Building another O gauge micro layout and weathering stock

Nick G

Basic weathering on the chassis done, ladders, footsteps and grab handles removed. Next step is to transform it into faded Railfreight otherwise known as pink.

Fading-HEA.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 8

Looking forward to seeing this weathered. Do you brush paint straight over the factory finish and does that go for the underframe as well? Got to start a class 31 soon and struggle with underframes sometimes and feel I should be airbrushing them. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Got to start a class 31 soon and struggle with underframes sometimes and feel I should be airbrushing them. 

I think airbrushing can look too uniform  so not necessarily better than brushing. If you use paints thinned down to washes you can build up bit by bit so avoid overdoing it and the 'dirt' is drawn onto cracks and details, just as on the real thing. You also see the original colour through the grime.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

Looking forward to seeing this weathered. Do you brush paint straight over the factory finish and does that go for the underframe as well? Got to start a class 31 soon and struggle with underframes sometimes and feel I should be airbrushing them. 

I have an airbrush but since I have been modelling O gauge I haven't used it. Yes I brush 'frame dirt' on the underframe straight over the factory finish. I use powdersto highlights some of the detail like brake blocks and springs.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/01/2023 at 12:49, Nick G said:

Basic weathering on the chassis done, ladders, footsteps and grab handles removed. Next step is to transform it into faded Railfreight otherwise known as pink.

Fading-HEA.jpg

Almost finished the transformation, copied from a photo. Luckily one of the transfer sheets from Railtec transfers had the exact number for this HEA.

HEA_360515_Toton_041107a

HEA-15-1-23.jpg

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Sunday shunt, some time in 2007, this stock will be for the next project.

It IS going to be a coal yard.

Disgusting of Market Harbororugh

Were there any coal yards in 2007?

3 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Gobowen, just up the road from you, was kicking about quite late on. Not sure when it closed but it was one of the last survivors.....

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Gobowen closed in the 90's.

21 hours ago, Nick G said:

Almost finished the transformation, copied from a photo. Luckily one of the transfer sheets from Railtec transfers had the exact number for this HEA.

HEA_360515_Toton_041107a

HEA-15-1-23.jpg

Very very nice 😃

Edited by sb67
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2023 at 21:31, Nick G said:

Gobowen closed in the 90's.

Checked up on this one me duck. According to Paul Shannon, who knows his stuff as far as I'm concerned, in his book Rail Freight since 1968; Coal,  says that Gobowen was still receiving deliveries in 2004 and was seemingly receiving sporadic deliveries when the book was published in 2006.......So that coal yard could still be your next project. You could certainly get away with the blue 08s, and even the grey one, with the pink hoppers. Go on, you know you want to!

Just a thought

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 2

On 15/01/2023 at 20:42, Nick G said:

HEA_360515_Toton_041107a

HEA-15-1-23.jpg

My take on the same wagon.

828121773_RFHEA3.jpg.c67178b334a53c0e24994aa4e9b62f01.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 minutes ago, jonas said:

I love the railfreight logo on the latest HEA. Wonderful weathering Nick as always.

Thank you. I was trying to copy a picture of the prototype but it didn't turn out exactly as I envisaged but I think it looks fine.

• Like 1