Hornby Thompson L1

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I've got a few of these now :blush: and none have shown any signs of derailing their pony trucks, although the wheels do run at a strange angle to the rails sometimes! But a friend bought one recently and said he'd had derailing problems, so I thought I'd revisit the problem and at least aim to make mine look better in running.

I looked back up to Wilk's post earlier in this thread, but couldn't find a suitable coil spring in my armoury; also bearing in mind Darwinian's suggestion in the 28xx thread, I hit upon an alternative solution which turned out to be very simple so I thought it might be useful to others:

post-31-0-82585900-1321194412_thumb.jpg

A piece of phospher bronze (or other suitable) spring wire, with a loop in one end, a vertical joggle to pass through the hole in the pony truck swing arm, and tucked between the tails of the tension lock coupling.

post-31-0-56159300-1321194452_thumb.jpg

The leading keeper plate retaining screw passes through the loop in the end of the wire and clamps it tightly to the keeper plate (yes, I did manage to break the end off the brake yolk :mad: ).

post-31-0-21750700-1321194476.jpg

Two locos in similar positions. 67772 (left) is unmodified, 67757 (as she now is) modified. They were both driven forwards and stopped when they reached the equivalent positions on the slip points - you can see how 67772's coupling has swung right over, while 67757's remains resonably central. The pony now seems to 'lead' the loco smoothly into curves, and the wheels no longer give an alarming gymnastic display through the pointwork.

Hope this might help! :good_mini:

Edited by 31A
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

While operating today, the sunlight showed a distinct gap between the 'coal' and the bunker. (Perhaps it is the seasonal coolth and the moulded 'coal' has shrunk?) Whatever, slipped a scalpel blade into the gap, and with a little working around both sides and rear it hinged up and popped out; at the cab end of the bunker it cannot rise much as the tank overflows retain it. Leaves a 9mm deep cuboid void for rusting, coal dust, and some of the real stuff.

Having thought until now that the 'coal' was moulded in, that is my one very minor quibble about the model's general appearance wiped away.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The first 39 L1s (67701-39) had Westinghouse brakes. 67701-30 had the curved front footplate, 67731-800 the split front footplate. I think I'm right in saying that Hornby has released three versions with Westingouse brakes and curved front footplate and two without the Westinghouse brakes and with the split front footplate. I know there's been no release of a Westinghouse loco with split front footplate (67731-9) because that's what I'm waiting for!

• 1 year later...

..without a J15 or Claud...? I think not!

Stewart

Stewart

Anyone modelling East Anglia railways even in the early BR days, say c1955, needs about 60% of their loco fleet to be of GER design/built. At Cambridge (31A) for example, of the 103 allocated the split was 69% GER, 17% LNER, 7% GCR, 4% LMSR and 3% NER. We need more than just a Claud and a J15!

Paul 

• Like 2

Stewart

Anyone modelling East Anglia railways even in the early BR days, say c1955, needs about 60% of their loco fleet to be of GER design/built. At Cambridge (31A) for example, of the 103 allocated the split was 69% GER, 17% LNER, 7% GCR, 4% LMSR and 3% NER. We need more than just a Claud and a J15!

Paul 

Must admit this was a toongue in cheek comment, based more on what I would now prefer to be released rtr! I have just about everything else now in my stud - and even have a couple of J15 kits, A d16/3 kit, and an almost completed Golden Arrow D16/3 conversion.

Stewart

I've got a few of these now :blush: and none have shown any signs of derailing their pony trucks, although the wheels do run at a strange angle to the rails sometimes! But a friend bought one recently and said he'd had derailing problems, so I thought I'd revisit the problem and at least aim to make mine look better in running.

I looked back up to Wilk's post earlier in this thread, but couldn't find a suitable coil spring in my armoury; also bearing in mind Darwinian's suggestion in the 28xx thread, I hit upon an alternative solution which turned out to be very simple so I thought it might be useful to others:

attachicon.gifIMG_2177.RMweb.JPG

A piece of phospher bronze (or other suitable) spring wire, with a loop in one end, a vertical joggle to pass through the hole in the pony truck swing arm, and tucked between the tails of the tension lock coupling.

attachicon.gifIMG_2176.RMweb.JPG

The leading keeper plate retaining screw passes through the loop in the end of the wire and clamps it tightly to the keeper plate (yes, I did manage to break the end off the brake yolk :mad: ).

attachicon.gifIMG_2174.RMweb.JPG

Two locos in similar positions. 67772 (left) is unmodified, 67757 (as she now is) modified. They were both driven forwards and stopped when they reached the equivalent positions on the slip points - you can see how 67772's coupling has swung right over, while 67757's remains resonably central. The pony now seems to 'lead' the loco smoothly into curves, and the wheels no longer give an alarming gymnastic display through the pointwork.

