A look at the Hawksworths

Andy Y

...But the S160? Really? That would be froth indeed. I had no idea what one was - your post prompted me to look it up. What's even more amazing is how many of the USATC S160s are preserved! Thanks Mike, and no, I don't want one in 4mm RTR!

It would certainly save having to scratchbuild one. So far, I've only got hold of suitable bogies for the tender, and driving wheelsets for the engine. There is the Skinley 4mm drawing which is probably better than nothing, but I think there is also another drawing in Edward Talbot's book on the BR Standards (Volume 2), which covers the WD engines.

I actually find it as infuriating when you hear that it is advertised in the magazines, so you must have it. The concept of press samples being flown in for review so as to stimulate demand ahead of a model release is one concept too far for some people

That's not as bad as North American N stock - when you see the review in Model Railroader it means that the item is already sold out - not a lot of point to the review then...

Adrian

They do though even Hattons couldn't find one to photograph without wonky corridor connectors!

Nor could Rails - perhaps thay all have wonky corridor connectors?

JE

Nor could Rails - perhaps thay all have wonky corridor connectors?

JE

That's what I meant by even Hattons, they normally put a bit more effort in over Rails at the pictures!

I wouldn't be surprised if they are all like it though as the Staniers certainly were, its the issue with using that very flexible plastic for these. As I said earlier though, they are too long anyway though its a bit embarrassing to see all the sales photos like that.

For anyone who does get one of these all 3rd can you check if there is a more retracted looking version in the box or not? Suspended gangways shouldn't retract on bow end stock like the scissors type but i'd hope Hornby put something shorter in the pack with an end board on for those doing proper close coupling.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the corridors have been designed like that. Would they have sunk like that over time on the real railways?

They tended to do all sorts of things, sometimes making them rather awkward to couple although I was only really familiar with them in their final years and by then the maintenance etc could well have been based on less experience of how to look after them properly than had once been the case?

They could be a confounded nuisance when splitting vehicles as Shunters used to modern gangways had the occasional habit of forgetting to undo the gangway clips leading to the need for ad-hoc repairs (if the resultant damage wasn't too bad, or shopping if it was bad). Mind you they were very helpful at parting when trying to separate derailed vehicles ;)

4 x Corridor thirds (seconds) in maroon arrived from 'Rails' this a.m., Much better flush glazing than the new staniers, beautiful looking coaches, Hornby are certainly the coach builders, judging by these. Only extras in the pack are alternative connectors and end covers (2) for the corridor connectors, which are mis-shapen and reach over the sprung buffers. But very well built.

Andy

It is a great shame about those horrible curtains I wonder if Hornby could be persuaded to produce some minus the curtains, still the corridor side looks alright I suppose.

Actually I wish Hornby didn't print a gold line on that side either.

Going to the lengths they do with all the detail is spoiled a bit by putting the same picture of some rubbish curtains on everything! Even if you do manage to remove them they do seem to mark the glass a little :(.

With the corridor connectors they wouldn't misshape like this on the prototype when you have a big plate of steel on the ends.

No roof boards is a pity, they were a nice addition on the Maunsells.

• RMweb Gold

Actually I wish Hornby didn't print a gold line on that side either.

Going to the lengths they do with all the detail is spoiled a bit by putting the same picture of some rubbish curtains on everything! Even if you do manage to remove them they do seem to mark the glass a little :(.

With the corridor connectors they wouldn't misshape like this on the prototype when you have a big plate of steel on the ends.

No roof boards is a pity, they were a nice addition on the Maunsells.

The end frame on this sort of gangway was made up of steel strip sections, far less substantial than the platework on Pullman gangways although obviously a site more sunstantial than some sort of flexible plastic :D

And as far as I'm aware the Hawksworth stock never carried roofboards - certainly at least some vehicles seen in GW livery in photos haven't got them but have an arrangement similar to that on BR MkIs. And of course the problem with adding boards is that they might suit the locale of their layout for some folk but not suit many others, preferable I would have thought to add them if you want?

And as far as I'm aware the Hawksworth stock never carried roofboards - certainly at least some vehicles seen in GW livery in photos haven't got them but have an arrangement similar to that on BR MkIs. And of course the problem with adding boards is that they might suit the locale of their layout for some folk but not suit many others, preferable I would have thought to add them if you want?[/i]

Roofboards is probably not the best word when they are on the sides though it seems to be applied to mk1s in the same way. 'Coachboards' perhaps?

I didn't mean apply them to the coach in the factory but put them in the bag as per the Maunsell coaches so the modeller can fit them if they want. A lot easier than having to make some. Lots of coach sets carried them backwards too when not working a 'namer'.

I just thought it might be a standard detail Hornby would include after the Maunsell's.

Interesting info on the gangways, I hadn't looked at one closely and they looked like a plate, I think we'll agree though they shouldn't do what Hornby's do or extend as far! :)

Looking forward to the other types that I actually want arriving though I hope the brake 3rd is sans curtains.

Just found this photo on Ernie's site showing a chocolate and cream Hawkesworth on a very secondary service...:-

http://railwaysofcornwall.fotopic.net/p64054547.html

That's one of those converted to Slip coaches, hence the fancy livery, but following the end of slip working, these were used on local services in the Yeovil/Taunton area - every album of pictures from this part of the world seems to have one of these in the background. I wonder how straightforward the conversion might be...

Adam

EDIT: I seem to have overlapped with Larry there. Apologies for the duplication.

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Gold

Any close up photos for those of us that lives in the sticks.....:D

Here you go Larry, mine arrived this morning.

Personally I hate the curtains which spoil a really nice coach, so I shall run mine with them facing away so I cannot see them lol :lol:

Fantastic flush glazing.

post-7026-056973700 1284831200_thumb.jpg

post-7026-072055300 1284831203_thumb.jpg

post-7026-088954100 1284831205_thumb.jpg

post-7026-027887300 1284831209_thumb.jpg

post-7026-003170200 1284831211_thumb.jpg

post-7026-024087000 1284831213_thumb.jpg

post-7026-053495800 1284831215_thumb.jpg

post-7026-074202400 1284831198_thumb.jpg

post-7026-057428100 1284831194_thumb.jpg

And bits bags

post-7026-035773000 1284831217_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Personally I hate the curtains which spoil a really nice coach, so I shall run mine with them facing away so I cannot see them lol :lol:

Funny how not many people think of simple measures like that. I know what you mean though, Hornby do have this unfortunate occasional habit of spoiling an excellent model with one ill-considered detail

Looking at one in my LMS yesterday, we did float the idea of a careful wash applied from the inside, to show through the off-white and tone them down. I also wonder if a shim of thickish Plasticard fitted inside the gangways would straighten them up a bit.

If anybody now posts 'it's a thirty quid coach, you shouldnt have to', I *will* screamtongue.gif