Storing baseboards

Hi all,

After some advice please. I have a couple of built baseboards (constructed for micro layouts which are yet to progress). 

The boards are fully assembled, but do not have any trackwork or scenery on them.

Up to now, they've been stored inside the house in the corner of the spare room but household authorities are keen for this situation to change. 

We do have a garage and attic, but neither are particularly insulated or dry.

They've been glued and screwed together, so can't be dismantled and flat packed.

Anyone got any clever ideas as to how I could store them and minimise damage/damp and it's associated issues?

Matt

Ideally any storage solution ought to take into account how the layouts will need to be stored once they are complete.

Plenty of people build layouts in uninsulated lofts (the lack of insulation often tends to affect the layout builders more than the layouts!), however large, unbraced, baseboards in particular materials may exhibit some warping. However, if your boards are small and well-braced, they should be fine up there.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I suggest that a coat of paint on the boards would aid life and stability wherever the boards are stored- I normally use a light grey primer from B&Q- although I found out by accident that a white primer makes sub-board visibility better!

Chris

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I suggest that a coat of paint on the boards would aid life and stability wherever the boards are stored- I normally use a light grey primer from B&Q- although I found out by accident that a white primer makes sub-board visibility better!

Chris

I would always go for white for the very reason of visibility. 

As to storing the boards - make sure that air can get all round them, it will allow them to dry out should they become damp and will lessen the chance of mould. 

Edited by Kris
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the responses, much appreciated!

@chris p bacon - they are currently in the corner and won't fit under the bed.

I've actually taken a big risk today and slotted the slightly smaller board inside the larger. This frees up more space in my man-cave and she is yet to notice....

Good to know that I could put them in the attic when the inevitable happens though.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 15:11, Gilbert said:

Chris

CAn recommend Screwfix budget white primer. One coat covers well. Ten quid for 2.5 litres,