Medway East - 1990s Kent coast mainline in EM

Timara

• RMweb Gold

I remember the original article in Model Rail all those years ago I may have that magazine somewhere. 

It was a great inspirational layout back then and looking at this post it's still very much so. 

I'm glad it's now on here and it's great to see it after all these years. 

I'll be following with great interest. 

Cheers 

Colin 

• RMweb Gold

Great to see this layout again, I still have the Model rail feature on it somewhere. The aircraft blue of Mainline freight has to be one of the best looking liveries around at that time.   

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I think Malcolm worked for CM&EE SR at Southern House, Croydon, possibly in Maintrol. I think he and another senior engineer were members of the Crawley MR club. 

Indeed he did!  From what I remember, he was responsible for the maintenance schedule of the engines in the DEMUs, amongst other things.  Reminds me, I must drop him a line sometime.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, simon b said:

Great to see this layout again, I still have the Model rail feature on it somewhere. The aircraft blue of Mainline freight has to be one of the best looking liveries around at that time.   

I absolutely agree with you!  As a teenager growing up in the 90s, when the three freight companies unveiled their liveries, it was a hugely exciting and refreshing change.  Transrail, even though it was bland by comparison to the other two, was still nice to see, but the blue was where it was at (yes, I'm a LoadHaul fan as well!)

My plan is to replicate 58023 like this, captured on camera by me in May 1997 at Denmark Hill.....

58023_Denmark Hill_7-5-97_970234C.jpg

• Like 8

Amongst the various items of stock I'm building for the layout is a Class 465/2 Networker.  I remember these from new and vastly preferred them to the EPBs they replaced (apologies to EPB fans here!).  My starting point is indeed the Hornby model, which I've done the beginnings of with the first three cars; I'm awaiting another unit coming from a friend to give me the full 4 cars!

20220208_191932.jpg.100f2d80b5b3304cf0bb976790221e1f.jpg

The driving cars are easy, though I have the CET hatch to fill in at the leading end of the underframe.  The centre cars require a careful cut and shut.  I do plan to repaint the blue on the entire unit and some of the red....

20220208_192006.jpg.aaf3d9691a19cb1f532dd41eeba39e36.jpg

Power will be as per the method I chose for an AC version recently, which is the driveline from a Bachmann 158/170.  Plenty of grunt for a 465, for sure.....

More units to come, including two 4CEP and a couple of service EMUs, both based on the Bachmann EPB model.

Cheers,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 17

52 minutes ago, simon b said:

The center car on that Networker looks great, I always wanted to that but was scared I wouldn't be able to make it look good.

Thanks Simon!  It's not that hard to do, to be honest.  Piercing saw, masking tape (for alignment) and time are the key to it.  The inner ends of the underframes for the TSO and TSOL need work to make them match the rest, but that's the least of my worries; plasticard/filler will do that that!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 05/02/2022 at 23:37, Melangoose said:

Remember seeing this layout at the Carshalton and Sutton Club’s Leatherhead model railway exhibition.  A fantastic layout with lovely appropriate stock.

Glad to see the layout is still in operation and appreciated.

I remember you seeing it as well!!  :D

Such a good layout I couldn't resist inviting it.

Dave.

The latest arrival, which arrived in the post this morning, from that well-known auction site.  New wheels and couplings beckon, though I've already made a start by adding the ploughs; 33s always look good with them!

20220209_181600.jpg.fa6c6f97d51d40300e188e37ea43fa3e.jpg

Nice to have one of these in something other than Dutch too.....of the final 8 in service by the time I started photography on the SE in 1997, only two weren't!  The mass cull in the February took out some nice livery variety.

Cheers,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 8

A bit of progress made on one of my two service EMUs, 930203.  Fitting the blanking plate across the two compartments on one side of 977864 had been bugging me for some time, until a friend suggested cutting out the glazing into separate panes and glueing them dead flesh with the bodyside before putting the plasticard over the top of that.  Pleased to say that it worked and if won't be long (finally!) before I can get both bodyshells primed and then painted.

First off is 977864, showing the plating.

20220211_123331.jpg.371e6cec259d8e07648998374831ffe9.jpg

Next is 977865, showing the inner end and indeed the gangway fitted to both cars (BS gangways, as fitted to 1st generation DMUs).

20220211_123645.jpg.aa7b07db39850fa81f3155f445b87538.jpg

Lastly, it's probably worth my showing the unpowered DMB, which has had all the boxes etc removed from another chassis, which is now under one of my 303s for my erstwhile Scottish layout.

20220211_123631.jpg.ca6f9e629ebc8972e52eba53cf0a40e7.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 12

• 4 months later...

