Westdale kit diagram identification

I am now certain that they form Bristol Division B sets (local not suburban) to diagrams E129 or E135. The bodies for these two diagrams were virtually identical but the E135 vehicles were marginally narrower than the E129 ones specifically for use on the Looe branch, however the difference was never more than 2 inches and thus barely noticeable on a 4mm scale model. Each B set was comprised of a permanently coupled pair of brake composites, each of which had four 3rd class compartments, a single 1st class compartment, another 3rd class compartment, the guard's compartment and finally the van. The vans were always at the outer ends of each twin set. Most B sets had flat ends but those to these two diagrams were bow-ended as per the kit.

Edited by bécasse
Updated, and confirmed, information

No idea.  Mine didn't have anything else in the box apart from the ends. Can't argue as it was a bargain and the instructions were always a bit vague anyway. 

However I believe the 7mm version was made from the same drawing and that is apparently an E145, but I might be mistaken as the guard doors aren't recessed.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

From the window arrangement the kits appear to be either E140's or E145's bow enders. The compartments in these were 4 x 3rd, 1 x 1st, 1 x 3rd. The van end had a pair of luggage door and a guards door each side with a window between the guard comp. and the last 3rd comp on the left hand (?) side. E140 was fitted with 7' plate bogies while the E145 had 9' type. The door and grab handles on both types were recessed in small square cut outs in the bodysides. As Jason mentioned the guards door is slightly recessed in the prototypes. 

Dave R. 

Edited by Devo63
Not finished when sent
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Devo63 said:

From the window arrangement the kits appear to be either E140's or E145's bow enders. The compartments in these were 4 x 3rd, 1 x 1st, 1 x 3rd. The van end had a pair of luggage door and a guards door each side with a window between the guard comp. and the last 3rd comp on the left hand (?) side. E140 was fitted with 7' plate bogies while the E145 had 9' type. The door and grab handles on both types were recessed in small square cut outs in the bodysides. As Jason mentioned the guards door is slightly recessed in the prototypes. 

Dave R. 

This was where I was heading but no recessed doors is whats throwing me.

It could just be a compromise from the era that it was originally made (1970s?). Quite difficult to make recessed doors and they probably expected anyone really bothered would alter the doors themselves.

Or possibly an error. ISTR the windows on the LMS Stove R are wrong compared to the Comet version being too small. I think the roof profile is also wrong on the Westdale version.

Jason

I have built a few Westdale kits over the years and find they require a lot more work to finish successfully than some of their contemporaries such as BSL. I have only one Westdale kit left to build in my collection for a K38 Ocean Mails van (I also have a BSL K38 which I intend to build at the same time for comparison). I have always found the ends of these kits hard to fit and the last couple that I completed I added some internal strips at the ends to provide a more secure attachment for the end pressings.  As the body has the sole bars as part of the pressing it is very difficult to insert an interior if both ends are attached. I always glazed the windows and inserted the floor with any compartment/seats first before attaching the ends. I have also found it harder to scribe any door or panel lines on these models compared to the BSL kits but it can be done. 

The body pressings are of their time in the history of model making. One advantage of the range was the preformed sides and roof which made it easier to assemble. The downside was the lack of detail on them due to the forming process which would explain the lack of cut outs and recessed guards door. The door could be carefully cut out and replaced by a piece of plastic or brass shaped to fit.