Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Photograph location help required

Chris Turnbull

I have been sorting out my film and digital photographs and came across an envelope stuffed with photographs that I can remember being given by a relative many years ago when I were a lad.  Most of them are captioned but some are not.  Of the uncaptioned ones some are obviously the same location as other photos but these are not.  If any one can shed any light on where these are I would be grateful.  I am sorry about the orientation but RMWeb seems determined to show them this way up.

1233419288_18SheepbridgeBlack55037.jpg.1869cc5b5b5997286c90649070b0fabc.jpg

Photo 18 (on my list):  Here we have a Jubilee - but where?  Somewhere on the Midland judging by the fencing.

1060474636_17A3onTheQueenofScotsP.jpg.94109c0793aedcc5688b32a7d53e31ba.jpg

Photo 17: An A3 on The Queen of Scots.  Presumably somewhere on the ECML.  Many of the other photos were taken in the north-east around Darlington and Durham so this is possibly in the same area.

1252413833_19DoncasterA3.jpg.aff9d52ee86ccc01580e6e70fe11aea3.jpg

Photo 19: An A3 in the 1930s I guess.

1090970147_2070005.jpg.ddc092e49a3ae2a0dfbaf5e4dce10d41.jpg

Photo 20: Britannia 70005 according to the back of the photo.  I would have expected this to be taken some where on the GE but I don't recognise it.

All help appreciated especially about how to correctly orientate the photos.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

The first one looks a bit like Garsdale to my untrained eye

Not Garsdale, the track is curving the wrong way and a lack of pointwork.

Quarries in the background? Perhaps Peak District rather than S&C.

1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

download, rotate, upload

I tried rotating the original but no matter what the orientation RMWeb stubbornly refused to display it properly.  I have never had this problem before and don't understand why I have a problem now.  Anyone any ideas?

Chris Turnbull

18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Has there been an Apple product involved anywhere in the process? 

A couple of days back I uploaded an image that had been taken on an Apple device but then emailed to my pic. 

The only way I could correct the orientation was to crop the image smaller to make it landscape I.e to make it wider than it was tall and then it uploaded fine

• Thanks 1

Second picture - A3 on the Queen of Scots on a two-track line suggests somewhere between Northallerton and Harrogate, or possibly between Harrogate and Leeds. 

Can you read the engine number on the original? If it’s a Gateshead engine, that would be a bit more evidence.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Has there been an Apple product involved anywhere in the process? 

Not that I'm aware of.  It was scanned in on my Epsom V370 scanner, stored on my Toshiba external hard drive and uploaded by my new Dell Inspiron 3891 PC running Windows 11.  I have uploaded hundreds of photos and never had any trouble.  My intention was to restart my "Chris T's photo archives" topic and post my film and digital photos so I would like to get this sorted if possible.

Thank you in advance.

Chris Turnbull 

8 hours ago, pH said:

Second picture - A3 on the Queen of Scots on a two-track line suggests somewhere between Northallerton and Harrogate, or possibly between Harrogate and Leeds. 

Can you read the engine number on the original? If it’s a Gateshead engine, that would be a bit more evidence.

The number could be 60086 but that is by no means certain.  Your suggested location certainly fits in with the other photos taken around Darlington and Durham.

Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, sir douglas said:

1442183762_18Jubilee2.jpg.da49e5dc940df84de1152a84d0ae65ed.jpg.6ad218ba5f6254a776363a26ece08006.jpg

South is to the left - exactly where to the left depends on the time of day. Clearly a Midland location - the running-in board on the right. I think the train is on a falling gradient - from the exhaust the engine is not working hard, maybe even coasting.

So we're looking for a station that has its goods yard at the east end and an underbridge at the west end of the platforms, with houses on the north side. Also an underpass with steps down. Hill country - possibly a quarry on the south side?

The engine is 5637 Windward Islands, allocated to Sheffield Millhouses in 1937 [R.J. Essery and G. Toms, Historical Locomotive Monographs No. 2 LMS Jubilees (Wild Swan, 1994)].

That all suggests the Dore & Chinley line - but I still can't get a good fit.

