The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

2022 Motorsports thread

Steadfast

Scalextrix  Formula e season started at the weekend. Not bad racing (any at this time of year will do!!) allowing for the contrived power boosts etc. and a track with only one good passing place. Now on Channel 4 with a lot on their YouTube channel.

We also had the first round of the IMSA SportsCar Championship at the weekend with the Daytona 24 Hours. The race was won by a Acura run by Meyer Shank Racing with Brits Oliver Jarvis and Tom Blomqvist (son of Stig) co-driving with Helio Castroneves and Simon Pagenaud, who will be team mates at Meyer Shank Racing in this season of IndyCar. Another couple of IndyCar drivers (Pato O'Ward and Colton Herta) also the won the LMP2 class (finished 5th overall). Porsche won both the GT classes, with the works supported teams from Corvette and BMW having a bit of a mare with their new cars (built to GT3 rules).

The next round of the IMSA is the Sebring 12 Hours on 19th March (with the first round of the World Endurance Championship, 1,000 Miles of Sebring the day before).

20 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I have seen a image of the paint scheme in Autosport. Reminds me of the colours of the Prodrive-run Ford Mondeos in the last couple of seasons of the Super Touring era, 1999 and 2000.

I remember NAPA paint jobs in NASCAR (sponsoring one of Michael Waltrip Racing's entries) and more recently on one of Andretti Autosport's cars in IndyCar.

• RMweb Premium

For those that like their Motorsport to go in circles. NASCAR has full races on their YouTube these days.

https://youtube.com/c/NASCAR

Very exciting for those this side of the boating lake that saw days of thunder but had no free to air to see what it was actually like.

Recommend this if you've never watched one before;

https://youtu.be/Z0vKy4wc-cI 

Keeping me entertained while i am holding bits together while they glue

Edited by SR71

This is a great thread, I enjoy watching pretty much all motor sports. 

My favourite at the moment is sprint racing. Not everyone's cup of tea. 

Edited by porkie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, porkie said:

This is a great thread, I enjoy watching pretty much all motor sports. 

My favourite at the moment is sprint racing. Not everyone's cup of tea. 

What I love about sprint racing is that the chapter about rev limits in the book on car prep just wasn't in their copy.

• Funny 2

Here's a live stream on YouTube of today's race of champions in Sweden. 

A good event this year it seems, better than some of the recent ones in my opinion. 

Great result in the nation's cup yesterday, too, well deserved.

Jo

NASCAR's season opener, the Daytona 500 is on this weekend with the defending champion Kyle Larson on pole. One well-known name from yesteryear who has guaranteed a spot on the grid for this race is 1997 Formula One Champion Jacques Villeneuve. Daytona 500 is one of those races where anything can happen, especially as there is always at least one 'big one' (multi-car wreck) towards the end of the race.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2022 at 11:41, Invicta Informant said:

NASCAR's season opener, the Daytona 500 is on this weekend with the defending champion Kyle Larson on pole. One well-known name from yesteryear who has guaranteed a spot on the grid for this race is 1997 Formula One Champion Jacques Villeneuve. Daytona 500 is one of those races where anything can happen, especially as there is always at least one 'big one' (multi-car wreck) towards the end of the race.

Will they be loading it onto YouTube as last year or was that just a pandemic thing? As posted before I've really been enjoying watching old races during the off season.

The Daytona 500 was won by Austin Cindric, driving for Team Penske, his first win in the Cup Series.

On 18/02/2022 at 16:58, SR71 said:

Will they be loading it onto YouTube as last year or was that just a pandemic thing? As posted before I've really been enjoying watching old races during the off season.

There might be some highlights of the race available somewhere on YouTube. The problem with NASCAR in the UK is that it is behind a paywall (aren't most things...) that is Premier Sports and it is a shame they don't broadcast highlights of previous weekend's races on their sister channel FreeSports.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

The Daytona 500 was won by Austin Cindric, driving for Team Penske, his first win in the Cup Series.

There might be some highlights of the race available somewhere on YouTube. The problem with NASCAR in the UK is that it is behind a paywall (aren't most things...) that is Premier Sports and it is a shame they don't broadcast highlights of previous weekend's races on their sister channel FreeSports.

