Redruth and Chasewater railway

MarcD

Has this railway every been modelled, to anyone's knowledge?
It has always fascinated me as it's one of the few railways that should run on 16.5mm track if modelled in 4mm scale.
It works out at 28mm gauge in 7mm scale and looking at the weight of rail and chairs would probably us 4mm scale BH rail and chairs.
Marc

• Like 1

a bit of progress with the research. I have now got a set of Ian Rice's sketches for 2 of the locos. And I have narrowed down to 3 sections of the line the termini at Redruth (6ft3 long) and Wheal Bassett (9ft6 long) or the small yard with the walled enclosure at Crofthandy (7ft long).    I have also ordered both of the books written about the line.

Marc

• Like 2

Would one of the books be the softback "The Redruth and Chasewater Railway 1824 - 1915" by D. B. Barton? - first published in 1960 my copy is the revised and extended 1966 edition and cost twelve shillings and sixpence! (Personally I wouldn't have printed the title in dark brown on a dark blue background, as it's barely legible!:nea:)

I had to buy this book as in the late 60s/early 70s I lived within easy cycling distance of the Devoran end of the former line and would often spend a Sunday afternoon exploring the remains up the Carnon valley*, which amounted to some still-extant rows of granite sleeper blocks with clearly visible bolt holes and a farm overbridge built from old rails with stones forced between them, as well as the surviving earthworks - of these, the 53-foot high embankment and 45-foot deep cutting beyond at Hale Mills intended to carry the Poldice branch was the most intriguing feature, as two long tunnels had to be provided under the embankment to take a by-road and a stream - the waste material from the cutting proved unsuitable to line the tunnels so a quarry had to be opened nearby just for this purpose - and after all this effort and considerable expense two years of work stopped in 1855 and no rails were ever laid, which meant that in the end the line stood no chance of going on to reach Chacewater! I was always a little puzzled as to why it wasn't named the Redruth and Devoran Railway from the beginning since its headquarters were at the latter location. However locally it was known as the 'Devoran Railway '.

Had it remained horse-drawn I probably wouldn't have paid it as much attention, but its locomotives 'Miner', 'Smelter' and 'Spitfire' got my imagination going while out amongst the gorse bushes viewing the granite sleepers, especially those clearly showing super-elevation on the 'main line' curve near the above embankment.......

*partly because in those days virtually nothing ran on the Cornish mainline on a Sunday!

Edited by Halvarras
Added a few words....
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I have a hardback copy of The 1824-1915 book.

1242529824_20211201_0833232.jpg.ca276c9b375b108a3e3c692d61ad6ab9.jpg

1305062460_20211201_0834502.jpg.97a1d0736971e4e729369d7f09e52ff0.jpg

That's the one!:good:Your hardback copy is probably wearing a little better than my externally rather tatty and discoloured softback version.

Now I look at it in daylight I can see that the pre-decimal price printed on the rear cover at one point had a label applied over the top of it which presumably stated the decimal price, not necessarily sixty-two and a half pence as I must have bought it second-hand in the 1970s - can't recall the circumstances now.......

Considering the railway shut down so long ago it contains an astonishing amount of information - the author certainly did a 'proper job'!

• Like 2

I have just found this using Google maps street view

1169729191_redruthturminusbuildinggooglemaps.jpg.35302ca1cae6620c25481a6ab92849ad.jpg

the Buildings on the right hand side are the original railway buildings and the squares in the centre and the granite sleeper blocks. it makes building the Redruth end a little easier.

Marc  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

Marc,

I shall follow this one with interest, I’ve long had an interest in the R&C and have been mulling over ideas to model it one day. 

Iain Rice produced a set of drawings of the Box Tank locomotives as part of his Tregarrick series of articles in the late 70s/early 80s, and there was also Wheal Louise from Practical Model Railways in the early 1980s. I’ve got scans of all of these if you want a copy of them. 

On 30/11/2021 at 10:43, MarcD said:

a bit of progress with the research. I have now got a set of Ian Rice's sketches for 2 of the locos. 

Where would these be from if I might ask? I know a Smelter drawing by Iain Rice is in the June 78 issue of Model Railways but having trouble pining down his 0-6-0ST depiction of Miner.

Steve

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, steves17 said:

Where would these be from if I might ask? I know a Smelter drawing by Iain Rice is in the June 78 issue of Model Railways but having trouble pining down his 0-6-0ST depiction of Miner.

Steve

Practical Model Railways March 1984

issue. If you want a copy Steve let me know. 

• Like 1

Much obliged, was completely on the wrong track for finding that Rice article! Neil I've got a copy lined up if need be but it would be great to see some sort of preview before committing bread :good_mini: 

Also yes Marc Dobson very interested to know how you fair with the Spitfire hunt as and when. Don't imagine they or the Scottish archive will have a blueprint for the Miner/Smelter design but it would be a boon to find out they've survived also.

• Like 1