It's been (quite) a while since I updated things, not least because of work and my musical activities monopolising my time.  To be honest, having any free time to do anything for myself is a bonus these days!!

I've managed to make further progress on the 465/2, now I have a full 4-car unit; there will eventually be a second unit (see end of this post), which will be mechanically the same as this one when I get round to it.

It's well known that the original mechanism is absolutely gutless, so I'll be using the complete drivetrain from an old Bachmann 158, though with the cardan shafts shortened.  I've already done this on an AC Networker of mine, which runs like a dream and has more than enough grunt to shift its three cars (and more) around.  Here are some in-progress photos showing how I go about building bogie supports and fitting them to the underframe.

20220809_114716a.jpg.d7e3d339fca9706b99a25c689bb30c51.jpg

I start with four blanks of 80 thou plasticard, which then have the upper two corners cut off and fitted lower down and another little bit chopped off the bottom to allow a piece of 40 thou adding, so that it fits onto the underframe; all paint in the areas is removed, so that when the epoxy goes on, it's fixing to the bare metal instead of paint.

20220809_114818a.jpg.222a1da56f79ccd3d273e638ed0d4089.jpg

20220809_114941a.jpg.fce655ea0c2ae18ed4fc9a16c7f124a1.jpg

20220809_115020a.jpg.1e9e16811b19b9fd2479d819b5189707.jpg

I'll be doing some milling away of the ends to allow a Kadee #143 to sit in a small recess, given the bogies preclude them being mounted on top.  I'm still working out what to do for the gap between the middle two cars, as I've merely chopped the dummy buffers off and filed back the necessary metal to let the body sit on properly.  I'll rebuild the fairing to match the other end in due course.  Once this is all done, I'll then fit the bogie brackets in place and add the mounts for the gear towers, again from 80 thou.

Re-wheeling to EM is a fairly straightforward affair, using DCC Concepts 10.5mm wheels, with the axle ends filed flush to the wheel faces.  I carefully blacken the rims, so that the eye "sees" a disc brake surface on the otherwise bright nickel-silver wheel face.  I've had to offset the wheels in the bogies, so that a complete unit can use one of the carriage sidings, as the curvature is sharp enough to cause the walkway to interface with the underframe fairings; I've already taken a file to the corners of them as it is, so it won't now catch!

20220809_115335a.jpg.9700ec90c8f1b26f935035a43e546423.jpg

20220809_115427a.jpg.ce68fb7742da0ccfb4c632df71b07692.jpg

As mentioned above, there will be a second unit to join this one, allowing me to run 8 car trains.  Back when I took the layout on, there had been a desire to run more than just 4 car trains; I can get 5 in at the most.  It's just as well I hadn't started on the new curve at the station end, as I will now be rebuilding the trackwork on the board the station building currently sits on, to allow me to have platforms long enough for two full units.  I've already purchased some Airfix canopies, so that I can extend the existing ones in the same style that Malcolm originally built the current ones.  The layout will also acquire a new name, seeing as I've decided to move it to the Kent coast mainline, somewhere between Rochester and Sittingbourne, as it allows me to retain all the freight traffic to Sheerness etc.  There will be more on this as and when, especially once I decide upon the new name....

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

5 hours ago, Tim said:

It's been (quite) a while since I updated things, not least because of work and my musical activities monopolising my time.  To be honest, having any free time to do anything for myself is a bonus these days!!

I've managed to make further progress on the 465/2, now I have a full 4-car unit; there will eventually be a second unit (see end of this post), which will be mechanically the same as this one when I get round to it.

It's well known that the original mechanism is absolutely gutless, so I'll be using the complete drivetrain from an old Bachmann 158, though with the cardan shafts shortened.  I've already done this on an AC Networker of mine, which runs like a dream and has more than enough grunt to shift its three cars (and more) around.  Here are some in-progress photos showing how I go about building bogie supports and fitting them to the underframe.

20220809_114716a.jpg.d7e3d339fca9706b99a25c689bb30c51.jpg

I start with four blanks of 80 thou plasticard, which then have the upper two corners cut off and fitted lower down and another little bit chopped off the bottom to allow a piece of 40 thou adding, so that it fits onto the underframe; all paint in the areas is removed, so that when the epoxy goes on, it's fixing to the bare metal instead of paint.

20220809_114818a.jpg.222a1da56f79ccd3d273e638ed0d4089.jpg

20220809_114941a.jpg.fce655ea0c2ae18ed4fc9a16c7f124a1.jpg

20220809_115020a.jpg.1e9e16811b19b9fd2479d819b5189707.jpg

I'll be doing some milling away of the ends to allow a Kadee #143 to sit in a small recess, given the bogies preclude them being mounted on top.  I'm still working out what to do for the gap between the middle two cars, as I've merely chopped the dummy buffers off and filed back the necessary metal to let the body sit on properly.  I'll rebuild the fairing to match the other end in due course.  Once this is all done, I'll then fit the bogie brackets in place and add the mounts for the gear towers, again from 80 thou.

