Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Spot on there, Rob! What the photo doesn't show as well, is that 67722 has 4 rows of exposed rivets across its cab roof, which are absent on 67772 - presumably this varied depending on where the locos were built?

Looking at the picture again, does anyone think the sliding cab roof ventilators are a bit thick? I may consider replacing them with thin metal (non-sliding) ones; in reality they appear almost flush with the cab roofs.

Thanks for you kind remark Mr. Cutler, :D I'd like it to be in a magazine, but need to get the rest of it up to a presentable standard first!

I am simply amazed by the level of detail Hornby have acheived with this series of L1 models.

Today I have unpacked Britannia 70010 'Owen Glendower' and test-run it. Perfect running, all sorts of details already fitted by the factory, firebox area plumbing a little too brightly painted but out with the dilute black ash-coloured dry brush... and the coal etc to go on. Should look the part with red and cream Mk1s

For what it's worth the loco was purchased (Liverpool) on 15 December just in time to be held up by bad weather, but arrived here in NZ on 29 December, not too shabby a present on my 60th birthday! Together with a weathered Fowler S&D 2-8-0.

As to the L1 photo, I like the weathering, and especially the figure on the platform. It's nice to see such relatively stationary and little-modelled human 'stance'. The roof ventilators look right to me, but photos of prototypes in different light be a better way to judge?

Rob

Well ran my L1 for the first time today and even at speed I didn't have the derailing problems that others seem to, kept a close eye on things too just in case. One thing I did notice was a few strange sounds from the motor, one almost as if the fly wheel was rubbing when it slowed down. Anyone else have this issue?

I have an issue now: where's the flywheel on mine? ;)

It sounds as though the actual running is satisfactory. Just give it a little running forward and reverse for an hour or so and it will probably settle down to quiet operation. Mine made slightly grumbly noises in reverse at first, though running smoothly enough, and is now very quiet indeed. Usually caused by things like lubricant that has to be distributed around the gears, or pick up wipers needing to polish up their contact track..

Believe me, once you have fitted a sound chip and factored in the exhaust beat, the clanking of rods when pulling and coasting, the sound of the big ends and coupled axle boxes knocking like a demented cement mixer, and ramped up the volume, you should not hear any grumbly noises from the motor......:D

Hokay, dealing with that sloppily mounted pony truck. With the chassis dismantled it is evident that the pony truck frame is too short to be simply drilled for a single pivot point, if the end result is to go round the 30" minimum radius in my loco yard, without further carving of the cylinder fronts. Could araldite an extension onto the truck frame, but an easier (and better looking) solution involving a spare truck from a K3 (reworked as an 0-6-0 chassis) looks like being the way forward. Should be able to use the plate spring that comes with this truck too, and the pivot point falls happily on the keeper plate which will make fabricating a boss for it to pivot on relatively easy.

• RMweb Gold

Have just been looking at the reprint of the Winter 1955/56 edition of the British Railways Locomotives Combined Volume and see that 67717 was shedded at 32C Lowestoft at that time.

My Grandad (the one who got me into trains B) ) was a fitter at Lowestoft Shed in the 1950's so I think it's a dead cert that he may have done some work on 67717. With this in mind I just have to have this loco...and contact was made with The HobbyShop at Faversham :rolleyes: :lol:

Would, by any chance, anyone here have any idea when 67717 would have been repainted from green to black? Have googled 67717 but nothing comes up about this particular L1 - although there was information about about another L1.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Would, by any chance, anyone here have any idea when 67717 would have been repainted from green to black? Have googled 67717 but nothing comes up about this particular L1 - although there was information about about another L1.

Keith

A quick look in the RCTS Green Book states painted black at first overhaul but does not give a date. Not a lot of help but it will save any one else checking that source.

Bernard

• Like 1

A quick look in the RCTS Green Book states painted black at first overhaul but does not give a date. Not a lot of help but it will save any one else checking that source.

Bernard

According to Yeadon 67717 had it's first general repair completed in August 1950, when the boiler was renumbered. It had had two non-clssified and a light casual before that, which probably wouldn't have involved repainting.

It's next general repair was completed in march 1952, when it received the boiler formerly on 67749 which was delivered in black, so March '52 would be the latest repainting date.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A quick look in the RCTS Green Book states painted black at first overhaul but does not give a date. Not a lot of help but it will save any one else checking that source.Bernard

According to Yeadon 67717 had it's first general repair completed in August 1950, when the boiler was renumbered. It had had two non-clssified and a light casual before that, which probably wouldn't have involved repainting.It's next general repair was completed in march 1952, when it received the boiler formerly on 67749 which was delivered in black, so March '52 would be the latest repainting date.

