Liverpool Overhead Railway - Building Judith Edges "Modernised" Stock in P4

Isn’t there a preserved on at the Liverpool museum?  As the worlds smallest scale model railway layout which has the whole of the LOR in 10m or so.

52426CC2-0983-4B33-8818-3C5058370A5D.jpeg.b0d522692b6ad66c623c1791d563ed92.jpeg

My phone photo from August this year with Lion / Titfield Thunderbolt in front.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Isn’t there a preserved on at the Liverpool museum?  As the worlds smallest scale model railway layout which has the whole of the LOR in 10m or so.

There is - but it is a motor car in original condition whilst Down Under's model is one of the modernized units of which the ex Steamport centre car is the only survivor. Whilst there the vehicle contained a museum dedicated to the LOR and was manned by Charles Box author of the LOR book mentioned above and son of the LOR's last general manager.  What Charlie didn't know about the LOR wasn't worth knowing.

FWIW I worked in the "grime and decay" of the erstwhile Steamport from 1973 to 1988 (including 7 yrs. as a director) an am pretty sure that it was an ex L&Y shed.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5
  • Like 1

I think I only ever went in it once and it was full of signalling equipment and diagrams. Things like colour light signals.

I do remember when we had a shunt to get something else out* and it was a case of was it going to fall off the bogies!

*It might have been Peckett No5 when it was being returned to steam and was ISTR right at the end of the shed road.

Jason

23 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

There is - but it is a motor car in original condition whilst Down Under's model is one of the modernized units of which the ex Steamport centre car is the only survivor. Whilst there the vehicle contained a museum dedicated to the LOR and was manned by Charles Box author of the LOR book mentioned above and son of the LOR's last general manager.  What Charlie didn't know about the LOR wasn't worth knowing.

FWIW I worked in the "grime and decay" of the erstwhile Steamport from 1973 to 1988 (including 7 yrs. as a director) an am pretty sure that it was an ex L&Y shed.

Ray.

Ray thanks for the correction. My first visit to Steamport was in 1996. At that time the old coal yards and overflow excursion platforms were still there, pacers nodding past every hour or so on the way to Wigan Wallgate. I vividly remember being allowed up on the footplate on a small blue industrial steam loco while it went up and down the yard and pulling levers in the signal box. The rusting ex-barry hulk out the back. Looking back it is a shame that is was allowed to be bowled over after all the work that had been put into it. 

Edited by Down_Under

To be honest, by 1996, Steamport was on its last legs and it was a pity that you didn't see it a few years earlier.  Faced with having to spend a huge amount on the life expired shed roof combined with falling gate receipts we had little choice but to accept a most generous offer from a property developer and relocate to Preston Docklands. It was a shame to lose the last L&Y steam shed but, looking back, it was probably the best thing we ever did. Re-establishing ourselves as Ribble Steam Railway https://ribblesteam.org.uk/ with modern facilities and a regular income from operating  both passenger trains and commercial freight it has been a resounding success.  Looking forward to seeing your finished LOR train.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Are you going to use the JudithEdge etches for the LOR structureas well?

Baz

Sure am Baz. I got a good deal on EBay a while back for some partially built examples, that also included some unbuilt sections. Mike kindly supplied the drawings so that I can figure out the assembly of the remaining b

pieces.

Should manage a bit more this evening 

5BA5B9AE-3ECA-4C46-8A8E-AC81BE54E257.jpeg

• Like 4

While I have a think about how to fill the slight gap between the can front panel and body side, without unsoldering everything (low melt + heat sink?). I started on the underframe.

The Undergubbins- Details are sketchy and most photos are just a black shadow. But that said, there needs to be a air brake actuation cylinder, some push rods, air receiver queen posts and truss rods. Also noted in some images are some square transformer like boxes at one end. The LOR are all air braked, having a large reservoir that stored the air for the brake system, enough for several trips. This was charged at the end of a run by external sources.  

The only image of the layout is one that appears in CE Box’s book of one of the very first units. The units did and where modified over the years, so this is at best a guide, which is what I have used. For example, is the large air reservoir under both driving motor units or just one end? If anyone has any pictures, please post or send me a PM! 

For the air reservoirs, I started with 7mm OD brass tube that is 35mm in length. 10thou (0.25mm) brass strip for strapping. Queen posts laminated from 0.4mm brass scrap etch and fashioned to 34mm x 3mm x 1.2mm.

31E13260-C0A7-4557-9AB2-49494D796CF9.jpeg

2C5A9AEA-9105-4857-A0F8-655E5D2D2436.jpeg

6B39C5A8-AC7F-4D70-8A4A-A7DAE5B1F686.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We do some of the underframe gubbins for the other LOR kit, the 40ft motor coach stock. This was actually designed as a kit, the rebuilds were done a long time ago, before we started the kit business which is why they are a bit basic. Very little of this stuff is really visible, especially when running on the overhead. There are some drawings of LOR stock in the NRM collection (not the rebuilds though - apart from one sketch), they aren't all consistent with each other or the GA in the books, it's all a bit of a minefield.

The rebuilds were done at Seaforth, one train at a time, I don't think any two were exactly alike,possibly they just made it uo as they went along. Incidentally the scousers referred to these rebuilt trains as "streamliners".....