• RMweb Gold

A bit more shed planning today, pretty happy with the front so this can be used as a template for the roof supports.  I know the inside of depots aren’t seen much but I want to do it properly, the plan is to make a frame work using brass I beams etc then add the roof and corrugated cladding etc.  I’ve also mocked up what will be the depot stores, I’ll be honest I’ve got a lot of inspiration from Crewe as regards to the shed and stores.

EF0F9E03-F00A-445C-AC04-61FB301B8495.jpeg

1908AE17-9706-4EBB-B128-A1CD96319D9F.jpeg

7F40BB55-8E00-4C07-BFC1-16BBB4717C34.jpeg

86A064B7-30C9-4F8D-AA72-B3BEED7C588E.jpeg

F14671BD-D208-4822-B7B4-D09CC381F3DD.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

Don't forget the 'new' diesel shed at Mollington St (8H) Paul!! Quite a steep pich on that one:

24036birkenhead76.jpg

40104-mollingtonSt1984-FB.jpg

Forgot about that one, was it converted from the old steam shed? 

It think was purpose built for the Hudwell-Clarke shunters when they came to Birkenhead in c.1955. I've never seen any pictures with a steam engine in it anyway - it always had a couple of 40s in it in my time (sorry - not a good pic, taken by an 11 year old me):

40s-291&297.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

It think was purpose built for the Hudwell-Clarke shunters when they came to Birkenhead in c.1955. I've never seen any pictures with a steam engine in it anyway - it always had a couple of 40s in it in my time (sorry - not a good pic, taken by an 11 year old me):

40s-291&297.jpg

That’s a great photo, green 40’s!! Love the oily dirty track 

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

I'm sure you'll be looking to reproduce that Paul! You've got a knack with that sort of thing, that I just can't get.

Thanks buddy I’ll definitely be giving it a go, don’t worry I’ll be doing a step by step when I get around to it, I tend to just dollop everything onto the track brush it around and hope it turns out ok 😂

• Funny 1

You must be a more skillful dolloper than me! 🙂

BTW: You got me thinking with your question whether the 'new' building at 8H was actually 'new', so I dug a bit more. It would seem that you are right - looking at the side of the building, you can quite clearly see that the main side wall is old, and they've raised the height, and must have built a new gable end at the same time:

47324-180267.jpg.718c95ab0e1654d8c5f7513de34c6a1a.jpg

On this one, you can see the newly converted shed with the Hudswell diesels outside, but it also shows that steam engines must have got into at least the right hand bay, judging by the smoke stains on the new brickwork.

8hShed8H-FB.jpg.14d604a178bcdcf09720a198bdfdf002.jpg

Anyway, hope it helped, but I've taken things off topic enough - back to your thread!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, billy_anorak59 said:

You must be a more skillful dolloper than me! 🙂

BTW: You got me thinking with your question whether the 'new' building at 8H was actually 'new', so I dug a bit more. It would seem that you are right - looking at the side of the building, you can quite clearly see that the main side wall is old, and they've raised the height, and must have built a new gable end at the same time:

47324-180267.jpg.718c95ab0e1654d8c5f7513de34c6a1a.jpg

On this one, you can see the newly converted shed with the Hudswell diesels outside, but it also shows that steam engines must have got into at least the right hand bay, judging by the smoke stains on the new brickwork.

8hShed8H-FB.jpg.14d604a178bcdcf09720a198bdfdf002.jpg

Anyway, hope it helped, but I've taken things off topic enough - back to your thread!

More fantastic pics and don’t worry about going off thread it’s all very interesting and relevant, I did wonder the other day about having maybe one wall of the depot being part of the old steam shed but not sure how it would look.

Keep the pics coming!!

• Like 1

On 29/09/2022 at 08:02, PjKing1 said:

Thanks mate here’s a video you might like, fir the under frames usually use a base coat of Matt black or railmatch roof dirt then whilst still wet I add various black and earth coloured powders.   Once happy I then seal with a satin varnish then add other little bits like oil and grease etc

Thanks for that, that is a superb bit of weathering! 

• Thanks 1

On 01/10/2022 at 17:44, PjKing1 said:

Was playing around with roof angles last night I’m thinking a less of a pitch similar to Springs Branch might look better for a two road shed

CF5EB851-C0A5-4DC4-B1E5-03038CBB8C4E.jpeg

64527F8A-0F04-4DB8-AE98-F0B087E53FFF.jpeg

F46A6F7D-DA1E-42EF-B06A-DCD0944A63C6.jpeg

FA0B46CD-7046-4557-8339-1BCD73C95AF9.jpeg

I frequented Springers at least twice a week and modelled a depot loosely based on it. I never knew it had a pitched roof. Clearly shows you have a for eye for detail as shown with you superb weathering. I am no expert. I think all the LMR diesel depots are of the same design.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, keysan said:

I frequented Springers at least twice a week and modelled a depot loosely based on it. I never knew it had a pitched roof. Clearly shows you have a for eye for detail as shown with you superb weathering. I am no expert. I think all the LMR diesel depots are of the same design.

