Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

The image of the early totem engine doesn't show full length cab doors with wings either side that were fitted to the whole class from June 1953 onwards. Interesting. The later totem loco has them fitted.

Ahhhh, sh+t!!! I will have to cancel my early crest pre-order, I need the "limousine" cab. Colwick had mainly the later contractor-built variety, but there was an open framer according to Yeadon! Seriously, the timeframe for the e/c version is quite limited.

Cheers, Peter C.

Ahhhh, sh+t!!! I will have to cancel my early crest pre-order, I need the "limousine" cab. Colwick had mainly the later contractor-built variety, but there was an open framer according to Yeadon! Seriously, the timeframe for the e/c version is quite limited.

Cheers, Peter C.

According to the RCTS the first "limousine" doors were fitted in 1953/54. General fitting began in February 1955 and was completed in January 1960. Early emblems were still common in the late 50s. So the timeframe could be up to 10 years.

Roger

Guest Max Stafford

I'm struggling to find any photos of the NE region machines. I think there were a couple at Darlington or thereabouts. Does anybody know for sure?

Dave.

I'm struggling to find any photos of the NE region machines. I think there were a couple at Darlington or thereabouts. Does anybody know for sure?

Dave.

British Railway Steam Locomotive Allocations 1948-1968' by Jim Grindlay Modelmaster Publications lists 10 L1s at Darlington or Hull area pretty much throughout their lives;

Sheds in 1952 1955 1959

67442, 51A 51A 51A

67550, 51A 51A 51A

67754, 51A 53B 51E

67755, 53B 53B 51A

67759, 53B 53B 51L

67763, 53B 53B 51A

67764, 53B 53B 51L

67765, 53B 53B 51C

67766, 53B 53B 51E

67777, 51A 51A 51A

All the others were;

predominantly Stratford 67721-67739

predominantly Kings Cross/various KX sub sheds, 67743-67800 with exceptions as in the first list and some KX locos throughout the number series 67701-67800....

or Norwich Yarmouth Ipswich where many of the first locos 67701-67721 worked, also a few later numbers on ex-GE sheds.

A very few went astray ? around 1959 with about 7 at 9G Northwich and a couple at 40A Lincoln and others at 40E Colwick (this latter being 67753/58/88/99)

Hope this helps, there are exceptions here and there, like three 2F entries for 1959 67740/71/89 (Bescot?)

Rob

Dave.

Dave, going from the allocations Rob has listed above, here's a nice picture of 67763. Fotopic also has another photo of 67763, and one of 67764, but it's being silly at the moment and won't show them :angry: . There's also one of 67742, but it looks like a works photo. ( I actually think I remember that photo of 67742 being on the back of a cereal box - Corn Flakes? does anyone else remember?).

According to the RCTS the first "limousine" doors were fitted in 1953/54. General fitting began in February 1955 and was completed in January 1960. Early emblems were still common in the late 50s. So the time frame could be up to 10 years.

Roger

Thanks Roger, Yeadon has the more vague "sometime in 1957" for the last fitting, whereas the RCTS Jan.1960 sounds more authoritative, so I'll go with that!

Colwick received 67727 from 21/2/60, so that gives me an full-framer, all looking close enough!! :lol:

Kiwi Rob, 2F was Woodford Halse at this time, L1's had some freight turns from here.

Max Stafford, not sure of your time frame but if you want something a little different 67742 ran for a couple of years with the large early crest,Darlington-based, looks good too!

cheers all,

Peter C.

Hi Peter C / Kiwi Rob,

Those Woodford Halse L1s may also have worked the local passenger service to Banbury, and the 2F shedcode relates to the period when Woodford shed came under Rugby's wing. Laurence Waters book 'Last Years of Steam Paddington - Wolverhampton' has a couple of nice L1 photos... 67800 in the Aylesbury bay at Princes Risborough wearing a 34A shedplate on 13/8/55, and 67778 at Beaconsfield on a Marylebone - High Wycombe service (undated but with late crest).

Not tempted by this wonderful model at all, not one bit. No sir. Honest.... :rolleyes:

Nidge ;)

Not tempted by this wonderful model at all, not one bit. No sir. Honest.... :rolleyes:

But if you were - how many people know about the 2-6-4T Locomotive Exchanges of 1950? :(

These were held to ascertain which 2-6-4T's of all the - then modern - designs around would be most suitable

for replacing ancient 0-4-4T's and the like on branch line and suburban services. Gives one a great excuse to run L1's as well as Stanier and Fairburn tanks well outside their usual stomping grounds

L1's were deemed especially useful for empty stock work from Waterloo as I understand

It is said that this intelligent use of available motive power even saved BR from building another couple of hundred Standard 4 tanks :lol:

and not even posted on April 1st

Norm

Hi Peter C / Kiwi Rob,

Those Woodford Halse L1s may also have worked the local passenger service to Banbury, and the 2F shedcode relates to the period when Woodford shed came under Rugby's wing. Laurence Waters book 'Last Years of Steam Paddington - Wolverhampton' has a couple of nice L1 photos... 67800 in the Aylesbury bay at Princes Risborough wearing a 34A shedplate on 13/8/55, and 67778 at Beaconsfield on a Marylebone - High Wycombe service (undated but with late crest).

Nidge ;)

Thankyou Nidge, and Peter, these locos can go almost anywhere. Well, maybe not North Wales, the Withered Arm or Evercreech Junction, but with Bachmann's GCR 2-8-0 and the L1 doing all the work which mattered.... Does anyone have any anecdotal stuff about what it was like to drive, fire and maintain L1s?