Re-wheeling to EM is a fairly straightforward affair, using DCC Concepts 10.5mm wheels, with the axle ends filed flush to the wheel faces.  I carefully blacken the rims, so that the eye "sees" a disc brake surface on the otherwise bright nickel-silver wheel face.  I've had to offset the wheels in the bogies, so that a complete unit can use one of the carriage sidings, as the curvature is sharp enough to cause the walkway to interface with the underframe fairings; I've already taken a file to the corners of them as it is, so it won't now catch!

20220809_115335a.jpg.9700ec90c8f1b26f935035a43e546423.jpg

20220809_115427a.jpg.ce68fb7742da0ccfb4c632df71b07692.jpg

As mentioned above, there will be a second unit to join this one, allowing me to run 8 car trains.  Back when I took the layout on, there had been a desire to run more than just 4 car trains; I can get 5 in at the most.  It's just as well I hadn't started on the new curve at the station end, as I will now be rebuilding the trackwork on the board the station building currently sits on, to allow me to have platforms long enough for two full units.  I've already purchased some Airfix canopies, so that I can extend the existing ones in the same style that Malcolm originally built the current ones.  The layout will also acquire a new name, seeing as I've decided to move it to the Kent coast mainline, somewhere between Rochester and Sittingbourne, as it allows me to retain all the freight traffic to Sheerness etc.  There will be more on this as and when, especially once I decide upon the new name....

Good decision on the re-naming, as I could never quite work out the reason for  "South Sheppey" (Harty Bridge!!)  The station design is much more like Gillingham, although with a bay rather than a true third road. Some of the other aspects, such as the gasometer and the steel shed are more at home on Sheppey. A new name will be a difficult choice, but may I suggest "Medway East", or similar? (You need it be west/north of Sittingbourne/Shepway, because virtually none of the Queenborough/Sheerness traffic went near it.)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mike Storey said:

Good decision on the re-naming, as I could never quite work out the reason for  "South Sheppey" (Harty Bridge!!)  The station design is much more like Gillingham, although with a bay rather than a true third road. Some of the other aspects, such as the gasometer and the steel shed are more at home on Sheppey. A new name will be a difficult choice, but may I suggest "Medway East", or similar? (You need it be west/north of Sittingbourne/Shepway, because virtually none of the Queenborough/Sheerness traffic went near it.)

Thanks Mike!  Funnily enough, the current bay will become a third road, in the up direction.  I've already worked out the trackwork on the new boards, but it's whether I make it look even more like Gillingham and have it going into a cutting and indeed tunnel....  I wouldn't need to have a pair of 4' x 2' (2400mm x 1200mm really) boards if I did that!  I won't be changing a single thing on the other three boards, save for new fully working signals, all 3-aspect.  The public viewing side would be from the north.  I do like that name suggestion, however....  I almost thought of calling it "Luton", given there's a village just to the west of Gillingham sharing the name of the town just north of where I live..... 😂

• RMweb Premium

Not sure Luton is a good name given there is one as part of Medway and from what I remember, village would not be an accurate description.

There area number of local names that you might steal - Iwade (actually just South of Sheppey),   Rushenden (part of Queensborough) or why not something based on "Swale" - Swaledale, Swaleton, Swaleborough etc..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tim said:

Thanks Mike!  Funnily enough, the current bay will become a third road, in the up direction.  I've already worked out the trackwork on the new boards, but it's whether I make it look even more like Gillingham and have it going into a cutting and indeed tunnel....  I wouldn't need to have a pair of 4' x 2' (2400mm x 1200mm really) boards if I did that!  I won't be changing a single thing on the other three boards, save for new fully working signals, all 3-aspect.  The public viewing side would be from the north.  I do like that name suggestion, however....  I almost thought of calling it "Luton", given there's a village just to the west of Gillingham sharing the name of the town just north of where I live..... 😂

Oooo no! Not Luton.

Imagine what punters will think when they see that name in the list of layouts for a Show they are thinking of visiting!

Dave.

ps. mind you, Elbow Lane is not much better.

• Funny 1

7 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Oooo no! Not Luton.

Imagine what punters will think when they see that name in the list of layouts for a Show they are thinking of visiting!

Dave.

ps. mind you, Elbow Lane is not much better.

Hence why I decided against it!  Even if I put (Kent) next to it, it still wouldn't work.....  Have to say I'm warming to Mike's suggestion above of "Medway East"....  Still plenty of thought to be had!

• Like 2