Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

9 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Yup, my B&G 4-VEP spends its time inert (Motor gearing disconnected) between 2 Bachman 4-CEPs which they often did in reality - seems to work and I don't have to look at it's "face" as a result. When the new & improved B&G version appears - well I might or will probably just buy another Accurascale Class 31 instead ...................... 😁

Nah, save your money and wait for the Accurascale class 33 to be announced instead.... (my hopes).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gray69 said:

I am thinking of fitting a HM7000 to my VEP. Is the sound profile available for it yet.

nope - the closest is currently the class 73

Edited by JSpencer
  • Thanks 1

On 04/03/2024 at 16:16, JSpencer said:

As for prices of older VEPs, a certain auction site is showing all blue ones between £200 and £300 right now, but one was sold earlier today at £137 (normal bidding conditions).

The one you saw which sold for £137 had been modified with added weight in the motor coach and was fitted with Tyre less wheels on the motor bogie. The interior lighting was also dimmer than it should be and the original front couplings had been removed at one end and replaced with an NEM pocket attached to the bogie at the other as it said in the description. It was also not new and the modifications made to it would have been reflected in the end price. However, having said that I still don't think they are worth the £200-£300 price tag being shown. Again it's the old argument, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, metadyneman said:

The one you saw which sold for £137 had been modified with added weight in the motor coach and was fitted with Tyre less wheels on the motor bogie. The interior lighting was also dimmer than it should be and the original front couplings had been removed at one end and replaced with an NEM pocket attached to the bogie at the other as it said in the description. It was also not new and the modifications made to it would have been reflected in the end price. However, having said that I still don't think they are worth the £200-£300 price tag being shown. Again it's the old argument, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Indeed I feel £180 is about right.

• Agree 2

On 05/03/2024 at 12:26, Gray69 said:

I am thinking of fitting a HM7000 to my VEP. Is the sound profile available for it yet.

Final testing, so should be available soon. Keep an eye on the app as it will just pop up.

Edited by RAF96
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Indeed I feel £180 is about right.

I think that's probably correct, maybe even a tad high.

One can still pick up original issue mint 4CEPs in green for around £100 if you look carefully, sometimes a bit less, and one of mine has become a 4BEP after sourcing the bits from Bachmann for the Buffet coach. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to respray one of the green ones into all over Railblue, provided you could get the glazing out intact, as these as manufactured seem to command quite a premium.

John.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I think that's probably correct, maybe even a tad high.

One can still pick up original issue mint 4CEPs in green for around £100 if you look carefully, sometimes a bit less, and one of mine has become a 4BEP after sourcing the bits from Bachmann for the Buffet coach. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to respray one of the green ones into all over Railblue, provided you could get the glazing out intact, as these as manufactured seem to command quite a premium.

John.

I recently acquired a mint boxed green 4-CEP for £120 which considering this version was released in 2009 I thought was quite a reasonable price. For some reason, I have never seen a first version VEP come down that low unless it had a string of things wrong with it (other than the factory made ones!) and for what I would describe as an inferior model I find it rather strange.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, metadyneman said:

I recently acquired a mint boxed green 4-CEP for £120 which considering this version was released in 2009 I thought was quite a reasonable price. For some reason, I have never seen a first version VEP come down that low unless it had a string of things wrong with it (other than the factory made ones!) and for what I would describe as an inferior model I find it rather strange.

Hi,

Perhaps Bachmann sold a larger number of green 4-CEP than Hornby sold 'original' 4 VEPs?.

Or some of those who bought original 4 VEPs are too ashamed to reveal that they had by advertising them for sale?.

Regards

Nik

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 11/03/2024 at 16:59, metadyneman said:

Bachmann have done at least 3 runs of the original CEPs in Green and Blue/grey.

The 4-VEPs have only had 1 run of each all blue, NSE (initial run) then blue/grey a few years later that was discounted within a couple of months in a fire sale never to be seen again until recently in later liveries.

It is rather odd looking flea bay right now. Green CEP for around £150, refurbished CEP for over £550 non sound!!

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2024 at 17:34, Southernman46 said:

Yup, my B&G 4-VEP spends its time inert (Motor gearing disconnected) between 2 Bachman 4-CEPs which they often did in reality - seems to work and I don't have to look at it's "face" as a result. When the new & improved B&G version appears - well I might or will probably just buy another Accurascale Class 31 instead ...................... 😁

Hi, how did you / do you stop the motor running, is it a case of snipping a wire from the decoder, I'd still want the lights etc to work, just not the motor, I'll disconnect the gears, and tow around with an MLV / Cep etc, I'll multi up with these..

many thanks

Matt

9 hours ago, 33212 said:

Hi, how did you / do you stop the motor running, is it a case of snipping a wire from the decoder, I'd still want the lights etc to work, just not the motor, I'll disconnect the gears, and tow around with an MLV / Cep etc, I'll multi up with these..

many thanks

Matt

Disconnected the feed wires to the motor only and released the gearing so the wheel can run free - I'm a DC dinosaur so all that decoder stuff wasn't an issue for me 

• Like 1