Last year's was on FreeSports (now ch 65) but very hard to find out what is on from one day to the next.

• RMweb Premium

Full 500 is available on NASCAR official YouTube.

@Invicta Informant there's no way to write this without sounding blunt - Limit of the forum format so my apologies. If replying to someone who's expressing interest in watching a sporting event maybe don't start the reply with the result?

Sitting back with lunch to enjoy the start *popcorn*.

*Oooo, bump drafting already.

Now I'm home I can add the link

Edited by SR71
added detail missed in draft

On 23/02/2022 at 12:39, SR71 said:

@Invicta Informant there's no way to write this without sounding blunt - Limit of the forum format so my apologies. If replying to someone who's expressing interest in watching a sporting event maybe don't start the reply with the result?

Fair comment. Sorry about that. Not used to contributing to the Wheeltappers section of the forum.

IndyCar started their season this weekend in St. Petersburg, Florida. There is a bit of gap until the next race at Texas Motor Speedway on 20th March.

• Friendly/supportive 1

WRC time, Rally Sweden this time and for some it really wasn't fun in the snow. I wasn't able to spend as much time watching it live on WRC + but did catch up with all the stages.

I must admit, I do get fed up with all the 'Sunday Drives'. Too many drivers saying 'I backed off to save Tyres for the Power Stage'. 

Have to say, I was gutted for Craig Breen and Elfyn Evens. Really not sure if Craigs first spin off on the second stage on the Friday was due to pushing too hard. However, it's certain that the damage to the windscreen washer caused the second which ended his rally.

Elfyn however I really feel was pushing too hard. Two scrappy mistakes which cost him. He could have come away with some good points but instead has nothing. He needs to recapture that consistency that he had the last two years. Otherwhise his championship hopes will be gone.

It seems we've also had the first 'red light' retirements. Ott Tanak was the best known and made comments about it at the end of the rally. However it seems Evans also couldn't continue due to his Hybrid not working and displaying a green light.

Overall, really enjoyed the rally and wish it wasn't so long till the next one!

Watching the Sweden coverage has made me notice something in the lower categories that I can't get my head around, or find answered on Google. 

JWRC now uses the Rally3 Fiestas. Jon Armstrong won the JWRC category, but doesn't feature in the Rally3 standings. Those who finished 2-3-4 behind him in JWRC finished 1-2-3 in Rally3. Surely if the car is that spec, you'd be included? Or am I missing something?  Explanations greatly received? 

One thing though, the WRC results page could do with colour coordinating each category, like endurance racing does so you can see who was actually battling who.

You have to click the plus icon to see what category each driver is in. A bit cumbersome.

https://www.wrc.com/en/results-standings/rally-results/rally-monte-carlo/results/

Jo

On 01/03/2022 at 16:59, LNERandBR said:

The graphics on the WRC+ coverage has different colours for the different category Drivers. I don't think that used to until this year.

Hopefully it'll spread to website too in time then.

Jo

44 & 33 racing again...

Well, Pol Espargaro & Brad Binder in MotoGP finishing 3rd and 2nd respectivly behind Enea Bastianini on a 2021 Gresini Ducati - the factory bikes going backwards at the start and then Bagnia taking out Martin in a tackle not seen since the 1970 Cup Final.

3rd place for Sam Lowes in Moto2 after Ogura took out Fernandez at the last coner. Jake Dixon 11th after being forced back on lap 1.

Highlights on ITV4  - not great - sudden big gaps and then big gaps suddenly disappearing...

Nice to see a new race winner in MotoGP, especially coming from the Gresini Racing team who over the past few years having been running Aprilia's works team (now a in-house operation) and last year sadly saw the passing of their founder Fausto Gresini after two month battle with Covid.

Also interesting to see Brad Binder's younger brother Darryn riding with the satellite Yamaha team (WithU Yamaha RNF MotoGP Team) partnering Andrea Dovizioso, and Wayne Gardner's son Remy riding with the Tech3 KTM team.