4mm Diesel Headboard Clips

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of 4mm scale diesel headboard mounting clips as carried by some Class 25s, 37s, 45s and 46s?

These seem to be conspicuous by their absence on many existing RTR locos but I can't find anyone who can supply the parts ideally as a cast or 3D printed item.  Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Jeremy

Lamp irons? 

There are a few people make brass ones which just require bending to shape. PH designs ones come with a bending template type thing so they might be your best option. That or if you can pick up a vitrains loco detailing bag for a 37 it comes with all variety's that where fitted to the locos 

Thanks but not lamp irons. I can make those easily enough. 

These clips sit above the headcode boxes on Western Region Class 37’s. They appear to be a triangular bracket with securing bolt but would be quite fiddly to make. 

A casting or print would make life a lot easier….

Although not a great photo these clips can be seen on the front of this Class 25 at Grosmont.  They are the two yellow clips either side of the headlight and between the marker lights.

I’ll see if I can find a clearer photo later. 

43D70920-25AE-485E-9A7F-7DCBF62C1720.jpeg.0a1f79d1e8e464aeede323ddca6df562.jpeg

Jeremy

If you wanted to fit removable headboards, you would really want to set small magnets into the body and use a piece of steel for the board.  That's a level of detail I've not seen in 4mm, but I've used train headboards designed to fit onto the smokebox lamp bracket of O gauge locos.  I rather think that approach would be too fiddly 4mm though.

• RMweb Gold

I think the typical clips are seen here above the headcode of 37178, an ex South Wales loco seen at Dundee. 37178 also has more lamp irons than some 37's, those horizontal to the headcode panel for example.  

37178 Dundee

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, young37215 said:

An alternative clip, nameboard mount could be found on 37263 and others.

Which ever clip/board is under discussion, I have yet to find a model of them!

That’s a Stratford modification confined to their air braked batch D6960-8 …. Originally Used for the Hook Continental headboard. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The clips on the 37s look completely different to the 25 ones , then there was also the deltic headboard mountings.  We're there some loco specific headboards.?

I can't imagine that in normal service there were many train a 25 would work that had a headboard. 

Just a thought but were these possibly for destination boards?

Thanks for your various comment. Unfortunately the link to the ViTrains detailing parts has expired but I’ll follow this up separately.

There do appear to be slightly different designs of these clips as shown by the 25 and 37178. The ones on the Peaks look similar to the class 25 ones. 

I don’t want to actually fit headboards but these are quite a noticeable fitting especially on late 70s/early 80s locos particularly some of the Cornish clay Class 37s and Laira based 46s, both of which are in my modelling orbit. 

I’m sure I found some 3D printed ones on RMWeb some time back but so far have had no luck in tracking them down. 

Jeremy

On 06/05/2022 at 19:43, jbg said:

Thanks for your various comment. Unfortunately the link to the ViTrains detailing parts has expired but I’ll follow this up separately.

There do appear to be slightly different designs of these clips as shown by the 25 and 37178. The ones on the Peaks look similar to the class 25 ones. 

I don’t want to actually fit headboards but these are quite a noticeable fitting especially on late 70s/early 80s locos particularly some of the Cornish clay Class 37s and Laira based 46s, both of which are in my modelling orbit. 

I’m sure I found some 3D printed ones on RMWeb some time back but so far have had no luck in tracking them down. 

Jeremy

The Peak and 25 ones are identical.