georgeT's (Weathering)

Thanks for the good reply lads, how l did it was, mix humbrol matt black (33) add a little humbrol gunmetal (53) then spray all over, then mix humbrol (63) leather with a little humbrol dark brown (113) for the brake dust etc, then when all dried l sprayed humbrol matt black (33) only on the top, more work to follow, hope this helps......cheers georgeT

That's all looking very promising indeed!

But may I make a suggestion? I think you need to remove a lot of the weathering and build it up in layers as it'll help added shadows and it'll really enhance things especially with the wagons. I've just put something about it on my blog - http://eastmoor.blogspot.com/2010/06/contrasts.html

However the effects on the steam locos work very well and give a nice grimy look :D

• 1 year later...

l have just got out my stock after a long break from weathering my '00' stock, and l am wondering what more l can do to make the loco's and wagon's look even better, any comment's would be much appreciated...............

Morning George, must have missed this first time round. Good stuff, you've not overdone it :good_mini:

As to the wagons, my first observation would be that the 'brake dust' overspraying is a tad uniform, they're a sort of better version of factory weathering if you know what I mean. I'd think about some brush work now, running some sort of dark mix into plank detail on the vans, a pseudo-wood effect inside the opens and possibly a darker wash on some areas of the underframes to tone them down and give tonal variation; you could also add small oil deposits around axlebox bottoms and brake clutches. Have a look at the traditional galleries on Paul Bartlett's Zenfolio site for some detail painting ideas, the period is mainly 1970s but that sort of thing is still valid. There are also four wagon weathering pages on my Wordpress blog, link below.

As to the locos, they look pretty good if again a bit uniform. Maybe again some darker washed areas or rusty bits, dependent on period and the amount of decrepitude you're after, but again work from photos rather than imagination - there are several good late steam galleries linked to from my blog. I wont say too much more about those though as it's years since I've weathered a kettle and there are others better qualified to comment from experience.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Pennine ... 34002 (the place of my birth incidentally - nice choice ;) ) for instance looks a little too even, remember weathering is an ongoing process. Locos are washed not just by soapy yard brush and oily cloth but by the elements too. Rainwater would wash a great deal of crud down the sides, being slab sided and green this does glare a bit. If some of the weathering was removed using a cotton a cotton soaked in the appropriate thinner (try it out on an old body or piece of scrap first) it would lead to a more realistic appearance. Further dustings may then be applied. Use a photograph for guidance there are plenty available. Also there are many threads on the subject of weathering (books too) and they are certainly all worth a glance (even the bad ones - you can learn from others mistakes :scratchhead: )

• 1 month later...

i would say thats just about perfect, i would be very happy if i got that result.

on the wagons i certainly wouldn't do to much to the bodies.

maybe a bit a of rust and oil stains on the chasis?

but i would certainly assemble a rake, run them around a bit, and see what they look like on the layout, before taking the plunge and doing a bit more.

31862 ...is an N or N1? cracking model

i think, they look great as they are :)

I think they look nice. Don't forget you are effectively seeing a model 76 times further away than it appears due to the scale, so a lot of the weathering will appear smoothed. Be guided by full size pics, but I lie your stock as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to weather a kit built loco,First a coat of mat varnish to seal the paint .Upps I used high gloss when dry I liked the look that much I had a rethink it makes the detail stand out more the loco stands out more.Sorry no more weathering for me,I am going the other way.High gloss,every one to his own .Then . I am making a train set not a definate model in time.Everything within the track confines is BR out side I have a liliput village a HO ski slope ,shrecks castle I better not say any more.Just have fun and enjoy the hobby.

• 10 months later...

Hi,  Been away from doing any weathering at the moment, but it's a case of you either love it or hate it, the choice is your's, l prefer a light dusting in many case's but sometime's you just can't stop....

George..

You have to be careful not to overdo weathering and knowing when to stop is as much a skill to learn as the application of the paint. I personally like a pretty light weathering myself but with plenty of false shadow technique and focus on detail. Its about how you apply it really rather than the amount you put on.

Cav

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

All my 'OO' stock was done with a badger airbrush, so with my 'O' gauge l have used weathering powders for the first time all l have applied is the coal dust, will add further colours as l go, must say they are a lot easier to put on than the airbrush, mainly there are no fumes or smell, no cleaning the airbrush a plus in my book........

GeorgeT 

post-7716-0-38637900-1379410198_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-62063000-1379410206_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-93322400-1379410213_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-14375200-1379410227_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-10236200-1379410232_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-05998900-1379410244_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-59291100-1379410258_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-35920500-1379410275_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-37004700-1379410280_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-39544900-1379410293_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...