Advertising Intrusions

If anyone is using Firefox on Android tablets, a mitigation for the nuisance adverts is to install uBlock Origin, which does a good job of stopping the advert pane which encroaches from the top of the page, overlaying the login button, thus preventing login.

Once the intrusion issue has been solved, uBlock can be disabled.

• RMweb Premium

I have an armada of adblockers which has cleared out all the advertising completely making the forum perfectly useable.  I may well take up the ad free subscription option when it becomes available but for now the adblockers have to remain firmly on simply to make the site readable.

I now boycott any site that insists on turning adblockers off (mostly the unreadable trash that is local 'news' paper websites) as I cannot see the point of having a site with content the owner wants you to read rendered inaccessible by massive amounts of irrelevant adverts, pop ups and click bait spam.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I have an armada of adblockers which has cleared out all the advertising completely making the forum perfectly useable.  I may well take up the ad free subscription option when it becomes available but for now the adblockers have to remain firmly on simply to make the site readable.

I now boycott any site that insists on turning adblockers off (mostly the unreadable trash that is local 'news' paper websites) as I cannot see the point of having a site with content the owner wants you to read rendered inaccessible by massive amounts of irrelevant adverts, pop ups and click bait spam.

Well said. I have had to install adblockers and tracking blockers to make the site usable. This page alone is hosting 7 ad streams and 3 trackers that are reported as blocked. I wonder if access via a VPN would help at all ...

• Moderators
7 hours ago, rab said:

I note the apology banner has gone, but the adverts haven't.

I assume we're stuck with them until the Gold membership

alternative comes along.

I assume most will have seen it by now so I was trying to save space. Yes, until we've got the alternative they have to stay. That's taking far too long to happen for my liking but we should have a good stopgap in a few days.

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

Number of adverts per page is swamping the forum content for me - between 70 and 90 ads a page! Absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, I know and I'm fed up of pointless deletion which is why the other topic was closed as there no useful comments and I'd had a gut full of the whinging. But, no, apparently, I especially have to listen to your moan.

36 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I now boycott any site that insists on turning adblockers off

When the alternative is available I will be doing that here too. I'm not banging my head on the wall for nothing for much longer.

23 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Well said. I have had to install adblockers and tracking blockers to make the site usable. This page alone is hosting 7 ad streams and 3 trackers that are reported as blocked. I wonder if access via a VPN would help at all ...

Will you pay for ad-free access?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I assume most will have seen it by now so I was trying to save space. Yes, until we've got the alternative they have to stay. That's taking far too long to happen for my liking but we should have a good stopgap in a few days.

Yes, I know and I'm fed up of pointless deletion which is why the other topic was closed as there no useful comments and I'd had a gut full of the whinging. But, no, apparently, I especially have to listen to your moan.

When the alternative is available I will be doing that here too. I'm not banging my head on the wall for nothing for much longer.

Will you pay for ad-free access?

@Andy Y Apologies for the first comment then. I'll certainly put a subscription on my to do list. I presume that will replace RM Gold which seems unavailable now.

Edited by Richard E
  • Thanks 1

• AY Mod locked this topic