Dynamis Joystick

• RMweb Gold

I found out something today that I didn't know, you can never stop learning...

I've had Dynamis for ages, I bought my first set the day they were released and I'm a big fan of it. At the weekend I bought the ECoSControlRadio set which is the same basic handset package albeit with different means of talking to its base station.

One thing I noticed in the manual of the ECoSControlRadio is that the joystick is pressure sensitive, if you only push it up or down part way you get a slower acceleration/deceleration rate. I'd not seen this in the Dynamis manual (but then the Dynamis manual is very basic and not very clear) but testing Dynamis shows that it too has the same feature. I'd never noticed this before and was just pushing the joystick up fully to speed up etc. effectively using it as a four position switch, it is a lot more than that!

Am I the only one who had missed this feature of the handset?

Andi

• 3 weeks later...

I hate my Dynamis. It is so poor with the wireless connection. Unless you hold the handset level with the receiver and are directly in front of it, you have no hope.

And I took my baterries out as they went flat, popped down the shop to get some new, got back, installed batteries, and the whole handset had wiped itself and I cried. Programming locos when you have lots is a chor....

But in response to your point, yes, I noticed that and when the handset was talking to the receiver,it proved very effective.

Simon

I hate my Dynamis. It is so poor with the wireless connection. Unless you hold the handset level with the receiver and are directly in front of it, you have no hope.

And I took my baterries out as they went flat, popped down the shop to get some new, got back, installed batteries, and the whole handset had wiped itself and I cried. Programming locos when you have lots is a chor....

But in response to your point, yes, I noticed that and when the handset was talking to the receiver,it proved very effective.

Simon

I can only think you had a bad one. My dynamis was / is so good, i sold the lenz 100 set! Never had a signal problem unless a low energy house bulb is withing 1 foot of the reciever. Been used under all sorts of exhibition lights and still got controll 24 ft from the reciever!

Must try Andi's find out??

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a second hand dynamis to run Outon Road. I've allways been analogue before so just entering the DCC scene. I'm happy with mine. Works a treat. However I noticed the throttle sensitivity straight away. It felt intuative that way, then again I did dabble in RC car racing for a number of years and that is essentially how the controls work for them so I never expected it to be any other way. Does feel a little wierd driving trains like that though after years of turning a knob. I need practice I think!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd noticed - it's cool. It's good for getting the 'squeal' of brakes on a sound chipped 37! Drop the speed really quickly!

I'm using 28 speed steps I think - if you have a jolt between speed steps perhaps increase to 28 or 128 from the standard 14?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dynamis is FAB ! I too have been using it since it was released. The ONLY snag for me is the 40 address limit in the Roster, otherwise it is brilliant on my layout. I see someone else posted about getting rid of Lenz 100 - I did exactly the same once I'd bought the Dynamis. I look forward to investing in the ECoS controller, just biding my time to convince the better half of it's merits vs price :-)

I did know about the joystick, but only discovered it by accident myself.

Regards,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem with the 40 limit stack as well & got around this by buying extra hadsets & programming surplus locos into these.

I currently have 4 handsets (but not 160 locos you'll be pleased to know!), and allocate each of them to a region - SR ,MR ER & WR. This saves deleting and adding locos continually.

The system works fine but you can only operate 1 handset at a time.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Dynamis is FAB ! I too have been using it since it was released. The ONLY snag for me is the 40 address limit in the Roster, otherwise it is brilliant on my layout. I see someone else posted about getting rid of Lenz 100 - I did exactly the same once I'd bought the Dynamis. I look forward to investing in the ECoS controller, just biding my time to convince the better half of it's merits vs price :-)

I did know about the joystick, but only discovered it by accident myself.

Regards,

Matt

.... I take it I have a dud.

Quite possibly.

From anecdotal evidence, there does seem to be a quality control issue with regards to the IR performance of different examples of the handset and IR receiver/transmitter. Some people report getting very good coverage (angle and range) within the limitations of such a system, while others have experienced much poorer performance or problems.

On the other hand there are issues about interference with the IR signal from other radiating sources such as strong sunlight, fluorescent or low energy lighting; and issues with battery power affecting the IR performance (low power causing malfunctions, re-chargeables not being powerful enough etc.).

There's also the problem of users not understanding how this particular two-way IR system works, not reading the manual or not operating the kit properly.

If you are interested, there are several other threads in the archives covering these topics. This particular thread is about the joystick. wink.gif

Archived