Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

Just got my NSE VEP this past weekend.

I fitted it with a Bachmann standard 8-pin decoder and the running quality was horrible! Thank goodness for buffer stops!

I did some searching online for jerky dcc operation, and fixed the problem by changing CV 55 to 10 and CV 56 to 60. Smooth as glass now! I noticed that the traction tires were on one axle only, so one on either side. My model had no problems with any gradient that I threw at it.

The one 'modification' that I made, was to loosen the screws holding the coupler mechanism at the front and back. I loosened it by about a half a turn, just enough so it was not so tight.

On a side note, my 73's also do not seem to have a problem with a 5 coach train (4 Bach MK1's & a Hornby Gresley)... so I don't know where all the complaints about pulling power are coming from?

Edited by br-nse-fan

One more thing to report: I noted one of the DTCs interior lights flickering for a while, then they went out completely. The headcode remained illuminated. This suggested one of the coupling contacts may be faulty. On further investigation, I discovered that one of the wires to the coupling on the motored coach had broken and come adrift, so yet another of the faults others have reported has now manifested itself on my unit!

I was able to undo the screw on the coupling and get at the PCB to resolder the broken wire. This is a rather delicate operation, something I am not particularly good at but I succeeded in restoring the lighting function without joining two of the wires together with a huge blob of solder (my more usual 'form'!).

• Like 1

I have heard of a couple of similar lighting faults showing up on these units, requiring re soldering, I am a bit dubious about the wiring on the 5 Bels's motor block. ( 4 cables with tiny soldered joints which with use and continuous movement caused by bogie pivoting may cause problems in time)

We were contemplating buying a 4-VEP to give it 'another chance' but decided to augment the fleet with a further Bachmann EMU!!

I've just spent 5 dyas working on my 4 VEP to make it look more like a $ VEP, I have moved the front end Corridor Door further into the Corridor Cionnection, re-vamped the cab interior - it was solid and shouldn't be, and spliced ina set of wndows and doors ffor the 1st Class compartments and its improved the look 110%. Also added the correct roof ribbing and just got to start on the other DT Coach now!

• Like 1

I've just spent 5 days working on my 4 VEP to make it look more like a 4 VEP, I have moved the front end Corridor Door further into the Corridor Connection, re-vamped the cab interior - it was solid and shouldn't be, and spliced in a set of wndows and doors for the 1st Class compartments and its improved the look 110%. Also added the correct roof ribbing and just got to start on the other DT Coach now!

I will post pics later this week, so you can give me your own opinions.

Now the wife has just bought me a NSE version, so looks like I'm going to have to re do this one as well.

I will post pics later this week, so you can give me your own opinions.

Now the wife has just bought me a NSE version, so looks like I'm going to have to re do this one as well.

This is the only way I know of showing my pics........https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150765195569639.401737.631914638&type=1&l=2a48230ee0.

You may wish to look through pages 15 - 25 (approx) of this huge thread. They show various modifications covered by various members (including myself).

Thanks will give it a look, looking forward to this..........................................

Looks nice what you've done, I think Gareth from Trains4U did a similar modification at the bottom of page 10:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17158-Hornby-class-423-4-vep/page__st__250

I would recommend lowering the headcode numbers as they should not be set in the middle of the window. I know it's a problem with the Hornby transfers (I ended up cutting a set of Heljan class 33 headcodes to fit)

I havnt been so aggressive with the saw as on page 10, I carefully cut out the door with a craft knife leaving 1 mm on the bottom, then reinforcing the coach front by welding a peice of plastic card into the cut aperture to give the body back its regidity, cut grooves in the side of this and the base to thread the LED wires and plate through and re assembled. I didnt lower the headcode as I realised once I had made the cut!!! My headcodes are placed inside the panel, which is correct and not on the outside which looks awful, but with what I've done I can live with it and have learned from my initial mistake.

Edited by 7153CepDriver

5357 and 5358 were given mainline gearing in the mid-60s, to cover a diagram which I think was probably 06 47 Eastbourne - London Bridge, ECS to Streatham Hill, 1751 Vic - Eastbourne. There may have been others later. Not good for older businessmen with bladder problems!

At Ramsgate, where I was Driver, we had 3 re-geared 4 EPBs used on the Ramsgate - Cannon St services and 1 on a Ramsgate Victoria, 5625/27/28 and they went like a rocket with CEPs attached, however VEPS gave a rougher ride if coupled to them.

At Ramsgate, where I was Driver, we had 3 re-geared 4 EPBs used on the Ramsgate - Cannon St services and 1 on a Ramsgate Victoria, 5625/27/28 and they went like a rocket with CEPs attached, however VEPS gave a rougher ride if coupled to them.

I remember riding on these, it was quite an experience. They were used until the 1992 service cuts reduced the stock requirement so that it could be covered solely by CEPs and VEPs. A number of 4 CAPs were also used in the same way.

