were like that out of the box, so unless someone's opened the box, taken off each coupling chain and replaced the end link post production then what else can it be? I would think that somewhere along the line someone has, for reasons unknown, gone against your specification and have used a ferrous end link. This end link appears to be slightly larger than the others, so the complete chain must be made up a length of one size and a single link of another and isn't simply a length of one single chain. To be honest, I'm not that fussed but it's as if some people think that I'm making this up. Out of however many thousand wagons made, Simon Moore's friend and I can't be the only ones to have this problem with some wagons. It would be interesting to know what type his were because, as I said previously, it is my SCC wagons that are affected; my NCB ones are fine.

I'm afraid that I don't have my order numbers. I didn't keep any record of them.

Hi David,

As per my previous email, if you are having an issue the best recourse is to email us at support@accurascale.co,uk 

Your order numbers would be in your order confirmation email and the paperwork that came in the parcel belonging to your order. If you dont have either of them email us regardless and I'm sure our customer service team will look after you regardless 🙂

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Received my Seaham Harbour pack from Kernow earlier today. 

Wagons are excellent, no issues with them. 

Packaging is also very nice and solid and well designed.

These are my first item from Accurascale, won't be my last if more steam era stock is made! 

Many thanks indeed Pre Grouping ;) 

We have a few steam era bits and bobs in stock - https://www.accurascale.com/collections/wagons/era_br-steam+availability_in-stock? and more definitely to be announced soon :) 

22 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Well, you’re in for a treat then

Ooooh!

A Head Wrightson Coffee Pot or the Lewin then???

...   and then some Conflat L's.

3425669435_95db6403d2_b.jpgVictorian 0-4-0VB Steam Locomotive by Terry Pinnegar, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2022 at 21:59, mozzer models said:

mine have arrived & I have also just ordered the NCB ones

52342866241_1979f88eca_c.jpgIMG20220908133114 by brian mosby, on Flickr

52343169609_a8751c63c9_c.jpgIMG20220908133128 by brian mosby, on Flickr

boy are they small

52343110368_9633b4c2b0_c.jpgIMG20220908133144 by brian mosby, on Flickr

Your model looks superb

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

without trolling through all of the posts, have these seen any use on or near the London Midland region in the fifties/sixties, they are lovely but I never invoke rule 1.(sad I know!!)

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikks said:

without trolling through all of the posts, have these seen any use on or near the London Midland region in the fifties/sixties, they are lovely but I never invoke rule 1.(sad I know!!)

Mike

By the 1950s these were largely relegated to internal use at collieries in the North East.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, ikks said:

Mike

I found an  aerial photo of some at a works for carrying clay but can’t find it but it was somewhere south but no idea where but it was possibly 1950’s or 60’s!

I azz so

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Hold on to your hats, Sams trains has done his review on You Tube.

Executive summary for you:

• Detail GOOD
  • The issue with the magnetic couplings was highligthed as per earlier comments in thread
  • Apparently a 10g wagon should be free rolling and be able to roll down a slight grade with ease (a physics lesson might be in order)
  • Pushing them backwards around a layout at speed creates running "issues"

Obviously liked them though as he wants a second pack

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

• Detail GOOD
  • The issue with the magnetic couplings was highligthed as per earlier comments in thread
  • Apparently a 10g wagon should be free rolling and be able to roll down a slight grade with ease (a physics lesson might be in order)
  • Pushing them backwards around a layout at speed creates running "issues"

Obviously liked them though as he wants a second pack

My ‘favourite’ part of it was when he reversed one into another at a scale speed of 100mph then complained it didn’t couple properly 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 24/09/2022 at 21:12, ikks said:

Mike

TBH I don't really think they were really a west of the Pennines thing, apart from maybe in the early years. I did find a replica of one near Sankey (Widnes/Warrington).  No idea what it was made of as I just glanced at it. The wheels might be real though.

Photo here. Either that man is huge or it's tiny....

https://gerryco23.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/walking-the-mersey-along-sankey-brook-to-runcorn/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Using a loco (even a model loco) not fitted with dumb buffer extensions to propel chauldrons... 

What other outcome would be expected?

Slippers Sam is being a silly boy.

18-at-Seaham-Harbour(16)_1966.jpg.3dc8388364548637e097a71ff1753255.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Just watched the Sam video. he simply demonstrates a total lack of knowledge on how the wagons were actually  used in reality, and their obvious limitations as models .

As already said Dumb Buffers all round are required, and speed not more than a crawl.  I was surprised they actually stayed on the track at all !!.

Sam 1 out of 10 !!

Edited by micklner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

TBH I don't really think they were really a west of the Pennines thing,

The nearest you’ll come to a similar waggon are the Chaldron-esque types of the Carlisle and Maryport Railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2022 at 21:44, micklner said:

Just watched the Sam video. he simply demonstrates a total lack of knowledge on how the wagons were actually  used in reality, and their obvious limitations as models .

As already said Dumb Buffers all round are required, and speed not more than a crawl.  I was surprised they actually stayed on the track at all !!.

Sam 1 out of 10 !!

Without wanting to turn this into the Sam's trains debate, I do think the review highlighted an ignorance that these wagons do need to be used similar to the manor they were actually employed rather than as part of a regular rake to get the best from them. I.e. Loco's need appropriate buffers to push them or they will probably not have a good time round sharp curves etc.

I thought Jenny K's review made an excellent point that the weight could be improved significantly using real coal as a load.

Whilst I don't have a pack myself as I can't justify it, I do look forward to seeing how many layouts get built around these in a similar manor to how the Bachmann Double Fairlie / Hornby Pecketts have inspired layouts.

Accurascale and indeed @Islesy should be thoroughly applauded for the innovation shown and attention to detail such as real chains being used and making the chassis diecast. They've also brought this to market quicker and at a significantly cheaper price that the red box company can for 3 rocket tenders. This is certainly my wagon of the year.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Okay, I am going to say it.

Mine arrived this morning and they are about a third of the size I expected. 

I checked the end of the box to see if they were N Gauge. 

Putting it all down to a Spinal Tap Stonehenge incident.

Apologies to the purists. 

Mike

• Funny 5

On 26/09/2022 at 21:44, micklner said:

Sam 1 out of 10 !!

Well, at the risk of being yelled at by more knowledgeable folk, I have to admit that this is not something I was aware was an issue (in model form) either, and there's no indication of it in any of the promotional material. How many dumb-buffered locomotives are even available RTR?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, E100 said:

the weight could be improved significantly using real coal as a load

Resin coal loads for the Chaldrons will shortly be dispatched from the factory, and should be available soon. They do bring the weight up nicely.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

35 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

Well, at the risk of being yelled at by more knowledgeable folk, I have to admit that this is not something I was aware was an issue (in model form) either, and there's no indication of it in any of the promotional material. How many dumb-buffered locomotives are even available RTR?

Hornby (ex Dapol) L&Y Pug.

Hornby Caley Pug, if you remove the buffers that are placed on the dumb buffers (obviously that's not a modern/scale RTR model). 

spacer.png

https://www.hattons.co.uk/36001/hornby_r3064_class_0f_pug_0_4_0st_56025_smokey_joe_in_br_black/stockdetail

For all the knocking Hornby are getting recently, they actually make more dumb buffered locomotives than all the other RTR manufacturers do put together! 😛

Before the pedants point out it's the wrong type of dumb buffers, I know. I'm going down the RT Models Manning Wardle route for mine when he reopens. Always fancied a MW and now I've got an excuse for one.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2