RMweb

A look at the Hawksworths

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Fine as it will be to acquire a Hawksworth BG to occasionaly put in a parcels train, I am so much looking forward to seeing this model of Mr Churchward's most handsome design. Two pre-group design RTR 2-8-0 introductions in a year, this is an ambrosial feast.

I had a quick look at one on Mr Kohler's stand down in Cornwall last week and it looked pretty good - but I didn't pick it up to have a really good nose around. I shall have a further look tomorrow as it is bound to be at Swindon (or there will be something seriously wrong if it isn't).

And soon we'll be in the position of the 47XX and the S160 being the two designs of 2-8-0 (and the 42XX 2-8-0T) which ran on the GW/WR that aren't available in 4mm r-t-r so I can just see what sort of wish-list froth we'll be getting next! :lol:

• Like 3

And soon we'll be in the position of the 47XX and the S160 being the two designs of 2-8-0 (and the 42XX 2-8-0T) which ran on the GW/WR that aren't available in 4mm r-t-r so I can just see what sort of wish-list froth we'll be getting next! :lol:

There was a little 47xx frothing on the Hornby forum a couple of weeks ago. The 42xx has been at the top of the MREmag wishlist poll (for GWR locomotives) for a couple of years now.

But the S160? Really? That would be froth indeed. I had no idea what one was - your post prompted me to look it up. What's even more amazing is how many of the USATC S160s are preserved! Thanks Mike, and no, I don't want one in 4mm RTR!

• Like 1

There was a little 47xx frothing on the Hornby forum a couple of weeks ago. The 42xx has been at the top of the MREmag wishlist poll (for GWR locomotives) for a couple of years now.

But the S160? Really? That would be froth indeed. I had no idea what one was - your post prompted me to look it up. What's even more amazing is how many of the USATC S160s are preserved! Thanks Mike, and no, I don't want one in 4mm RTR!

Am I the only person who thinks that an S160 looks better when it is locked in a shed, so you CAN'T see it? Last time I saw something that ugly, I was engaged to it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are GWR fans so happy with their large Prairie, 'County' and 'King', and that so many GW locos remain to be done, that they would froth for an obscure USA S160? Mmmm. Actually, I hope they do waste their vote then the other railways might get a look in......:lol:

Larry, you're even more cynical than me :P I suppose asking for an S160 is rather like the steam equivalent of asking for a retooling of the limited edition Fell diesel as commissioned from Hornjanmannpol but they got the wrong kind of radiator grills - something we should all forget (but someone probably won't).

I am still looking for the Austin Seven but it's Swindon day today so the waiting goes on I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

Just to keep you're appetites whetted here's a pic from Swindon today. Asked on the Cheltenham stand if they had any and they said 'no - not expected before the end of the month'. They also 'expressed doubt' that Hattons have actually got any in stock yet - well they didn't quite word it that way but it would be awkward to repeat what they really said :lol:

post-6859-074269000 1284233492_thumb.jpg

Are GWR fans so happy with their large Prairie, 'County' and 'King', and that so many GW locos remain to be done, that they would froth for an obscure USA S160? Mmmm. Actually, I hope they do waste their vote then the other railways might get a look in......:lol:

Hardly obscure. There were 2120 of the things built. It was one of the largest classes in the world and used in many countries. There were some still in everyday use well after steam had ended in Britain. Far more likely to do one in HO that 4mm though.

Andy May

• RMweb Premium

Just to keep you're appetites whetted here's a pic from Swindon today. Asked on the Cheltenham stand if they had any and they said 'no - not expected before the end of the month'. They also 'expressed doubt' that Hattons have actually got any in stock yet - well they didn't quite word it that way but it would be awkward to repeat what they really said :lol:

A bit of trader jealousy perhaps? "More than 10 in Stock" for that one model, and for what reason would Hattons lie?

• RMweb Gold

A bit of trader jealousy perhaps? "More than 10 in Stock" for that one model, and for what reason would Hattons lie?