Hope this might help! :good_mini:

Thanks for sharing. I will resolve my two tonight. No derailing issues, just the crabbing a little. I'm sure it depends on the radius of curves.

..without a J15 or Claud...? I think not!

Stewart

Good suggestions...

Shunters? I have three already. That's two too many!

Only 1 ex-LNER though, the others are BR diesels.

Clauds... Well, I'm a 1962 BR/ER person, so don't get me started on that!

Q6... Hadn't thought about Q6s... Out of interest, any R2Rs out?

Edited by Jawfin

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Has anyone pictures of the layout of the rear of the L1 in this condtion please ?

Rear view pictures of L1s without electric lighting seem to be elusive, but I've just come across a picture of 67768 taken in May 1960, on page 55 of 'The book of the Great Northern', Part One (Peter Coster, Irwell Press, 2010).

The lamp irons are in the same positions as those on electrically-lit locos, with rectangular mounting plates beneath them where the electric lamps would normally be (with the lower centre one being big enough for two lamps), similar in pattern to the lamp irons on the front buffer beam.  However, there is no conduit linking them.  Otherwise, the rear of the bunker looks the same as the Hornby model.

I suppose there's no guarantee that 9002 was the same as this though, as I imagine it maybe wasn't envisaged that it would carry electric lighting when new?

Hope this helps!

I have now found a couple of pics as mentioned in the last post re layout. Thats good enough for me  !! .

Any suggestions re suitable castings for the pipework (no problem re modifying)  under the rear set of steps as mine being  rebuilt is also missing the steps/pipes on both sides. I have made some new steps but the pipework will more of a pain to recreate.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've finally found where the little box in the bag of bits goes (L/H side under the coal bunker) but still can't find any pictures to clear up what it is. Unfortunatly I can only find two pictures of the L1 in LNER colours, one on the box and one on LNER.info, and neither shed any light on the matter. Does anyone know of any pictures that may help?

• RMweb Premium

Well I've finally found where the little box in the bag of bits goes (L/H side under the coal bunker) but still can't find any pictures to clear up what it is. Unfortunatly I can only find two pictures of the L1 in LNER colours, one on the box and one on LNER.info, and neither shed any light on the matter. Does anyone know of any pictures that may help?

I believe it's the battery box for the BR AWS system, Charlie.  It won't have been fitted to any L1s until quite late in their lives.  I fitted it to one of mine, then found it fouled the bogie wheels on (relatively) sharp curves, so I took it off again.  I couldn't find many pictures which showed it on the real locos, and anyway the AWS system sometimes involved other visible additions (such as vacuum reservoirs on the running plate, as well as the receiver under the front buffer beam) and I couldn't verify whether or not L1s had any additional 'extras', so I was happy enough to leave it off.

• 5 months later...

The earliest L1 acquired for the layout just took a further step toward versimilitude. There was this rattling as it ran toward the carriage sidings, and on investigation the eccentric rod was trailing the expansion link along the ballast. Anyone who has read about the mechanical unreliability of the class will realise this is right in the ball park of prototype failures. Hornby, huge advance in modelling technique. (what else have they built in? Will a drive axle bearing fail? Too much to hope that they have found a way of simulating the tanks cracking and leaking.)

I like these sort of events, because it means extra loco movements to replace the failed rostered power. Normally I 'create' these events by drawing a card before a move, but happening for real is even better.

... and a broader selection of the numerous small six coupled locos especially. The real lack in LNER loco types is from the pre-group design inheritance of power class 3 and smaller designs. The N2 and J72 are dated but decent; the D11 and J11 are a good start toward a better selection, a few more like these and some small tank locos to current standard would be very welcome.

• 8 months later...

Time to ressurect an old thread with a question to help my curiosity....

Does anyone know with the smokebox door of the Hornby L1 comes off, or is it, as I suspect all one moulding and can't be removed?

Looking at it, I think its part of the moulding, rather than like the B1 where the door and face are changeable, as on the L1 theres no need to change the door - until now...

I suspect the door comes out, as the location is very subtly different on one of my three. But you cannot get inside the smokebox to give it a tap to see if it 'starts'; because there is a cryptically secured  - probably black tacked - ballast weight in the way. On all of mine this ballast weight is solidly in position, and I have not found a way to release it.

As some have mentioned the weight is sealed in with black tac. I have found that the smokebox door is indeed all part of the models main body as I expected... this being due to having returned from the pub last night, I felt compelled to do some modelling and decided that Id go in the front and take off the door. Will have to get it to the workbench thread I have sometime. In any case, got the answer.....