Old plastikard

• RMweb Premium

Model shops sometimes sell styrene sheet supplied by Javis, which may be the kind which is glossier.  I find it doesn't cut so well by the 'score and snap' method.  Depending on thickness, it either doesn't snap, or does so leaving a ragged edge.  You really have to cut right through to get a decent edge.  On the other hand, I've got a few small bits of 0.5mm styrene sheet that came with American structure kits, that seems to be much better quality; possibly from Evergreen?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have some Slaters plastikard bought over 30 years ago that is as good as when bought, and have some plasticicard bought 5 years ago that is unusable. Which indicates a different formulation, the Slaters version was an ICI product, where does it come from now? is the question.

On 06/10/2022 at 12:21, laurenceb said:

I have some Slaters plastikard bought over 30 years ago that is as good as when bought, and have some plasticicard bought 5 years ago that is unusable. Which indicates a different formulation, the Slaters version was an ICI product, where does it come from now? is the question.

I also have some very old 30/40 years Slaters Plastikard.  No probs with that.   I have some more recent Slaters Plastikard still no problems.  

I have never used any other make, so can't comment on those.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

To clarify, the unusable stuff I had was sold as Slaters from a reputable source. The affected batch was 4mm red brick and 4mm red slates/tiles which have a shinier finish than usual. I have some other textured Slaters plasticard sheets which are around twenty years old, stored in the same box file that seem to be as good as the day I bought them; like Phil I suspect a rogue batch. 

Maybe not just plastikard. Today I cleaned out a small document case that had not been opened for a decade. Inside was a white "shatterproof" ruler. Standard school issue that you sat at the back of class competing to bend it more than double. It lay shattered like broken glass only held together by the frog tape I had once applied to prevent slipping whilst cutting.

• Informative/Useful 1