A look at the Hawksworths

Andy Y

The coach formations I've got (c.1930 and 1938) both show it as alternating LNER and GWR stock.

Adrian

In the Summer 1954 NER carriage workings, the York-Swansea train alternated between NER and WR stock the basic formation being BTK, CK, Restaurant (WR)/RB (NER), 2 TK, CK, BTK. Strengthened by an extra 3 TK on Fridays and Saturdays when the train ran through to/from Newcastle.

oOOO :D

Now you've got me thinking Coach...

Any get to Liverpool or North of the border he asks as his credit card runs away and hides :huh:

Ian,

Plenty of Eric Treacy photos of GW through coaches at the front of trains coming out of Liverpool. Plenty of other Pics in Manchester (London Road/Piccadilly) and the previously mentioned through coaches Glasgow - West of England that were detached at Crewe.

Anyone know when the other blood and custards are due out? The corridor third for instance. I'm tempted to run one in GW double waist livery with BR markings - when they eventually come out, but I'm glad I can avoid the dowdy maroon ones! Glad to watch the YouTube Rob. I see you have got the Hawksworth together at the front of the train so that only one corridor adapter is required.

A list here earlier suggested possible arrival of R4404 (blood and custard full brake) and R4405 (blood and custard corridor 3rd) on 20 Sept. but R4408 (bck) arrived earlier than the same list's 'possible' arrival on 27 Sept. The other blood and custard carriages, R4406 brake third and R4407 composite, were listed at 30 Sept. Like you I wait with anticipation.

Thanks for looking at the video clip I made, a pleasure. The mixtures of carriages in the 1950s and 60s certainly was interesting, here in NZ at holiday times with extra mostly steam expresses we used all kinds of 'occasional' old main line stock and suburban carriage stock to augment regular trains, with often old 1st class 'provincial' (that is, older main line) carriages which rode beautifully to be had for 2nd class fares. Carriage stocks were severely stretched at Easter and Christmas-New Year. With modelling BR I get the feeling that if it was improbable and unlikely, it probably did happen somewhere...

Rob

Ian,

Plenty of Eric Treacy photos of GW through coaches at the front of trains coming out of Liverpool. Plenty of other Pics in Manchester (London Road/Piccadilly) and the previously mentioned through coaches Glasgow - West of England that were detached at Crewe.

Time to dig the books out of the loft then..

Sláinte B)

Hi Rob, the days of dragging exotic coaches out of sidings at holiday periods dissapeared in the late 1960s on BR. But it was at its best in the early postwar period when even named trains had elderly arc roof coaches added. Thanks also for the info on release dates. .

As you pointed out, the need for adaptors for GW and LMS additions to trains of BR Mk1s and/or ER and SR stock would have been a considerable influence on things, quite apart from loading-gauge issues. There are a lot of DVDs of 1950s-1960s trains around now which show a lot of interesting combinations. 'Heyday of British Steam' (5 volumes) comes to mind, with S & D Fowler 2-8-0s hauling Thompson stock through Radstock, also a grimy 'Evening Star'.... I'm sure there are others.

Rob

Before I dive in and respray a blood & custard into GWR/BR chocolate & cream livery of early 1949, is there any indication Hornby will eventually do this or the full GWR variant?

Can't answer that Coach but the very idea of it has made me reach for Russell's 'GW Coaches Appendix #1' again.... on page 165 our man has an official Swindon shot of W7383 in double lined out chocolate & cream 'as bult in 1948'! How long would they have lasted in this livery do you think? (I'm not sure how often Swindon shopped their coaching stock in those days).

A mate is bringing his Hawksworth round tomorrow, can't wait to get my sticky mitts on them!

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

Before I dive in and respray a blood & custard into GWR/BR chocolate & cream livery of early 1949, is there any indication Hornby will eventually do this or the full GWR variant?

I would think Hornby will do them eventually, maybe worth waiting for the xmas announcement for the 2011 range.....if you can wait that long ;)

Nice work and pictures as always Larry :-)

Mine arrived today so for what its worth I took some pictures along with the maroon version to compare.

post-7026-031625700 1285347240_thumb.jpg

post-7026-051745300 1285347242_thumb.jpg

post-7026-039013200 1285347244_thumb.jpg

post-7026-091965900 1285347245_thumb.jpg

post-7026-088180500 1285347247_thumb.jpg

post-7026-010544100 1285347250_thumb.jpg

post-7026-011004100 1285347252_thumb.jpg

I am really pleased with the blood and custard version, the first for me in that livery.

I was going to keep this as the odd one out and get a couple more maroon.

Now thinking more B&C and use the maroon as the odd one with mk1's.

I think this must be one of the best coaches that Hornby have produced so far.

Oh Thompson's to the same quality please! These are good!!

Wouldn't be surprised - this is likely to be popular.

• RMweb Gold

Simon Kohler 'expressed an interest' in that livery (not sure whether full GWR version or very early BR?) once he learnt the coaches actually wore those colours. So you might get an answer in your Christmas box - it you're prepared to wait that long ;) (and if he's finished his love affair with the Southern)

Can't answer that Coach but the very idea of it has made me reach for Russell's 'GW Coaches Appendix #1' again.... on page 165 our man has an official Swindon shot of W7383 in double lined out chocolate & cream 'as bult in 1948'! How long would they have lasted in this livery do you think? (I'm not sure how often Swindon shopped their coaching stock in those days).

A mate is bringing his Hawksworth round tomorrow, can't wait to get my sticky mitts on them!

Nidge ;)

The two royal duties ones lasted long enough to go straight to BR choc cream.. chrisf is the man with the details there though, i'd had too big a hangover to remember the numbers of them i'm afraid!

I'd be amazed if Hornby didn't do the GWR livery as no doubt many will buy them anyway for choc box layouts without any worries about them being a post war design..

I suspect those built and outshopped between 1948 and May 1949 were in chocolate and cream double waist livery with W prefix numbers, and those after this date in bood & custard. If we give a coach five years between painting, the choc & cream liveries would last until 1954 and possibly longer if Swindon was still busy with a backlog of other work.

Thanks Larry. Time to dig out a few more books and have a good old perusal methinks... a nice plain black Grange with early BR crest and red backed plate, hauling some choc & cream / blood & custard Hawksworths and the odd Syphon suddenly seems very appealing B)

Craig - I wasn't aware of the Royal pair, cheers for the tip.

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Larry. Time to dig out a few more books and have a good old perusal methinks... a nice plain black Grange with early BR crest and red backed plate, hauling some choc & cream / blood & custard Hawksworths and the odd Syphon suddenly seems very appealing B)

Nidge ;)

Or you could be absolutely prototypical and have a 'Modified Hall' in full GW livery as one survived in that condition until the mid 1950s :)

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking through my Ian Allan colour albums and found on page 75 of "Working Steam, Collett and Hawksworth Halls" a photo of a Hawksworth BSK in maroon. The curtains do stand out and are a sort of cream colour, so maybe Hornby are not too far off the mark with theirs. The main difference is that they are tied back much further, so less obtrusive than in the models.

Ian,

Had a look last night and what a lovely load of examples.

Even some in North Wales and other places I cannae remember just now....

Verily these Hawksworths are looking very much a buy methinks

Moving on a bit - who is first to take a BG and give it a coat of BR Blue then? :rolleyes:

That is one variant I think Hornby will miss off...