Creating loco icons for ECoS

daltonparva

Hello all.

A few years ago I downloaded a tutorial on creating loco icons via a photo altering thingy called Gimp, and successfully created my own icons. I have now tried to create a few more since the introduction of new locos like the 1P, Caley & Precedent etc, but the Gimp thingy has changed to something a bit more complicated which looks nothing like the tutorial. I think I managed to muddle through it and created 2 little pictures which measure the required 190 x 40 whatevers, with the background coloured in, but neither will upload  to ECoS. (I think it said the file was too big). Does anyone know where there is a more recent description of how to go about it, I've had a Google but there appears to be nothing earlier than about 5 years old. I am a bit un-computery so I would need something that spells everything out in simple terms.

Thanks all.

Does the background need to be transparent?

If not, open Microsoft Paint (assuming you're using Windows?).  Left-click and drag your existing (too big) image into the blank Paint document.

Then save it again (name it something else) and see if it reduces in size.  Make sure you're using the right file format.  MS Paint may try and save it as a PNG file.  I don't know what the ECoS needs.

19 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Does the background need to be transparent?

If not, open Microsoft Paint (assuming you're using Windows?).  Left-click and drag your existing (too big) image into the blank Paint document.

Then save it again (name it something else) and see if it reduces in size.  Make sure you're using the right file format.  MS Paint may try and save it as a PNG file.  I don't know what the ECoS needs.

Just seen your reply, thank you.

Before you reduce your picture to the small size you have to colour the background in grey, code b6b6b6, to match the ECoS. I think I've done everything I should have, I just don't know why it keeps saying file too big.

What is the file size. Mine are max 23kb. 

Anything bigger does not load. 

I have just done one in Microsoft Paint and successfully uploaded it to the ECoS. 

File size 22.3kb. 190x40 pixels

Do you want me to look at your file. PM me if you do and I will pass you my e mail address  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And background colour does not matter ….  have done mine using process described by other posters above in Paint as bitmap files

All my current ones are diesels but you are welcome to use them if they are of any use. Drop me a PM

Edited by Phil Bullock
Additional info

• RMweb Gold

A couple of things to check, so that you produce an image that should be 22.3K in size.

190 x 40 pixels

96 pixels per inch

24 bit bitmap

What size is your image? 

Steve