Edited by andyman7

Yes I remember that. When Ramsgate got the first of the CIGs I loved it! But 3/4 of the crews claimed they werent trained on them because some had Electric Parking Brake instead fof the ships wheel hand brake, didnt worry me, I got to drive all of the Cigs and swapped over from the lousy jobs! CIGs definitely rode best of all the SR Stock and were a pleasure to drive, VEPS were tempremental whilst the CEPS would do anything you aksed them to.............happy days.................sadly gone..............

• Like 2

Yes I remember that. When Ramsgate got the first of the CIGs I loved it! But 3/4 of the crews claimed they werent trained on them because some had Electric Parking Brake instead fof the ships wheel hand brake, didnt worry me, I got to drive all of the Cigs and swapped over from the lousy jobs! CIGs definitely rode best of all the SR Stock and were a pleasure to drive, VEPS were tempremental whilst the CEPS would do anything you aksed them to.............happy days.................sadly gone..............

Its good to hear from, someone with actual hands on EMU experience!

I have only twice had the opportunity to ride the Southern EMUS London to Maidstone & back & that was years ago

Mind you we can get the feel of EMUs on the Merseyrail system I suppose,, (we are not far from Chester Here)

There is still talk of them electrifying the Bidston Wirral to Wrexham line on the 3rd rail system, and that line is within Hearing distance of home!

PS Have unsucsesfully been trying to work out what you are holding in your Avatar!!

It took me a while to get used to CIGs on the South Eastern Division but they're all history now and sadly missed (well, maybe not by the passengers...!) The grind up Sole Street bank and then suddenly everything takes off once you're over the top. The rare unchecked peak hour run down to Rochester Bridge was a joy to behold. The fastest ever Sittingbourne - London run I ever clocked was 54 minutes (including stops at Rainham. Gillingham and Chatham), then totally unchecked to London Bridge. The High Speed route nowadays is times at 58 minutes......

It took me a while to get used to CIGs on the South Eastern Division but they're all history now and sadly missed (well, maybe not by the passengers...!)

Far from it - the only ones with decent seats left..............given the 4-VEP torture instrument (complete with draft from the adjacent door) and the re-furb 4-CEP arsebreaker.............

Far from it - the only ones with decent seats left..............given the 4-VEP torture instrument (complete with draft from the adjacent door) and the re-furb 4-CEP arsebreaker.............

Well yes, compared to the VEPs, CIGs (especially phase 1 units) were the height of luxury. Those stupid armrests on VEPS ensured that the middle person in the three-seat could well find his posterior an inch from the seat cushion, wedged between the thighs of the passengers either side...... :O

Edited by andyman7

Well yes, compared to the VEPs, CIGs (especially phase 1 units) were the height of luxury. Those stupid armrests on VEPS ensured that the middle person in the three-seat could well find his posterior an inch from the seat cushion, wedged between the thighs of the passengers either side...... :O

a situation they've managed to worsen with the 450's...........not only wedged but actually touching the knees on the person opposite too........... :no:

Edited by Southernman46

• 1 month later...
Guest dubdee1000

I think that there remains a little uncertainty about the quality of the running of the model, despite the improvements listed by the retailers. Not a bad price and i suspect that there will be some takers, but i also think that the price has further to fall as Rails (and others) wish to shift their stock

• RMweb Gold

I have tried to check this question has not been asked but as 4TC is too few digits to search for I apologise if I have missed it.

Am I right in thinking that the 4TC is in effect an unpowered VEP and this is therefore an opportunity to buy for people who do not want to do third rail? one could buy a non running 33 off Ebay and it would make a good formation.

• RMweb Gold

I have tried to check this question has not been asked but as 4TC is too few digits to search for I apologise if I have missed it.

Am I right in thinking that the 4TC is in effect an unpowered VEP and this is therefore an opportunity to buy for people who do not want to do third rail? one could buy a non running 33 off Ebay and it would make a good formation.

Not so, I'm afraid. The 4TC unit was created from converted steam-hauled MK1 stock, whereas the 4VEP was new-build, high-density 3+2 seating with doors on every compartment - very different bodyshell to the MK1s. A "4SUB with corridors" as one SR railwayman succinctly described it!

Edited by RFS

I think that there remains a little uncertainty about the quality of the running of the model, despite the improvements listed by the retailers. Not a bad price and i suspect that there will be some takers, but i also think that the price has further to fall as Rails (and others) wish to shift their stock

The same newsletter from Rails also listed 2 Hornby sound locos a class 31 & an 08, both at reduced further prices, but both of those appear now to be sold out, the 4 VEP was still available earlier this evening.

I don't think that the 4 VEP if used to haul an unpowered 33 would actually be powerful enough!

During the brief time I had a 4 VEP in my possession, it seemed underpowered ( mainly I think because of the DRAG imposed on the trailer cars due to the strange way the axles are mounted) It certainly had difficulty negotiating a 1 in 60 gradiant on a 30" radius curve