Thanks mate, I’ve been searching through hundreds of photos on the net an Flickr at various depots just to get a feel for them, the roof at SB only had a very slight pitch and hardly noticeable really, but I do like the flatter roofs, here’s some pics (not mine I hasten to add) 

0855D8A3-3A3F-46CE-9DFC-FA107F92BB75.jpeg

AF7A3B5C-06A3-428A-8D18-D79298F90A93.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

Came across this great pic yesterday of Exhibition Jcn, which is all part of Edge Hill

Exhibition Jnc_Enhanced

HI Paul.

Fab picture.  What's the green loco in the bottom left corner, though?  It looks fireless: if so, where is it working - and why, as there are other kettles about?  Is the fact it's on a train of vans significant?

Rod

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dmudriver said:

HI Paul.

Fab picture.  What's the green loco in the bottom left corner, though?  It looks fireless: if so, where is it working - and why, as there are other kettles about?  Is the fact it's on a train of vans significant?

Rod

Morning road sorry late reply I’m on early’s this week, according to Chris who took the photo it’s ‘Crawford biscuits fireless loco’  but that’s all it says, interesting though.  (Edit) just found this on tinternet and this image on eBay 

https://www.geograph.org.uk/snippet/21107

Hope your doing well Rod

3B4E7A75-2AE9-4EE4-8E6D-E965A1CF9740.jpeg

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 3

Fascinating pics those, Paul.  I've seen fireless locos before but didn't know (or don't remember!!) that there was a Crawford's factory at Edge Hill.

LIfe's OK, thanks - particularly as my team is now beginning to play a lot better than last season!!!  💙💙   Modelling-wise, I'm venturing into narrow gauge: 0-16.5 to be precise.  Always fancied it and WKT is running how I wanted it and looking pretty much how I wanted it, too, so I thought I'd have a change of direction.  There's a lot to learn!!

Hope all is well with you.   All the best.

Rod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Dmudriver said:

Fascinating pics those, Paul.  I've seen fireless locos before but didn't know (or don't remember!!) that there was a Crawford's factory at Edge Hill.

LIfe's OK, thanks - particularly as my team is now beginning to play a lot better than last season!!!  💙💙   Modelling-wise, I'm venturing into narrow gauge: 0-16.5 to be precise.  Always fancied it and WKT is running how I wanted it and looking pretty much how I wanted it, too, so I thought I'd have a change of direction.  There's a lot to learn!!

Hope all is well with you.   All the best.

Rod

That’s great I’d seen your new venture and it’s looking great 👍🏼 I do miss O gauge in some ways but I’m enjoying 4mm much more and I’m enjoying modelling again.  I’m working for TPE now mate so if your ever going across the Pennines let me know! 

As for our teams I think your boys might finish above us this season if we carry on the way we have been playing 🤦🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

As for our teams I think your boys might finish above us this season if we carry on the way we have been playing 🤦🏻‍♂️

That thought's crossed my mind too - but there's a long way to go yet in the season!!

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 09:47, PjKing1 said:

Came across this great pic yesterday of Exhibition Jcn, which is all part of Edge Hill

Exhibition Jnc_Enhanced

Great photo, it's hard to picture were that is now after the changes in the area. I have been playing the Steam era Train Sim route to Crewe which has the track as it was just before the OHLE went up. Just went through before also on the train to Prescot and the line that starts to climb just after the Edge Hill PSB has trees growing out of it. I remember the mail set used to get stabled on that (all Handbrakes applied I hope!!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, JBM37404 said:

Great photo, it's hard to picture were that is now after the changes in the area. I have been playing the Steam era Train Sim route to Crewe which has the track as it was just before the OHLE went up. Just went through before also on the train to Prescot and the line that starts to climb just after the Edge Hill PSB has trees growing out of it. I remember the mail set used to get stabled on that (all Handbrakes applied I hope!!).

I remember the coaches being stabled on the incline to mate great memories of a far better era.  I’ve been playing TSW to butbjnky had a quick go of the Liverpool to Crewe route using diesels, I can’t master kettles 😂

Here’s a photo of the overgrown up and down goods I took a few months back 

2F592ECA-0EA3-44B9-98FA-44452B1E7AA8.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well this made getting up at 4 in the morning seem worthwhile.  Sat at York this morning waiting to work a train back to Leeds and this delightful pair turned up, working 0Z23 Middlesbrough to Crewe

FB1F954C-2984-4BBB-8552-C62A17FE7FD4.jpeg

0BDCFEE8-4502-43ED-8AE6-2BF1C91AC346.jpeg

05A0346E-60A8-4480-9693-8F6C6BF9F07B.jpeg

ED122EF8-BF3B-40A8-BB1A-8EBB0F1C6244.jpeg

91A24D0B-80DE-48E2-857F-AAE0D4585192.jpeg

• Like 9