XC changes from 28/11/2021

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Ran to Birmingham but was an hour late after Newcastle so was terminated and restarted at Birmingham right time by the look of it.

I'm guessing related to the signalling failure between Dunbar and Berwick on the southbound line. The southbound Chieftain was running some 45 mins late by Newcastle.

On 01/12/2021 at 08:14, rodent279 said:

I don't have any concrete proof. I know it's a dispute, I guess it is possible they will return. I hope they do.

Given the downturn in traffic post-pandemic, I don't think it's an unreasonable statement though. 

I was speaking to some of the drivers yesterday and they confirmed what I thought, everyone signs either Voyagers or 170s but only a few sign HSTs so it would be much more likely to end up with no driver for an HST if someone went sick at the last minute. So logic dictates that it's best to take them out of service until RDW returns (it's not a dispute, btw, the drivers are simply not working RDs and sticking to their contracts). So any rumours that HSTs will not come back are just that, rumours, and not based on any facts.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Riding a Voyager this morning, Manchester to Birmingham. First time on XC or a Voyager since 23 December 2019! So far so good, we'll see what the return brings. At least I have an alternative way back via LNWR / Avanti.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hobby said:

If it's a double set try to get yourself in the G to L set!

Only had a 3 minute connection at MAN so had to jump in back end. 1st in that set quiet but quite a good load by Birmingham. 

Afternoon is a different story. Three of the busiest northbound trains of the week are single 5-car sets. My alternative is running late so just making the best of it trainhopping to make sure I get home at a reasonable time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Well I'll be on 1V54 later, and can see from RTT that I've got 221136 to look forward to. Maybe next time I travel to Brum the HST's will be back.

221136 was wedged. Stood all the way to Cheltenham, which wasn't half as bad as some passengers made out. Managed to grab a seat from there to Brizzle

• RMweb Gold

Many trains around Birmingham and Manchester absolutely stuffed this afternoon. Cancellations and late running on WM, LNWR and Avanti not helping matters. I haven't seen the like of it since the trains with six Mk2 behind a 47 were replaced by 4-car Voyagers before the Operation Princess TT changes. 

On 28/11/2021 at 16:36, brushman47544 said:

That’s an awful lot of changes for what previously would have been possible with a maximum of one change in either direction.

No, I think generally speaking it would have been two changes in each direction at least in recent years as Cross Country services serve Plymouth rather than Torquay, and XC does not serve Crewe. So normally three trains each way, with the only extra change being due to the failed 221.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

No, I think generally speaking it would have been two changes in each direction at least in recent years as Cross Country services serve Plymouth rather than Torquay, and XC does not serve Crewe. So normally three trains each way, with the only extra change being due to the failed 221.

True. A couple of years ago it would have required changes at Newton Abbot and Stafford. But Manchester trains are now fewer and further between from the SW, it seems. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But Manchester trains are now fewer and further between from the SW, it seems. 

About 18 months and counting since the last regular one. Today's fare on XC to the SW comprised 6 Bristol, 10 Plymouth and 1 Penzance all from the NE, albeit two were reliefs starting from Birmingham due to earlier failures and cancellations.

Last time I travelled to Plymouth we caught a Manchester - Paignton train changing to a Paddington - Penzance at Taunton.

Simply the changes made when they switched to the "Covid timetable", all the NW/SW and NE/SE services were dropped to just keep the main NW/SE and NE/SW trains running (the ones on or around the hour at New Street), in effect half an Operation Princess timetable. That was starting to relax and more trains added but with no drivers RDW any return to normality is on hold.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Haven't a clue, have you asked them? (I'm not their spokesperson, I was just clarifying some misconceptions.)

I'm too far retired for any of my old contacts in XC to still be around and haven't been a frequent traveller with them for about six years. 

My perception is just what I see on the ground when I use stations frequented by their remaining trains. I had the misfortune to have to get back from a reunion last night. I realise that trying to travel by any train, not just XC, beyond lunchtime on a Friday is a pretty dumb thing to do, it was always busy with twice the number of trains. Next trip I will try the 350 and Pendo via Crewe or Stoke but late running and cancellations on West Coast were making that look a bit risky. As it turned out it would have added an hour to my journey because of missed connections.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Cross Country has not provided a proper service of trains crossing the country, i.e. through services between a wide range of destinations for many a year. It’s now just another group of services on a limited number of core routes that woefully fails to meet the original concept.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

and XC does not serve Crewe.

It still maintains two paths for route knowledge. 

The 0653 Birmingham to Manchester goes Fast line from Stafford to Crewe then continues via Stockport.

The 0655 Manchester to Bournemouth goes Styal line to first stop at Crewe then via Alsager to Stoke.

Similarly there are two trains each way to Banbury via Dorridge,  two ECS workings via Sutton Coldfield and several between Kingsbury and Water Orton via the Old Line through Whitacre.

:offtopic: Drift Alert

Talking of strange routes the new timetable show a TfW service at 2106 from Birmingham to Manchester Piccadilly via Shrewsbury, Crewe, Chester, Runcorn East, Warrington Bank Quay and Newton-le-Willows, a journey of nearly three and a half hours. From Manchester Piccadilly it then continues via Stockport and Altrincham to Chester. After a layover at Chester the set appears to return to Birmingham via Crewe and Stafford.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

:offtopic: Drift Alert

Talking of strange routes the new timetable show a TfW service at 2106 from Birmingham to Manchester Piccadilly via Shrewsbury, Crewe, Chester, Runcorn East, Warrington Bank Quay and Newton-le-Willows, a journey of nearly three and a half hours. From Manchester Piccadilly it then continues via Stockport and Altrincham to Chester. After a layover at Chester the set appears to return to Birmingham via Crewe and Stafford.

Is any of that journey actually in Wales?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2021 at 09:12, Hobby said:

I was speaking to some of the drivers yesterday and they confirmed what I thought, everyone signs either Voyagers or 170s but only a few sign HSTs so it would be much more likely to end up with no driver for an HST if someone went sick at the last minute. So logic dictates that it's best to take them out of service until RDW returns (it's not a dispute, btw, the drivers are simply not working RDs and sticking to their contracts). So any rumours that HSTs will not come back are just that, rumours, and not based on any facts.

Not many HST drivers, and if they arent driving, I assume their “knowledge” for HSTs will expire at some stage ?

Edited by adb968008