RMweb

Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

Guest Max Stafford

Really?

Cos according to Wiki they didn't...

And you trust the infallibilty of Wikipedia?

I can't comment on the veracity of your second source but I wouldn't trust Wiki as a reliable source, Charlie. It's the on-line equivalent of 'a bloke down the pub'...! ;)

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

Your best source for this type of info is Yeadon's or the RCTS 'green books'.

Those are pretty exhaustively researched and therefore the most reliable references.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Well the Wiki entry quote's an Ian Allen book and the LNER Encyclopedia and the Rail UK websites for there numbers so depends if you trust them really. And a pic of a LNER L1 that's not 9000 would be good too!

The 1947 edition of the LNER ABC, subtitled 'Renumbering Edition' quotes the L1 as 9000 however the original(?) owner of the book altered that number to 7700 at some time.

• RMweb Premium

The RCTS 'green book' Bible part 9A states that nos. 67701-67716 were originally numbered thus: 9000-9003, E9004-E9012, 69013-69015. All were renumbered into the 677xx series between April and July 1948, and subsequent members of the class bore numbers in the 677xx series from new. 9000 was turned out in LNER green livery, initially lettered 'NE', but then repainted in 1946 with 'LNER' in shaded characters. 9001/2/3 were painted similarly, but with unshaded characters. E9004-12 were turned out in LNER green livery but lettered 'British Railways', as were 677017-22. 67723 upwards appeared in BR lined black livery from new, and the others were subsequently repainted to match. Several photos in said publication prove this (I don't think the internet was around at the time ;) ), as do pictures in other publications, e.g. (to name but one) 'Locomotives Illustrated' no. 120.

The RCTS 'green book' Bible part 9A states that nos. 67701-67716 were originally numbered thus: 9000-9003, E9004-E9012, 69013-69015. All were renumbered into the 677xx series between April and July 1948, and subsequent members of the class bore numbers in the 677xx series from new. 9000 was turned out in LNER green livery, initially lettered 'NE', but then repainted in 1946 with 'LNER' in shaded characters. 9001/2/3 were painted similarly, but with unshaded characters. E9004-12 were turned out in LNER green livery but lettered 'British Railways', as were 677017-22. 67723 upwards appeared in BR lined black livery from new, and the others were subsequently repainted to match. Several photos in said publication prove this (I don't think the internet was around at the time ;) ), as do pictures in other publications, e.g. (to name but one) 'Locomotives Illustrated' no. 120.

Excellent summation of the situation, thankyou.

I wonder when Hornby will produce a stepped-frame black BR version?

Rob

Well I wasn't getting an L1 at all but saw the LNER liveried on today and snapped it up. A truly great model of an idea model railway engine! Not a glamourous express engine but a more everyday workhorse.

Hornby now have images of the BR Black L1s...time to froth!!!!! :O :D

r2913-7125.jpg

r2914-7131.jpg

images copyright of Hornby

Oh gorgeous !! Especially the Lion on his Unicycle version; I recall seeing one at Grantham in 1950's - where the GN, GE and M&GN Joint met - so I must have it.

Okay so I model 1/45th scale Switzerland but it will go with my other wimsical purchase, a Hornby B17 called 'L--ds' -n-t-d' :(

Bob

Guest TomTank

Yikes, the early BR emblem engine is the NB split-frame version. I wonder if the smokebox door is a different moulding... I didnt expect it so soon.

Heck, I hadn't noticed that either Coach,

I'm noticing the cab differences too! :blink:

well done Hornby :D

I agree. Amazing what a difference those substancial front steps make. The NB loco looks more solidly built....

I'm resigning myself to a 'funny hour'....:lol:

Perhaps the early crest loco 67772 front steps will be kinder to type 2 or 3 radius curves too!

I think the early crest nominally 67772 is a Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn loco, My 'British Railways Steam Locomotives 1948-1968' by Hugh Longworth gives 67701 Doncaster, 67702-67730 Darlington, 67731-67765 North British, 67766-67800 Stephenson Hawthorn. The book gives no differences in weight for the different builders, but 4 locos 67770-1-2, 6, 9, had slightly smaller cylinders (18 3/4" down from 20") from 1954-on, and 5 locos 67747, 53, 61, 95, 98, had boiler pressure reduced from 225lb to 200lb. All withdrawn by the end of 1962.

Not that it makes much difference to what looks to be a stunning model!

Rob

Oh gorgeous !! Especially the Lion on his Unicycle version; I recall seeing one at Grantham in 1950's - where the GN, GE and M&GN Joint met - so I must have it.

Okay so I model 1/45th scale Switzerland but it will go with my other wimsical purchase, a Hornby B17 called 'L--ds' -n-t-d' :(

Bob

Not Grantham I'm afraid, GE & M&GN both south of there, only place that comes to my mind is Spalding where all three could be seen, don't think the GE actually got there either except as a joint line partner, although I have seen photos of GE freight locos working through there, maybe from Whitemoor yard. Incidentally that line is still known as 'the joint'

There were definitely lots of them to be seen at Grantham though, some were shedded there and Colwick at one time or another had, I think, about 30% of the class total, mostly the contractor built ones with the split frames

• RMweb Premium

Not Grantham I'm afraid, GE & M&GN both south of there, only place that comes to my mind is Spalding where all three could be seen, don't think the GE actually got there either except as a joint line partner, although I have seen photos of GE freight locos working through there, maybe from Whitemoor yard. Incidentally that line is still known as 'the joint'

There were definitely lots of them to be seen at Grantham though, some were shedded there and Colwick at one time or another had, I think, about 30% of the class total, mostly the contractor built ones with the split frames

I think this must be Peterborough ;) M &GN to South Lynn started there, as did a number of GE section trains. Spalding would also have seen M&GN and GE regularly though. Grantham had one or two L1's on and off, but they didn't really arrive there or at Colwick in large numbers until 1959 onwards. This I know, as I have been trying to justify having one at Peterborough in 1958. An afternoon local from Hitchin has solved the problem, but Peterborough- Grantham locals are also in the frame.