The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

2022 Motorsports thread

Steadfast

Something I'm looking forward to this weekend is the first round of the European Rally Championship. Only because with the ERC now being promoted by the WRC Promoter every stage of the ERC is now going to be streamed live on WRC+.

When I've tried to get into WRC2 in the past I've often given up. Often when I'm playing catch up I'll swap to the next stage when the WRC2 cars start appearing. Not sure why, could be the cars or it could be the Drivers. I'm hoping that watching the Rally2 cars in ERC gets me more interested in watching their WRC counterparts. 

https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/

• 4 weeks later...

5th place for Jake Dixon Moto2 Argentina after his pole in Indonesia - then washing out the front end on the first lap...

BSB final testing at Silverstone this week.

BTCC testing at Croft tomorrow.

First round of WorldSBK this weekend.

Some proper racing to look forward to...

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Plato's 2022 team has been announced, he's doing a year at BTC Honda. Hopefully the car remains competitive. 

https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news/plato-retire-2022-season-btc-honda/9654628/

Question is though, who will I support in 2023?

Jo

I did wonder when he would hang up his helmet, I remember him first joining Renault alongside Alain Menu in 1997 and you could tell then he would be a future star. It would be nice if he could get to 100 wins before he finishes

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I did wonder when he would hang up his helmet, I remember him first joining Renault alongside Alain Menu in 1997 and you could tell then he would be a future star. It would be nice if he could get to 100 wins before he finishes

Jason Plato and Alain Menu, that brings back some memories! That seems like a touring car golden age in hindsight; at any rate it had become popular enough that some races were being broadcast live.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, 37114 said:

I can imagine, having seen bits of that era on YouTube.  I was lucky enough to be at Brands when he got win 97. 

If people haven’t seen it, this is a good watch. There's a part two aswell, should come up in the recommendations. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

I can imagine, having seen bits of that era on YouTube.  I was lucky enough to be at Brands when he got win 97. 

If people haven’t seen it, this is a good watch. There's a part two aswell, should come up in the recommendations. 

Jo

I was lucky enough to see Matt Neil win the first independent win and scoop big dosh and Aurileo get punted into the wall at Donington when chasing the same big money pretty sure Plato would have been nearby in both results 

9 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

Not watched it yet but pretty amazing they got the 2 of them in the same room, they hated each other from memory and it ended up with their Dads needing to keep them apart to stop a fight after a clash at Rockingham if I recall.

• Agree 1

Yeah the dads splitting them up is a classic BTCC moment! It's a while since I've watched it, but they seemed pretty amicable from memory. I wonder if Jonny Smith knowing Jason from the Fifth Gear days helped?

Jo

Win it or bin it Tarran McKenzie binned it big time coming out of Woodcote testing. Got away with a broken ankle putting in doubt starting next weekend's opening round and also WorldSBK start at Assen at the end of the month.

https://www.facebook.com/britishsuperbike/videos/tarrans-high-speed-testing-crash/2884676595156960/

• 2 weeks later...

The new season of the British Touring Car Championship starts this weekend at Donington Park. One key thing that has been introduced this season is a hybrid system made by Cosworth. The old success ballast system is no longer being used. Instead TOCA (the series organiser) will cut the hybrid boost available to the drivers depending on where they finish.

The entry list for the season stands at 29 cars.

Ash Sutton (defending champion), Dan Cammish, Ollie Jackson and Sam Osborne racing for Motorbase Ford.

Tom Chilton, Tom Ingram, Jack Butel and Dan Lloyd racing for Excelr8 Hyundai.

Rory Butcher and Ricky Collard (son of Rob) racing for Speedworks Toyota.

Stephen Jelley, Colin Turkington and Jake Hill racing for WSR BMW.

Dan Rowbottom and Gordon Shedden racing for Dynamics Honda.

Jason Plato (in his last season), Josh Cook and Jade Edwards racing for BTC Honda.

Aiden Moffat and Dexter Patterson racing for Laser Tools Racing Infiniti.

Bobby Thompson, Nicolas Hamilton (brother of Lewis), Jack Goff and Aron Taylor-Smith racing for Team Hard Cupra, who are also running a Infiniti for Rick Parfitt Jr.

Adam Morgan and George Gamble racing for Ciceley BMW.

Ash Hand and Michael Crees racing for Power Maxed Vauxhall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SR71 said:

Concerning number of technical retirements in first BTCC race. Lap 1 battle was good though.

Yep, was it 6 for the lead through the chicane at the end of the lap?

Jo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The British Touring Car Championship is back this weekend at Thruxton. Coverage is on ITV4.

Plus there is the Indy 500, MotoGP from Mugello, and the Nürburgring 24 Hours. There was meant to be two races in the World Touring Car Cup at the Nürburgring before the 24 Hour Race but following a number of tyre failures (Goodyear are the tyre supplier to the series) in practice and qualifying, the races were cancelled on safety grounds.

There also was a ceremony at Mugello where MotoGP retired Valentino Rossi's No. 46 (akin to the NHL retiring Wayne Gretzky's No. 99 across the league).

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2022 at 19:29, porkie said:

Enjoyed watching the NW200 on BBC I player. And now the Hardcore riders are at the Isle of Man.

Itv4 is  showing the event in the evenings 

Sidecar race 1 this evening. Those passengers are another level. One thing going around there but going around there without a brake you control...

• Like 1

I am surprised nobody has commented about build-up of and the race itself of the Le Mans 24 Hours race that took place this weekend just gone.

Out of the 62 that started, 53 got a classified finish, which is a pretty good attrition rate by Le Mans standards.

Next year's race is on the weekend of 10th & 11th June 2023, which will be the 91st running of the race and the 100th anniversary of the very first one.

And there should be more manufacturers in the top class next year. Toyota and Glickenhaus should be joined by Peugeot and Ferrari with their Hypercars, and Acura, BMW, Cadillac and Porsche with their LMDh cars, with Alpine and Lamborghini due to join in the fray in 2024.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Invicta Informant said:

I am surprised nobody has commented about build-up of and the race itself of the Le Mans 24 Hours race that took place this weekend just gone.

I had a grandstand ticket - but the cold I contracted nearly 3 weeks ago is still dragging me down. I hope to make it next year, which will be my 23rd visit, in my 75th year. Fingers crossed!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that has been a good watch over the past few days on YouTube is the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Also on this weekend is British Touring Cars from Croft, MotoGP from Assen in the Netherlands, World Touring Car from Aragon in Spain, and the Safari Rally from Kenya is back on the World Rally Championship calendar.

• Agree 1