Unkown GWRly tank engine.

The motor is a Zenith X3, also called a Gem X3. 

I think the body is from an R M Evans kit.  This was before the Jamieson kit.  The differences were that the Jamieson kit used bent square section brass for the valances, the Evans kit had stamped valances;  Evans used a brass dome whereas I think Jamieson were cast.

The Essar box has nothing at all to do with the loco!

R M Evans was in business in the early 1950s which is contemporary with the Zenith motor, although stocks of this motor were still available in the early 1960s.

R M Evans was Martin Evans who later concentrated on large scale live steam and wrote for years in 'Model Engineer'.

I believe when he gave up the small scale business many of his tools were sold to Keyser who went on make the famous K's kits.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I built an RM Evans body kit, of an LMS 3F tank, a few years ago, and there do appear to be similarities:

Stamped(?) brass smokebox door

Splasher sides turned up from the running plate

Steps are stamped from one piece, with the middle step folded back on itself. Can't quite see if yours does that?

However my boiler and Belpaire firebox are a single stamping, whereas the pannier appears to have a fabricated firebox?

post-30882-0-09982800-1508928847.jpg.56351df2267412c50359d5878b50f086.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 05/05/2022 at 15:11, Steamport Southport said:

Jamieson?

JPannier_3402570_Qty1_2.jpg

I think those wheel cut outs give me the parentage of this poorly lump of pannier that arrived in a job lot of wagon parts last year!

image.png.7e6a4e40ea05aa8eed0eba8dcbecd872.png

image.png.bb28ec0905f64ec758331482edb0728b.png