RMweb

Guide to railway pubs and breweries

Liam

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ian Fisher said:

Derby

not a brewery but a very good pub with its own 37 cab the Alex is just next door and hosts regular railway meets, its custodian is a promising modeler too.

I wonder if @Ralf would agree with you . . . . . . :jester:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

We don't seem to have mentioned bars on preserved railways, but perhaps that is out of scope. I have always enjoyed my visits to the King & Castle at Kidderminster (SVR).

In the mid/late 70s, a group of us from NSLTC did regular Merrymaker trips, London St P to London Euston via Carnforth. It was supposed to be to travel on the KWVR but we usally ended up in a Tim Taylors pub overlooking the railway about half a mile from Keighley station. Think it was called The Angel. The particular draw was that it was one of two TT pubs to sell the whole range of beers.

Will have to look it up to see if it is still there.

I mentioned a few on preserved lines.

Dont know the Angel at Keighley but I do know the Boltmakers which is out the station and turn left, a few minutes walk away. A small pub but has most of the Tim Taylors range on even when we visited last year. There is a bar in the main station building on the road bridge but is changed and havent been in since then.

Just remembered a few more

East Midlands

Nottingham - Bearheadz which is in the old taxi office attached to the left of main station entrance as you exit the station. Just a bit further down the road is the Vat & Fiddle, home of Castle Rock brewery.

Beeston, to the west end of the Nottingham bound platform (also accessible from a public foot bridge from the other side of the station) - The Victoria.

Long Eaton, across the road from the ticket office- Sawley Junction, a very nice micropub.

Dronfield, turn right out of the station (from the South bound platform and under the railway bridge- Dronfield Arms, with its own brewery

Edited by roundhouse
  • Thanks 1

The pub on the station at Bridlington had railway memorabilia in abundance when I visited the town a few years ago.

Sowerby Bridge station, the conversion of the  old goods office to a pub is an enthusiasts haunt, the landlord is "one of us".

The Corporation Taps in Doncaster,  not far from the station, used to be a haunt of haulage bashers at the weekend, a good source of railway "gen", is this current or moved on elsewhere in the town?

13 hours ago, Ray M said:

6-7-10 Donny

The Plant.JPG

Closed and derelict long before 2010, the date of the image,  in fact all pubs in Hexthorpe of Doncaster long gone or closed down 20 years ago,, there is only a working mans club left in Hexthorpe, a similar sitation in Balby  or Hyde Park areas of Doncaster, the urban areas of the town are dry, only the town centre "wet".

Edited by Pandora
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A smattering in rural South Hampshire:

Mottisfont & Dunbridge : The Mill Arms

Ashurst (New Forest) : The New Forest Inn

Beaulieu Road : The Drift

Bursledon (a short walk away) : The Jolly Sailor (the 'Howard's Way' pub)

• Thanks 1

West Midlands

Kidderminster: The Station  Farfield. Garden backs onto the station. Turn right out of the station and first right.  About 3 or 4 minutes walk

The Railwzy Bell. Opposite the station  if you feel brave

Hartlebury: The Tap House. In the old station building and they have to brewery  too. 

Stourbridge Jn: The North Star. End of the station drive. 

Hagley: The King Arthur. In the main street about 7 or 8 mins from station

Blakedown: The Swan and the Old House at Home. Both within a few minutes walk on the A456

Wolverhampton.: The Great Western. Corn Hill, between the station  and th old low level station

SVR

Highley: The Ship Inn. Short walk but a steep one back

Bridgnorth station: The Railwayman's Arms

Ansy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

South East

Lewes -  The Lansdowne Arms overlooks the station from Railway Road.

Harvey's brewery used to have a depot adjacent to the station yard.  It is now a community cinema with cafe/restaurant - surprisingly named The Depot.

The Lansdowne Arms Lewes 27 4 2017 4net.jpg

• Like 1

The Station, Knebworth

Right across the road from the station entrance,

saved from closure by the local residents, refurbed and reopened

during lockdown (within the rules and guidelines), friendly and a 

good range of brews.

Our choice after a club-night!

10 hours ago, Pandora said:

Closed and derelict long before 2010, the date of the image,  in fact all pubs in Hexthorpe of Doncaster long gone or closed down 20 years ago,, there is only a working mans club left in Hexthorpe, a similar sitation in Balby  or Hyde Park areas of Doncaster, the urban areas of the town are dry, only the town centre "wet".

Ha Yes .

me & the nephew, will be calling at a good few of the town centre watering holes, after the show.

this Saturday.

In Huddersfield, if you leave the station, on the left in St.George's Square is the George Hotel (where the Rugby Football League was formed); don't know what it's like for beer. If you carry on, turn left under the bridge is The Sportsman, another excellent old - fashoined boozer the last time I was in. In fact, if you've got a few hours to spare, Huddersfield is a drinker's paradise. My son introduced me to quite a few of the pubs when he was a student at the University. I'm just trying to remember the name of the one on the other side of the by - pass, near  opposite the leisure centre, but that too is well worth a visit. Got it; The Grove

On 10/02/2022 at 16:46, Joseph_Pestell said:

An ambitious project!

