Siphon G diagram O.11 outside frame in 4mm

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress, the roof and roof details are in place.

_MG_8112b.jpg.1a15e64e8a5d22298dadad7d09dfdd15.jpg

The van end handrails and the footsteps are fitted.

_MG_8124b.jpg.2407b28f113346f76342509435fe3c92.jpg

I've assembled the parts for the corridor connection but that won't be properly fitted until after the model is painted. I have also been able to source a supply of laser cut bellows as I did for the earlier versions. I had lost touch with the guy who makes these but fortunately I was able to make contact again recently. His bellows make a much neater job than the ones I have had to supply recently which needed to be cut out with scissors.

_MG_8137b.jpg.cfe47ed4f9722d0b478e96312b1b93a5.jpg

This is the corridor connection which I have temporarily assembled. 

_MG_8138b.jpg.d29db7848f4c8fd318e3e9513542bda6.jpg

I just need to fit the lamp irons to the body plus the remaining castings and couplings on the chassis now to complete this one. Once the new test etches arrive I'll build the chassis again and if that is O.K. I will be able to supply kits to those who have requested one. 

Ian

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Would you be making the corridor connections available separately, they look a lot easier than the Roxey Mouldings, ones.

I could but I don't think it would be worth it Phil. The one on this model is part of one of the frets so I would need to make a new drawing (easy enough) and then get a tool made (cost about £40) so there would have to be sufficient sales to cover the tooling plus the etches themselves. On a small etch like this there would only be a couple of quid profit per unit so you need to sell at least 20 just to cover the cost of producing it and I doubt if there would be that much demand for it. I'm just another modeller, not a business so I don't advertise anywhere, consequently, apart from those on this forum hardly anybody would know the etch was available. If you think you can drum up enough demand, let me know and I'll take a closer look at it.

Ian

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Just done a reccie on the stash and I have 20 coaches that are potentially in need of corridor connections.  I  will hold up on producing them, until I have the ones with your kit to hand.

Many Thanks.

O.K. I'll knock a drawing up this evening and send you a pdf copy so you can get some idea of dimensions etc.

I've fitted the lamp irons and also the buffers and pipes etc. but I'm not happy with the buffers so they will be coming off and I'll do some new ones. There isn't (as far as I am aware) an oval buffer in the GWR Square Shank style available so I have had to cut down some round ones but they need reworking, or more likely putting in the bin and replacing !!!.

_MG_8149b.jpg.aef1c692d99405c187a864b9f37df91a.jpg

_MG_8163b.jpg.421b2d61c3687eb4ca2c48e9f35540ee.jpg

The coupling is one of my own frets which I did a while back. It's pretty easy to assemble. The shackles are bent around the shank of a 1.5mm drill to get the shape and then it just clips together.

Photo315.jpg.79bee77e68266aed72f84dc4e1aa2a0f.jpg

Ian

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

There's absolutely no need to rush getting the gangways done,  I have plenty of other projects that need to be completed before I get around to the coach stash. Some motive power being one, hopefully I will start to address that problem at Missenden Abbey, next month.

On 03/02/2022 at 13:38, Siberian Snooper said:

Would you be making the corridor connections available separately, they look a lot easier than the Roxey Mouldings, ones.

im  about to send in the next few weeks a scissor connector and detailing etch off to be done which will include laser cut bellows  its slightly different to the photo as no slots at the bottom. The detailing  includes steps, lamp irons jumper cables  262010551_10223364020021824_7223731166008373015_n.jpg.2775d4a0cb62cb3253fbabfb60042424.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The new test etches have arrived, this is the one with most of the chassis parts on it. The big rectangular piece at the bottom left is the roof. I'll remove these and pre-roll them before sending out the kits.

_MG_8209b.jpg.95da3e16567eeddf97daa3ac35d5316c.jpg

I'll try to get this built over the next week or so and post a few photo's.