Also in stock at Rails Sheffield...and I saw some on Ebay earlier this evening.

Sounds like it. I phoned East Somerset Models yesterday and was told that they had had 12 in on Friday and they had put one aside for me to pick up on my next day off.

I am after a full set of maroon ones and a couple in b/c.

• RMweb Gold

Any word on when the BGs are due to arrive on these fair shores?

(I've a pot of Rail Blue and gangway removal tool at the ready) smile.gif

Oops missed Mikes earlier post

I'm not quite sure what is happening tho' Bob. Last week down in Cornwall Simon Kohler said they would all be arriving in the UK at the same time - which I indicated might be a bit of a financial shock for me as I have one of each in both liveries on order. However what is going on with shop indications on the 'net suggests they are not all arriving at shops at the same time? However if Mr K speaketh the correct information you only have a couple of weeks to sharpen the gangway chopping knife.

BTW you're spot on with the observation about Cheltenham - and I definitely would not repeat here precisely what they did say and imply about anotrher retailer.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mike. 325 was the last vehicle I worked on before being voluntarily absorbed into the regional HQ "collective" in 1979, so it's a long time a coming and I'm looking forward to it. I still have it's (oddly enough) S[W]R branded emergency oil lamp that we were replacing with BR ones!

The website set up be Hornby for traders gives the following dates: NOTE! These are the dates that the items are expected to arrive at Margate, and are not set in stone! Allow a few days for deliveries to arrive at your local shop.

However, as it is the end of Hornby's financial half-year at the end of September, they will look to get them out of the door at Margate as quickly as they can, so as to help their financial figures!

R4404 20/9/2010

R4405 20/9/2010

R4406 30/9/2010

R4407 30/9/2010

R4408 27/9/2010

R4409 11/10/10

R4410 already arrived

R4411 27/9/2010

R4412 30/9/2010

R4413 30/9/2010

• RMweb Premium

And the reason they (and the other traders) would do it for this one specific item is?

And curiously the "official" Hornby list kindly provided by the previous poster states it's out there now......

Don't tell me Bernard, it's a conspiracy of lies blink.gifwink.gif

Not everyone has got their first Hawksworth coaches yet!

Even though I posted that there are already in the country, it proved very frustrating on Saturday when one person called into the shop after a lengthy trip to have a look at said model, and then promptly accused us of not trying because Hattons had got their models, and we had not!

Hattons are showing the maroon third as "post 1953", (quote)

I'm not sure that 'post-1953' applies to the livery. Several of the silver-painted samples which Simon had at the Kernow show were labelled 'post-1953' which suggests that its a detail difference in the moulding, although I don't know what that might be, and Simon wasn't around to ask.

As to the 'S160', there's a current attempt to drum up enough interest to develop an RTR 'S160' in HO scale. Sadly there's not been a huge amount of interest - one would go nicely in my Alaska RR collection.

CHRIS LEIGH

Even though I posted that there are already in the country, it proved very frustrating on Saturday when one person called into the shop after a lengthy trip to have a look at said model, and then promptly accused us of not trying because Hattons had got their models, and we had not!

We get the same "It's in stock at Hattons" (Not necessarily about the HWs though) then they react as if it's your fault the manufacturer hasn't sent them yet, or worse, think you're lying to them, or worse, act as though they expect you to magic said item from your backside or something!

It's part of the job unfortunately...

I am considering maybe changing the company name to AAAAATrains4U though, to see if it makes a difference!

Guest Max Stafford

There's always one Mike! :rolleyes:

I know you're much too civil to tell him what you were thinking...! :lol:

Dave.

I am considering maybe changing the company name to AAAAATrains4U though, to see if it makes a difference!

As Clouseau might say "The old AFC Bournemouth ploy", well done Accrington Stanley!

Most customers usually do see it that if Hattons have it, then your supply will come in the immediate future.

I actually find it as infuriating when you hear that it is advertised in the magazines, so you must have it. The concept of press samples being flown in for review so as to stimulate demand ahead of a model release is one concept too far for some people

Grumble over!