Bovey Quay

Gedward

Most pubs had a hanging sign with an appropriate picture/ logo and the owning brewery on it, usually at the top (or 'free house' instead of a brewery). The pub name at the bottom. Or style to suit. . . . 

Postcard completed 👍

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Golden Cod doesn't do it for me, sorry.

FWIW, from (fuzzy) memory Brixham pubs, of note were 'The Crown' (& Anchor), 'The Sprat' (& Mackerel) and 'The Blue' (Anchor). Also The (Golden) Lion up the valley, for a bling name! Things have changed a lot at the top of town, but I suspect railwaymen might've nipped along of The Queen's (Arms) when opportunity afforded.

I think the convention if there is any, is more that names already full of meaning were picked to give/reflect the pub's identity. There's a risk of us reverse engineering to names which 'identify as a pub', which ring a little hollow IMO.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for all the comments. We were always in two minds with that name. Because it's an easy fix, I thought I'd give it a whirl, but a new name has been chosen...

On 24/04/2024 at 11:19, Schooner said:

The (Golden) Lion up the valley, for a bling name!

The new name is...

THE GOLDEN ANCHOR

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A late friend feigned never to recall pub names, and would always identify such as "The Old Boot & Socks". Imagine his delight when he found a wine-bar near London Bridge called "The Boot & Flogger". 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John. I purchased the font from My Fonts. Then set up a doc in PSD with several sizes and printed out a laser copy.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Thanks John. I purchased the font from My Fonts. Then set up a doc in PSD with several sizes and printed out a laser copy.

The "N" is weird/eye-catching/both.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The "N" is weird/eye-catching/both.

As a graphic designer by trade, you can understand that I spent countless hours looking for the right font for this. Bovey Quay is to be both quirky and also very rundown set between '55-'65.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Looks very much like a  Lundun boozer, to me!!

That's right, we lived in Paddington from 1955 to 1969. But I only left London a couple of years ago.

Bovey Quay is a unique place it'll have a character all of its own. It won't be a model of any particular place TBH. I'm not after following conventions or prototypes.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2024 at 11:19, Schooner said:

Golden Cod doesn't do it for me, sorry.

FWIW, from (fuzzy) memory Brixham pubs, of note were 'The Crown' (& Anchor), 'The Sprat' (& Mackerel) and 'The Blue' (Anchor). Also The (Golden) Lion up the valley, for a bling name! Things have changed a lot at the top of town, but I suspect railwaymen might've nipped along of The Queen's (Arms) when opportunity afforded.

I think the convention if there is any, is more that names already full of meaning were picked to give/reflect the pub's identity. There's a risk of us reverse engineering to names which 'identify as a pub', which ring a little hollow IMO.

There was a pub in Dundee called “Grissel Jaffray‘s” which was named after a local woman who was burned at the stake as a witch.

The history and paintings adorned the interior 

The pub was sold and the new owner didn’t like the name Grissel so they removed it and the pub became Jaffray’s which meant absolutely nothing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

There was a pub in Dundee called “Grissel Jaffray‘s” which was named after a local woman who was burned at the stake as a witch.

The history and paintings adorned the interior 

The pub was sold and the new owner didn’t like the name Grissel so they removed it and the pub became Jaffray’s which meant absolutely nothing.

Well, I suppose if they'd called it Grissel's they wouldn't have done such a good trade in pies...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

As you've probably heard by now about my new project, Ponte San Rocco. This will take up all my attention for the time being.

But we will eventually return to a revised Bovey Quay, a slimmed down version, a cameo layout / diorama if you will.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, I suppose if they'd called it Grissel's they wouldn't have done such a good trade in pies...

I kneew a chap who always referred to Wimpy bars as 'Gristleburger foundries'!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3