Thank you!

I suspect the next challenge is a race between RMwebbers to see who can be the first out of the esteemed members of this parish to visit some of these hostelries - on your marks, get set— 

• RMweb Gold

Somewhat belatedly, in my early twenties, I took my ancient roll film camera down to Burnham to record the environs of the town's station in case I ever wanted model the station. I knew that photos and drawings of the station existed but thought that maybe the streets alongside which trains had once run, would not have been so recorded.

There were three pubs or hotels within sight of the station. The Queens Hotel, at the sea front overlooking the jetty from which the S&DJR passenger ship Sherbro travelled to Wales. A little nearer the station, was the Pier Hotel and on the corner of High Street and Abingdon Street was the Somerset and Dorset itself. In more recent years it sported a sign with a 7F 2-8-0 on it. Slightly inappropriate as I am fairly sure they weren't allowed onto the Evercreech to Burnham line.

My brother-in-law had his stag do in the form of a pub-crawl around most of Burnham's pubs and hotel bars, so I am fairly sure that I have drunk in all three of these. I was still sober enough to be able to carry him, assisted by another reveller, upstairs in his lodgings and tuck him into bed.

Burnham environs Pier Hotel & Fortes.jpg

Burnham environs Pier Hotel & Fortes.jpg

Burnham environs Queens Hotel.jpg

Burnham environs Somerset & Dorset Hotel.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 62613 said:

In Huddersfield, if you leave the station, on the left in St.George's Square is the George Hotel (where the Rugby Football League was formed); don't know what it's like for beer. If you carry on, turn left under the bridge is The Sportsman, another excellent old - fashoined boozer the last time I was in. In fact, if you've got a few hours to spare, Huddersfield is a drinker's paradise. My son introduced me to quite a few of the pubs when he was a student at the University. I'm just trying to remember the name of the one on the other side of the by - pass, near  opposite the leisure centre, but that too is well worth a visit. Got it; The Grove

The George hotel has been closed for some years. Recently work has commenced on the building.

Yes Huddersfield is excellent for good beer. We were in the Grove last Autumn and stumbled across Arcade Beers in Station Street. Mainly craft beer but still very good. We were heading ot the Rat amd Ratchet first but ended up going straight to The Grove. Note that its opening hours are generally later than I recall they used to be.

• RMweb Gold

Par, Cornwall, junction for Newquay, has The Royal across the road, where I had a very suitable Sunday lunch.

Central London - The Harp, on the edge of Covent Garden, and basically a short walk straight up the road immediately opposite Charing Cross (i.e. not along The Strand!). I haven't been in for a while, but back in the '80s, then called the Welsh Harp, it was interesting to be there during the evening, because from time to time a bell would ring, and some younger, fitter-looking geezers would jump up and go out the back exit into the passage, Brydges Place, just behind it. They were the stagecrew for the London Colosseum, and a scene was about to end! 

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Par, Cornwall, junction for Newquay, has The Royal across the road, where I had a very suitable Sunday lunch.

And not bad accomodation.

A couple more  that I  can add

South East

Penshurst - Little Brown Jug, opposite the station. Not been in it but its on our to do list

Maidstone West - Cellars Ale House. Its about 3 -4 minutes walk. At the end of the station approach cross the double set of pelican lights and down the passageway, turn right back on yourself and its down the steps.

Edited by roundhouse

On 11/02/2022 at 06:48, Ray M said:

Ha Yes .

me & the nephew, will be calling at a good few of the town centre watering holes, after the show.

this Saturday.

So which pubs did you visit after the show, and how long did you stay in each?   How many of Doncaster's finest,  shouty shouty /  ear-piercing screaming hen party girls were out on the town?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pandora said:

So which pubs did you visit after the show, and how long did you stay in each?   How many of Doncaster's finest,  shouty shouty /  ear-piercing screaming hen party girls were out on the town?

Well after a walk back from the bus station (because of jobsworth, driving the free bus) wouldnt drop us of in town.

we had a quick 1 in the white swan

a couple in the coach n horses, Queen near the market, the courtyard, red lion, i think 1 called Franks

the back to the station & 1 more in the tut n shive.

And a mucky Kebab somewhere in between.

London

The Tap on the Line, Kew Gardens. Part of the station - built by the LSWR to take advantage of thirsty visitors to the gardens (which had no tea room)

The Metropolitan, Baker Street. Originally the restaurant at Chiltern Court, still bears the Met coats of arms inside.

The Swiss Cottage, Swiss Cottage. The station was named after the pub.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I stayed a couple of nights recently at a hotel directly opposite Warrington BQ station, the Petters Arms (?). Fairly awful but could be really good in the right hands,

The number of times that I have walked past that place but never been in (its actually the Patten Arms) . Done most other pubs in Warrington though.

We do use The Friar Penketh, a Wetherspoons which is about 5 minutes walk down the road to the side of the Petten Arms. Spoons is handy for food when heading ot Bank Quay station

Edited by roundhouse