Many thanks, guys, for your answers above. Your help is much appreciated.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Oh now I have to choose between a lined black or BR apple green one, why can't I afford both! :( Now which were the locos allocated to the Whitby and York areas, that could be the decider.

I have a picture of 67763 at Whitby West Cliff. I have just received my Hornby L1 which I need to renumber.........

Cheers,

Trevor Elliot,

Bellingham WA USA

post-9635-0-92773300-1296253475_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see the BR Late Crest (weathered) version shown on the Hornby web site for release later this year is 67759. In my trusty 1959 Locoshed book, this one is shown as 51L (Thornaby), so could have been a candidate for working to Whitby from Middlesbrough.

It has taken a while to succumb to this model, however some spare birthday cash let me invest in 67717, and whilst my current indifference towards Hornby continues, I must admit that as Brucie would say, 'this is my favourite'.

It runs like a (quiet) sewing machine and to date has not had front bogie derailing issues (although the rear bogie tends to derail when pushing in reverse with significant loads through curves).

Why-o-why-o-why did Hornby choose to create more duplicates when there are many many pretty (and small) locos yet to be modelled which could be recreated to this standard.

N

I see the BR Late Crest (weathered) version shown on the Hornby web site for release later this year is 67759. In my trusty 1959 Locoshed book, this one is shown as 51L (Thornaby), so could have been a candidate for working to Whitby from Middlesbrough.

Thanks for that info, I hadn't looked at the website - my 'economy drive' can continue for a bit longer without the railway suffering!

Indeed this will be a nice model, and I presume would go well with the new suburban carriages. I'm wondering when L1s took over from presumably A8s or A5s on the coastal lines?

Rob

• 6 months later...

I see the BR Late Crest (weathered) version shown on the Hornby web site for release later this year is 67759. In my trusty 1959 Locoshed book, this one is shown as 51L (Thornaby), ...

It is now available, and leapt into my hands from the delivery box in the local model shop.

Decent weathering: only a single pass of grey brown as a light film on the running gear, and a slight dusting on the lower tank sides: looks like a recently ex-works and cleaned loco that's done a couple of fast trips in dry summer conditions, and a good basis for further treatment in the fulness of time.

Running just exquisite. Silent, all you hear is the clickety click of the wheels on rail joints, and would crawl unbelievably slowly on a plain resistance DC controller. (Sorry Hornby, that's grossly unrealistic!)

So all is rosy, almost. My dear wife took one look and "Oh good, that's your Christmas present taken care of"...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the review, 34B/D!

From the pictures on Hattons web site it appears they've covered another variation not previously offered - split running plate, but full height cab doors.

Given the weathered finish, how easy do you think it would be to renumber? It's a nice model and I wouldn't mind another one, but a Thornaby example doesn't suit me too well. Perhaps you'd end up with a semblance of a slightly dirty loco with a clean patch where the number's pinted on?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, that sounds encouraging - I feel another purchase coming on! :blush_mini:

Have to be careful with renumbering them though, with the plethora of detail permutations.

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I'm waiting for one of the GE-territory machines in the 67731-40 range which had the split footplate and Westinghouse equipment. But with Hornby's recent record of avoiding obvious new combinations in favour of churmning out more of the same, I'm not that optimistic.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the latest weathered addition 67759, a local loco to me so have waited for this one to be issued. It has to be one of the best models I have bought in a long while. Run superb straight from the box.

Only the bogie crabbing on the curves of concern. Even with 5ft radius curves it is visible. Someone previously had a fix with wire. Any chance of some pics? Seen the spring option but it is a little too visible for me.

• RMweb Premium

Bought one of the weathered ones from Monk Bar, York this morning - in fact they sold me the one from their display case, and said it was their last in stock. Have to say (like the other two I've got) it currently lives up to its 'Concrete Mixer' nickname, but expect it'll settle down after some running in - the others have.

The 'bag of bits' includes an object that looks suspiciously like an AWS battery box; I don't think the others had this, and the service sheet doesn't show it.

Neither can I see one on any pictures I've so far found of the real things, so does anyone know where it's supposed to go, please?