Ian

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

The new chassis build is going well but I have somehow or other managed to move the two holes which take the vacuum cylinder wire out of position on this drawing. It's an easy fix but it's very annoying as it means I'll have to have another tool made which adds to the cost. It won't delay the release of the kit though unless I find something else which is major but everything else looks fine.

_MG_8277b.jpg.56bc05b68f802759724a8d126afc1375.jpg

You can see the error with the incorrect holes behind the vac cylinders. I have no idea how I managed to get them out of place, they were correct on the last build so I must have inadvertently moved them when I was altering something else.  :(

I'll make a start on the brake linkages etc next then post another photo or two.

Ian

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Drilling 2 holes in the right place can't be beyond anyone building the kit Ian? , it will save the cost of a new tool.

Mike.

As long as the destructions give the new locations,  I don't see a problem, better still a paper template showing the existing holes and crosshairs for the new holes.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Drilling 2 holes in the right place can't be beyond anyone building the kit Ian? , it will save the cost of a new tool.

Mike.

Yes you are right Mike but you know me by now, I won't sell anything I'm not 100% happy with. We've both built enough kits that are a real struggle because there are errors or things don't fit. I always try to get things right so anybody who builds one of my kits knows that it is at least buildable without significant work. There might be the odd small error due to lack of information at the time the kit was developed but at least the model will go together.

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, macgeordie said:

Yes you are right Mike but you know me by now, I won't sell anything I'm not 100% happy with. We've both built enough kits that are a real struggle because there are errors or things don't fit. I always try to get things right so anybody who builds one of my kits knows that it is at least buildable without significant work. There might be the odd small error due to lack of information at the time the kit was developed but at least the model will go together.

Ian

Bloody hell Ian, I wouldn't beat yourself up over 2 misplaced holes, although I know your mantra and that's why you've got your own roundtuit box on my bench.

You're not doing it as a "professional/commercial" enterprise, and it's not as though you're in Jidenco/Falcon/MTK/Masokits et al territory with quality and buildability, we're just benefiting from your industry.

But, at the end of day, its what you are comfortable with.

More power to your elbow, (although not quite at this exact moment as I'm still on with your current/recent productivity!)

Mike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, macgeordie said:

Ian

Where would the fun be, if we didn't have something to a) moan and swear about and b) modify and put right?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The chassis is now complete apart from the vac and steam pipes, I'll leave those off till later as they are easily snagged and broken off. Apart from the misplaced vac cylinder holes everything else was fine although I did adjust the position of some of the rivets on the solebar overlays slightly.

_MG_8310b.jpg.f24a354a732b33c476f4e47a140ae9f0.jpg

I have ordered the etches for everyone on the list plus a couple of spare sets in case there are any latecomers.

Once I get the quotation back I'll be able to work out a final price. I will contact everyone on the list after that to confirm their orders and let them know the anticipated cost. 

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have now contacted everybody on the list to advise them of the cost etc. I expect to get the etches in about 4 weeks so I'll be in touch with everybody then.

If you haven't heard from me, you are not on the list but I did order a couple of spare sets just in case there are any latecomers.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I managed to make a start on my o.33 at the weekend. Hinges handles and strapping attached to one side so far. Improving in technique to get straight hinges, it gets better towards the right hand end. I got a rhythm too, the first 6 hinges took an hour, the remainder not much more than an hour. Looking to start the second side tonight.

IMG_1793.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Rodger, the hinges is the worst (most boring) part of the build, once you get that done the rest is very straightforward.

I have got the etches for the O.11's and they are all wrapped ready to go now. I'm still waiting for some castings from MJT which I ordered 6 weeks ago but I have  few sets of castings in stock so I will be sending some kits out this week to those who have ordered them.

Ian

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, macgeordie said:

Nice one Rodger, the hinges is the worst (most boring) part of the build, once you get that done the rest is very straightforward.

I have got the etches for the O.11's and they are all wrapped ready to go now. I'm still waiting for some castings from MJT which I ordered 6 weeks ago but I have  few sets of castings in stock so I will be sending some kits out this week to those who have ordered them.

Ian

Cant wait!  Will have to get the work bench tidied to make room.