The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Sir William Stanier Designed a Tank Bottom 5 Tanks By Rob Bell

mozzer models

• mozzer models changed the title to Sir William Stanier Designed a Tank Bottom 5 Tanks By Rob Bell

Rob Bell is a bit Marmite. 

I can take or leave him. I did get a bit fed up with his Railway Walks where he jumped from place to place rather than do the walk in the proper order. The Welsh Slate one was in a very strange order. Llanberis, then Bangor, then back in Llanberis, then somewhere else....

As for the Covenantor they would have been given a specification and told  "build that". I doubt Crewe really had much say in the design. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenanter_tank

There is also the fact they were in a bit of a hurry....

Quite a modern looking and stylish tank for the time though.

spacer.png

Jason

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I can take or leave him. I did get a bit fed up with his Railway Walks where he jumped from place to place rather than do the walk in the proper order. The Welsh Slate one was in a very strange order. Llanberis, then Bangor, then back in Llanberis, then somewhere else....

He totally missed out Highbridge Wharf when walking east from Burnham. It had a very significant role in the development of the Somerset Central, but he and presumably his director preferred to have him wandering off the track through the willow groves of the Somerset Levels.

57 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

As for the Covenantor they would have been given a specification and told  "build that". I doubt Crewe really had much say in the design. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenanter_tank

There is also the fact they were in a bit of a hurry....

Quite a modern looking and stylish tank for the time though.

spacer.png

Jason

Looks to have been very much influenced by the Russian T-34 (?). All sloping sides. I'll have to some research but I'd be surprised if these were designed by the LMS, more likely to be Royal Ordnance.

• RMweb Premium

I see the Tank Museum has has whole series of "Bottom 5 Tanks" videos on YouTube. I counted six of them, so they must reckon it's a winning formula.

I wonder if the (National) Railway Museum might take a leaf from their book with multiple experts and celebrities listing their Bottom Five locomotives.

2 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

He totally missed out Highbridge Wharf when walking east from Burnham. It had a very significant role in the development of the Somerset Central, but he and presumably his director preferred to have him wandering off the track through the willow groves of the Somerset Levels.

Yes. There was a few like that. I daresay people who know other areas could point out similar examples.

I'm quite familiar with the S&D route from this book a few years ago. Can't believe that it came out in 1986 though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Somerset-Dorset-Then-Now/dp/0850597978

I thought the idea was you start in one place and walk to another, whilst pointing out interesting things along the route. So that you could do the walk yourself. 

7 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I see the Tank Museum has has whole series of "Bottom 5 Tanks" videos on YouTube. I counted six of them, so they must reckon it's a winning formula.

I wonder if the (National) Railway Museum might take a leaf from their book with multiple experts and celebrities listing their Bottom Five locomotives.

theres also the Top 5 tanks

• RMweb Gold

Which segues nicely into bottom 5 locomotives.  Here we go:-

5. Class 50.  Usurped the last of steam by cascading on the LMR, and I liked steam, then usurped the Westerns directly on the WR, and I liked the Westerns.

4. All the WR hydraulics except Hymek and Western.  Underpowered unreliable rubbish with built in obsolescence.

3. Deltic. Overpriced, overcomplicated, unreliable, noisy prima donnas.

2.Class 25.  Unstable at speed, draughty, no effective suspension, ride only second in diabolicality to 08, couldn't pull the skin off a pint of milk.

And in the top spot this Sunday on Johnster's bottom 5 hit parade.

1. Class 14.  Lucky if you got it to start and then even luckier if you got it to stop, appalling rubbish, pointless to introduce them in 1965.

There may or may not be some arbitrary personal preferences being expressed here...