Rob

Guest TomTank

From all accounts I have read they weren't as successful as hoped, and I know they had the nick name 'cement mixers'..... How did they pick this name up?

Does anyone have any anecdotal stuff about what it was like to drive, fire and maintain L1s?

Rob

According to accounts that I have read. Very drafty. That's why they had to alter the cab. The story goes that they copied an LMS idea. Forum rules forbid me to comment on what I have heard re the maintainance side of things. Rather difficult to keep 'em running would I think be a good summary. I have also heard that in some locations they were replaced by the Fairburn tanks on the harder duties. Not the greatest loco ever built but I like the chunky look of the things. As they seemed to get all over the place, in particular on parcels trains, no excuse is needed to run one. Quite often the machine was not a local one. A Neasden loco 67783 on a Carlisle - Newcastle train is an example quoted in the RCTS green book.

Bernard

From all accounts I have read they weren't as successful as hoped, and I know they had the nick name 'cement mixers'..... How did they pick this name up?

Also 'Concrete mixers'. Have you ever heard a cement or condrete mixer in action? Crash, thump, grate, bang, wallop... Thats what they sounded like.

.... Does anyone have any anecdotal stuff about what it was like to drive, fire and maintain L1s?

There is a very good description of the considerable maintenance burden they imposed from the perspective of an experienced shedmaster, one Bill Harvey, in his 'Sixty Years in Steam'. A summary sentence covers it: "these new tank engines (the L1)...giving as much and more trouble to maintain as the 38 year old locomotives (GCR design A5) they were replacing". He gives a nice catalogue of their failings, mostly driving axle bearings on the mechanical side, and a tendency for the side tanks to leak due to the welded seams splitting, from the rough ride.

Thankyou Bernard, I greatly enjoy hearing about the 'real' side of things, as a schoolboy I used to hang around NZ steam sheds in the earlly 1960s albeit I had Hornby Dublo at home...

In view of this might I be permitted to offer this link to an excellent montage of photos of real 1960s steam..? Plenty of material for weathering and general atmosphere, being around Wolverhampton

Not entirely about L1s, (and turning the sound down or off may help.) The large shed atmosphere was certainly something like L1 territory. The reputation for difficult maintenance and roughness is something I've heard, but I hesitate to speculate on why it arose except to add that B1s and other Thompson locos were variable in ride and such as steaming. (but then so were all other 'common' locos of the day)...

Rob

[bill Harvey, in his 'Sixty Years in Steam'. A summary sentence covers it: "these new tank engines (the L1)...giving as much and more trouble to maintain as the 38 year old locomotives (GCR design A5) they were replacing". He gives a nice catalogue of their failings, mostly driving axle bearings on the mechanical side, and a tendency for the side tanks to leak due to the welded seams splitting, from the rough ride]

Ahh. Sounds like the kind of things which happened to British cars of the era! <g> Maybe Thompson and some Stanier designs were used by Austin... Wolseley and others which were rather under-bearinged.. (try that in Microsoft spell checker!)

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of an L1 in BR Apple Green, superb little model!

The detail is fantastic, partically the Cab detail!

Hornby, you have done a brillant job of capturing the look of this small, but perfectly formed engine!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

L1's regularly worked from Woodford to Banbury, I believe there were four locos that regularly did the run, I will look them up and post the numbers.

67716-9+67789 all worked between Banbury and Woodford Halse, Also GC Atlantics, Dierctors and V1s worked between Banbury and Woodford.

Are you sure about this? The numbers given in Jim Grindlay's Modelmaster Publications 'British Railways Steam Locomotive Allocations 1948-1968' Part 4 60001-69999 gives the following for shed 2F 1959 Woodford Halse; 67740, 67771, 67789.

But of course many were under ex-GC Rugby aegis? Anyway the above book gives 67716-9 for 1959 the shedcodes 32B 32A 30A 32B respectively, no mention of transfers etc. Anyway I mention it out of curiosity.

Cheers, Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob

I am not an expert on these things I am just looking for an excuse (as if one was needed) to include the L1 on my layout based in North Oxfordshire, In the History of the Railways of Oxfordshire Part 1: The North by Bill Simpson there is a photo of 67789 leaving Banbury on the 12.18 for Woodford (p22). In the same publication on page 132 Eddie Smith, Fireman and Driver from Woodford Halse recounts driving L1s 67716-9 amongst other GC/LNER locos on the shuttle between Woordford Halse and Banbury. I quote from the book and have no reason to believe that driver Smith is mistaken. Hope this helps.

I should have said V2s not V1s but I believe V1s and indeed A3s worked the Port to Port but were changed before Banbury for a GW loco. on their Southward journey.

Has anyone tried to renumber 67717?

To turn the Hornby model into a GE loco, I need to renumber the loco as 67710, which was for a time allocated to Ipswich and changing the 7 to a 0 appeared a simple task.

However, the HMRS transfers do not match the cab-side number by Hornby, either in height or width of the number and nor does the sheet include the buffer beam style of number.

I have looked at both Fox and Modelmaster web sites and e-mail mailed both firms (no response so far) to try and establish if the numbers they produce match those by Hornby. (i.e. cab side numbers are Gil Sans 4mm high and buffer beam numbers 2mm high).

Any help much appriciated.

Regards

Paul