Edited by Compound2632

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

I would like to get this sorted if possible.

At least it rules out Apple doing mysterious things.

What software do you use to rotate any images?

• RMweb Premium

Not that it will help in any way to identify the location, but just noticed the unusual arms on the telegraph pole on the left. Most arms (except the top two) appear to have been cut short on the "track" side with only one pot fitted. 

• Like 1

The first picture is in fact Sheepbridge station north of Chesterfield, closed in 1967. Thought it looked familiar. Just looked up some images on Google, that's the place. 

Sheepbridge & Whittington Moor Railway Station Photo Chesterfield Area 4 (railwaystationphotographs.co.uk)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

I use Microsoft Photos.

I've never used that. Is there a specific way you orientate the images in the scanner? Do you have to rotate them in Microsoft Photos? Do the images show the correct way up in any Windows Explorer windows?

The software at this end on the server doesn't do anything to re-orientate any uploads.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, anroar53 said:

The first picture is in fact Sheepbridge station north of Chesterfield, closed in 1967. Thought it looked familiar. Just looked up some images on Google, that's the place. 

Sheepbridge & Whittington Moor Railway Station Photo Chesterfield Area 4 (railwaystationphotographs.co.uk)

Yes, all fits, up Sheffield express! Underbridge, underpass, houses on the north side: https://maps.nls.uk/view/114587345.

And what I took for picturesque limestone hills are in fact the Sheepbridge Ironworks slag-heaps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've never used that. Is there a specific way you orientate the images in the scanner? Do you have to rotate them in Microsoft Photos? Do the images show the correct way up in any Windows Explorer windows?

The software at this end on the server doesn't do anything to re-orientate any uploads.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  I have just re-orientated the photos using Microsoft Paint and they load OK.  I must admit that I haven't used Photos before.  My old PC ran on Windows 8 (and PhotoViewer IIRC) but was starting to give me problems.  Every so often it would crash and I would be staring at the Blue Screen Of Death.  It probably just needed some updated drivers but because it was too old to be upgraded to Windows 11 I didn't want to waste my time sorting it out.  I bit the bullet and bought a new PC running Windows 11.  I was actually quite pleased how easy it was to set up although I did need a new printer, the old one being so old it was not compatible and no drivers were available, and I had to download a patch for my Epsom scanner (once I found what I needed).  Photos seems to be the default programme for rotating photos but I shall now use Paint.  I thought I had overcome all the problems but clearly not!

Once again, many thanks

Chris Turnbull    

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

South is to the left - exactly where to the left depends on the time of day. Clearly a Midland location - the running-in board on the right. I think the train is on a falling gradient - from the exhaust the engine is not working hard, maybe even coasting.

So we're looking for a station that has its goods yard at the east end and an underbridge at the west end of the platforms, with houses on the north side. Also an underpass with steps down. Hill country - possibly a quarry on the south side?

The engine is 5637 Windward Islands, allocated to Sheffield Millhouses in 1937 [R.J. Essery and G. Toms, Historical Locomotive Monographs No. 2 LMS Jubilees (Wild Swan, 1994)].

That all suggests the Dore & Chinley line - but I still can't get a good fit.

Good to see that the location has been identified. It had me beaten.  Just a minor correction - the loco is Black 5 5037 (note lack of splashers and on this B5 the lack of step between the front frame extensions ) rather than the unlucky Jubilee 5637.

Simon

• Thanks 1

The easy way to tell a 5X from a Black Five is the position of the handrails on the boiler: half way up for a 5X and two-thirds up for a Black 'un. In this case, you're right about the lack of a step between the front frames, but only very early engines were devoid of this. Later ones had a step there from new and all the early ones soon received one. Possibly only Vulcan examples were built without it.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 65179 said:

Good to see that the location has been identified. It had me beaten.  Just a minor correction - the loco is Black 5 5037 (note lack of splashers and on this B5 the lack of step between the front frame extensions ) rather than the unlucky Jubilee 5637.

Simon

Bother - its being a Sheffield engine was so confirmatory! Where was 5037 shedded?